homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » John Hurt?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: John Hurt?
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 21, 2013 18:42      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finally got around to iPlayering the finale of the Doctor Who season. Wow. I've been a big fan of season 7, feels like it's a real homage to the original, only sassed up a bit with Clara as the companion.

But what is going on with the John Hurt storyline? I can't wait for November. But before I say any more, I forget, how far behind (if at all) is DW in the colonies?

Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 21, 2013 20:03      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure its current here. I watched it Sunday night via something like, but not quite the same as iPlayer. [Razz]

I'm really not sure - I'm wondering if it's anything like the Christmas special from ~2 years ago.

I haven't kicked into analytical mode yet - I'm still in a bit of shock at the November bit. I kind of thought the 'Doctor-lite' episode recently was a hint that a finally was in the works, but I guess I thought wrong. (Or perhaps they spent their budget on the grave?)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2013 00:44      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It airs here on Sunday night, which, due to (wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey technobabble), is about 14 hours after the UK airing.

####################################################################################
### BEWARE: HEYRE THERE BE SPOYLERS ##################################################
####################################################################################
Getting a bit tired of the whole "you can't cross your own timeline - unless the writers want you to" thing. The Doctor has crossed his own timeline so often I half expect to find out he's his own father.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2013 21:25      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay,

Big time speculation from a looooong time Doctor Who fan.

First the setup for those who only know Doctor Who from the 9th on. The 4th Doctor had a companion named Romana who was also from Gallifrey. She of course was a Time Lady and also could regenerate. When she did she tried out like four or five different bodies before settling on one. Now I don't think she used up four or five regenerations. That would be crazy. We know from the Christmas invasion that the 10th was able to reform his hand that was cut off because of residual energy. I believe this explains how Romana was able to do this.

So my theory is that near the end of the Time War, the 8th had to regenerate because he was dying. He regenerates into the "John Hurt" Doctor. While still fresh from his regeneration, he does something that disgraces the name of the Doctor to end the Time War. I do not think it's the genocide of the Daleks and the Time Lords. The Doctor has one motive, to protect the innocent, to heal. Remember the episode with the space whale that New Britain was built on. He thought he was going to have to destroy its mind to save all the people. Remember what he said. "I will have to find a new name because I won't be the Doctor anymore." It would have crossed the line. I think ending the Time War caused innocent lives to be destroyed and that what he did was the direct cause of it.

This devastated him so much and since he had regeneration energy left in him he caused himself to change again before it would cost him another one. So he is an in between as it were. This explains why Clara did not see him since it was for only a short time.

Somehow he will of course show up in the next episode, probably due to the 11th jumping into his "time scars" to save Clara.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2013 13:18      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Big thing that has me in a bit of a snit....

Series 7 part 2 with the exception on 2 episodes has been lackluster...

We get the 50th in November...

A Christmas Special.

After this NOTHING till Autumn 2014....

Moffat, if not careful could kill the show... As genius as he and Mark Gatiss are, they are treading a fine line.

Score-wise, Murray Gold and orchestrator Ben Foster have done well this series!

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 02, 2013 14:16      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FYI: Just saw this on NYT:
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/06/02/doctor-who-star-matt-smith-is-leaving-the-series/?hp

Since there's no mention of John Hurt, I expect that's a red herring, but blimey...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 03, 2013 12:21      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22741493
quote:
"Somewhere out there right now - all unknowing, just going about their business - is someone who's about to become the Doctor," Moffat hinted
That suggests to me that it definitely won't be John Hurt. Moffat has hinted on the radio that it might be a female reincarnation for the Doctor next
Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 03, 2013 17:52      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stibbons:
quote:
"Somewhere out there right now - all unknowing, just going about their business - is someone who's about to become the Doctor," Moffat hinted

I'm available.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 03, 2013 17:56      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stibbons:
Moffat has hinted on the radio that it might be a female reincarnation for the Doctor next

quote:
Me:
The Doctor has crossed his own timeline so often I half expect to find out he's his own father.

T'would be cool if he was regenerated as Susan Foreman, then s/he could be his/her own grandfather/granddaughter.

--------------------

macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 04, 2013 00:55      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Druid... NOW THAT IS WIBBLY WOBBLY!

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 05, 2013 17:09      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's entirely possible he's trolling us, but Wil Wheaton has suggested that he knows who has already been cast as the next Doctor.

http://wilwheaton.tumblr.com/post/52070722588/british-actor-chiwetel-ejiofor-has-been-given-7-1

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture