homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Lunar Eclipse 2014

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lunar Eclipse 2014
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted April 15, 2014 16:05      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope some of you got to see the show! I took some quick pics…

-

-

-

-

oops, how did that last one get in here! [Big Grin]

Posts: 7803 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted April 15, 2014 16:13      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Applause]
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 15, 2014 16:24      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last night we had a monsoon here, so no moon for me.

Sunday it was 80F and sunny. This morning it was 60F when I woke up and 40F about an hour later. Now there is snow on the ground. Yay.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1662 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2014 08:09      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heavy overcast,

--------------------
If it don't glow it ain't Ham Radio

Posts: 5421 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2014 12:44      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We had clear skies here, but the moon rose fully eclipsed, so we only had a few minutes before the light started to shine on one edge.

It's starting to be a bit of a pattern here, this lunar eclipse, the last solar eclipse, and the transit of Venus, were all low on the eastern horizon, where trees and tall buildings make viewing difficult.

Well done with the photos Snaggy, eclipses are a challenge, because they tend to be kinda dark.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10434 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2014 14:22      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ugh, MightyClub:
Last night we had a monsoon here, so no moon for me.

Sunday it was 80F and sunny. This morning it was 60F when I woke up and 40F about an hour later. Now there is snow on the ground. Yay.

Seriously, WTF?!

I know we had some snow on April 1st a few years ago, but I can't recall the last time it snowed in the middle of April. Especially not after such warm weather. Global weirding is really...weird. :/ It was raining much of yesterday afternoon and while I'd seen some predictions of snow, I thought it was nuts. Until, of course, I watched it come down furiously after midnight. After decades of watching snow fall (I still [hearts] NY), you wouldn't think I'd be transfixed by the sight of it, but it was utterly surreal to behold. A lot of it has melted by now, but I must once again don my winter coat. In April!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9195 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2014 20:04      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snowed in mid-April every year when I was in Rochester. And then my senior year we had a godawful ice storm as well. That was pretty fabulous. Some people were without power for >two weeks. Has it changed that much in ten years?

In Boulder, snow at any point in April is expected and it's not too terribly uncommon to see snow on May 1st. In fact, it's not unheard of to see snow in the middle of May. Even if it doesn't snow in May, there's a good chance it will frost. That's why you need to be very thoughtful about what you plant before May 30.

Posts: 7667 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2014 23:26      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Has it changed that much in ten years?

I was originally going to say 'no, it's just that Rochester is further north,' but then I looked at the data.

All links point to "weather-warehouse.com" and are for the month of April, in reverse chronological order:
Rochester, NY
New York, NY
Ithaca, NY

Apparently, Rochester has had mostly calm Aprils over the the last 10 years.
Historically, down here, we've gotten very little or no snow in April.
And many years have dropped little snow on Ugh (who's north of me, and south of Rochester).

This was the data I found most readily with DuckDuckGo - data pointing out actual dates may exist elsewhere. I think the 2006 snow that we got was early in the month (I have this fleeting memory of it being on April 1st).

In a case of weather gone mad - apparently we got more snow than Rochester & Ithaca this February. This winter was absolutely awful. I'm used to cold and snow, but the cold was unrelenting (polar vortex = /me shakes gloved fist at sky) and the snow buried us something fierce a few times (we don't normally get as much as upstate - so frequent repeated snowfalls of > 6" is abnormal). Also, the last few winters have been surprisingly mild, so I think we got lulled into complacency. :/

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9195 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted April 17, 2014 16:01      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Druid.. I basically just pointed and shot with that Canon Powershot SX50! remarkable!
(wish it was easier to lock focus and aperture though)

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2014 20:07      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
o_O

I feel stupid for having missed the orig. post! I followed the link to Ugh's ~3rd post originally and got stuck in cranky weather mode. [Wink]

Great pics! (Nitrokitty looks quite content to have left you staring up at the sky. [Wink] )

I seem to recall hearing this was a west coast thing only though - so I didn't really make an effort to observe. Lucky you for getting to behold it. [Smile]

--------------------

Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2014 23:05      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, sorry to get you all riled up, dman! This winter was awfully craptacular in many ways though.

Back on point, Snaggy, you didn't even use a tripod?! If that's the case the image sensor in that SX50 is barely distinguishable from magic!

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1662 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted April 23, 2014 15:58      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ugh: Actually, I think I did use a tripod, (but not with a cable release or timer)

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.