homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » So, druidling V2.0f went in to the city today...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: So, druidling V2.0f went in to the city today...
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2017 04:05      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And then this happened, in Melbournes main shopping street.
(tl;dr - Nutter drove 4 blocks along the footpath, mowing down everyone in his way.)
Called her - no answer.
Texted her - no answer.

3 hours later, she answered.
She's fine, was nowhere near the nastiness.

Today has not been a good day. [Frown]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10659 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2017 09:37      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad the druidling was OK, but that is terrible news to read.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2459 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted January 20, 2017 11:14      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh jeeze, that must have been terrible.

Glad she's OK, [Happytears]

so sorry to hear about Nutter. [Mad] [shake head] [weep]

Posts: 8075 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2017 16:47      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TFD Kids not knowing what news that parents have may blow grown ups attempts to contact them. To get your message across you may have to reverse the story and let them stew.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5812 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 22, 2017 16:31      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no idea what TheMoMan just said. But maybe the core point is that when something strange happens, you and your children/parents might be on opposite sides of the news feeds. I have examples going both ways. Seven years ago I dropped my daughter off at the airport, where she had a ticket on US Flight 1549. I spent the morning working quietly in my office at home until I got a frantic call from my wife. She was frantic, but relieved, since the flight had been delayed, so they bumped her off because she would not make her connection. So, real tragedy, but I was oblivious.

On 9/11/01, I was again working in my office, when mail started coming from our VP about how we should drop everything to give support to our customers on Wall St. at this time. Again, I thought, "Did something happen?".

And on the other end of it, I was on a business trip a few years ago. When I got to my hotel, the first mail I read was from my wife, saying "Call you mother and tell her you are not in jail". The second was from my manager saying that if I had to send the team home he preapproved any expense. Again, I thought, "Did something happen?".

The two takeaways are obvious. 1. If "something happens" that makes the news, your family worries about you. 2. I have no idea what is going on in ultra-current events. For #1. Call home. For #2, that's OK. I am protected by the god that protects drunks and children.

Posts: 2898 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2017 09:07      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back story, while in the service Nat News my dads favorite reported about home town sailor getting killed in traffic. I called home to warn my parents that all was well with me. However they had missed the nightly news show.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5812 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture