homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Postcards from transitioning

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Postcards from transitioning
AmySox
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 13, 2017 04:36      Profile for AmySox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I posted elsewhere, I've been engaged in the process of transitioning from male to female. Here are some little vignettes from the process as it's happened so far.

I was presenting as female the day I went to submit my petition for a name change. I gave my papers to the clerk, then sat and waited. Eventually they called my name: "Ms. Bowersox? Courtroom A-1, upstairs." Now, I know that we should be addressed as the gender we present as, but, gosh darn it, I feel like I earned that "Ms." title!

A few weeks later, I came back to the court and got my final name change order. As I drove off from the courthouse, my first thought was, "My name is Amy Gale Bowersox." And, immediately thereafter, I thought, "No, my first name ain't 'Baby,' it's Amy, Ms. Bowersox if you're nasty!" [Big Grin]

The next day, I had a liberating realization: I can now apply red nail polish, and not have to worry about taking it off on Sunday night! [Smile]

After I got my new driver's license, I went to my bank to change my name on my account; they handled it quickly and professionally. Then I went and visited my credit union, which is a tiny office with only two people working there, and only one was there that day: Mystic, the president of the credit union. I told her, "I need to change the name on my account. My name is Amy Bowersox." She burst into tears and hugged me on the spot! This is one example of why it's good to deal with small, local credit unions. [Wink]

When it comes to credit-card companies, things are very labyrinthine. Only one of them would change my name over the phone. Two of them mailed me forms I had to fill out and mail back, along with suitable proof (copies of my name change order and my new driver's license). Two of them just asked me to mail those things directly. One wanted me to fax them (who uses fax anymore?). One was willing to accept scanned documents electronically. (I still haven't gotten all my new cards with the right name on them...)

When one of those replacement credit cards arrived, it came with a postage-paid envelope to ship the old one back for secure disposal. I thought I didn't need it, as I stuffed the card into the shredder. That card, though, was so thick and heavy, it jammed the shredder, and I had to put it in reverse to get the now-slightly-mangled card out. I then went ahead and put it in the envelope...

The day I returned to the office, the nameplate on my cubicle had been changed, and someone taped a "WELCOME AMY!" sign over one of my monitors. But it took about two days before I had my E-mail working correctly; our IT support people actually had to escalate a call to the E-mail system vendor to fix everything! Other things took awhile to fix as well, just so I could be "abowersox" instead of "ebowersox" everywhere.

When I changed over my car insurance, my premium actually dropped a bit...because a woman driving a car is lower-risk than a man. Bonus! [Smile]

A few days ago, I got a call from a recruiter, and I answered the phone in my feminine voice. She thought she'd gotten the wrong number, because she was looking for "Eric"! After I filled her in, she congratulated me on my transition, and was really happy for me.

Posts: 1484 | From: Denver, CO, US | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted August 14, 2017 03:27      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is really cool! I'm glad people are treating you with respect that you deserve. [Big Grin]
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted August 14, 2017 11:43      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Applause] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause]
Posts: 5846 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted August 14, 2017 11:47      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Applause] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause]
Posts: 5846 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
AmySox
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 16, 2017 16:56      Profile for AmySox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just changed the name on my "Eric" GitHub account to "Amy," and deleted an old "Amy" account that I had for other things. (It had pretty much nothing associated with it.) When GitHub deleted that account, they sent me an E-mail saying "sorry to see you go, please reply to provide feedback." I replied, saying "I'm not actually going. I'm just consolidating accounts now that I've transitioned." One of their staffers E-mailed me back with his congratulations; he's a member of the LGBTQ community himself, and appreciated how I "empower others to have the confidence to be who they are." Now that's customer service!
Posts: 1484 | From: Denver, CO, US | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture