homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » How you holding up?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How you holding up?
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted March 23, 2020 14:54      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope everyone is staying safe and surviving The Great Shut-in 2020.

It's been a real drag being sick to start out this (supposedly just influenza) but in some ways it was a practice run in hygiene. Nitro has caught it too, but a milder version.

Everyone able to find supplies? Our grocery stores are getting a little thinned out, but most stuff is still there. We could use some hand sanitizer though. [Mad]

Sure is eerie heading into town now and the traffic is so light, and so few people around. [Eek!]

Posts: 8193 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2020 03:36      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in self-imposed quarantine at the moment.
I have a minor cold (minor headache, minor sore throat, occasional cough), the kind of thing that wouldn't normally cause any real inconvenience, but these are not 'normal' times. It's very unlikely to be coronavirus, but I'd hate to be the guy with minor symptoms who spread it far and wide.
So I'm currently living in one room of Casa del Druid, and quite enjoying ordering 'room service' from other members of Clan MacDruid.

Meanwhile, the bigger picture in oz is pretty scary. There are currently only 2 states that haven't closed their borders, schools here in Victoria are closed, all sports have been cancelled, and they've even closed the pubs!
You know things are serious when aussies close the pubs.

[update] just after I typed the above, there was a knock on the door, and a very nice tofu curry had magically appeared in the hallway. Room service is nice!

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10712 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted March 24, 2020 13:50      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get well soon Druid, although you may want to self quarantine a few days longer than normal, to keep that magical tofu curry coming. [Big Grin]
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2020 20:44      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, things got 'interesting' today.
Druidling v1.0f has a cough, and has been told to self-isolate - something that's not possible in the shared house she'd been living in, so she's moved back in to Casa del Druid.
We only have one room suitable for quarantine, so...
I'm now camped out in the garage, while she's enjoying room service inside.
Shouldn't be for long though, I'm on day 8 of my 14, and the minor cold I had a week ago has all but vanished.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 30, 2020 22:56      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thankfully still working... however rotating an extra day off... travel only to and from work.... unable to visit fam due to distancing reqs and not be be possible vector.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1161 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted April 01, 2020 21:36      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hooray, I'm essential. Other office staff are alternating remote and on-site every other day but I'm the only one who can operate, maintain and repair critical machinery so I'm in 5 days. However the store I work weekends at is closed so I've got that going for me...
Posts: 797 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 15, 2020 22:07      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm doing good enough so that I have a little survivor's guilt. My kids live in their own places- and are also still on salary. My wife leaves in the afternoon to help with their kids. My WFH setup is comfortable. My sisters and mother are all near by and dooing well too.

I'm in the suburbs rather than directly in NYC so it is not nearly so crowded. I go food shopping around 7pm, so the stores are emptying out. I really don't have much to complain about.

Posts: 2911 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2020 11:44      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're safe here in Utah. My wife and I are both able to remote work so financially we aren't in the same place as many others. And so far no one has come down with anything. All in all we are feeling pretty grateful even if we are going a bit stir crazy.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2477 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2020 10:53      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both Mrs Stibbons and I are apparently essential, so we're enjoying going to work and paying extortionate nursery fees while everyone else is stuck at home on 80% pay doing useful things with their lives like exercise or learning a new skill... [cry baby]
Posts: 1153 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2020 07:52      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just fine, was unemployed before this started so nothing much changes in my daily schedule. Here's hoping Switzerland's plan to open everything in the 11th of May won't be a huge mistake.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3101 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 09, 2020 23:06      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm back in iso - and not feeling quite as casual about it this time.

I went to visit the Druid-mother yesterday for an early mothers day visit (the retirement village she's in limits visitors/day, so the clan had to visit in shifts - I got the first shift).
Long story short, she's got a fever and an occasional hacking cough, and I spent the rest of Saturday organising medical checks etc for her.
(Why she kept her condition secret until someone actually came to visit is a question for another time).
So, now we're waiting for her covid test results to come in, and I'm back in iso so I don't infect my immune-suppressed wife.

Pandemics are no fun.

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2020 01:32      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mums test came back negative.

--------------------

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted May 14, 2020 11:03      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Druid: that's good!

Looking forward to some good and available COVID-19 serological tests. It sure felt like I had it in early March. Probably not, but it would be nice to know.

quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted June 30, 2020 22:53      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're holding up so well that I am getting a bit of survivor's guilt. I am able to work from home and my wife is retired so she only leaves the house to visit my daughter and help with their child. I reclaimed my daughter's old bedroom as an office which I have made fairly comfortable. I am getting a lot of home improvement projects finished. I probably am suffering from low-level anxiety, but it's not making me lose sleep.
Posts: 2911 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture