homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » First World Problem

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: First World Problem
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2013 08:31      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first mobile phone I got was a little Nokia 5110, 14 year ago. I signed the paperwork, the guy in the phone shop put a SIM in for me, and that was it, the phone worked.

Those were simpler times.

Mrs Druid and I recently upgraded our iPhone 4's to iPhone 5's

We stopped in at the phone shop, filled in some paperwork, and the guy went and got our phones. He then stuffed about for several minutes trying to connect to the in-store Wi-Fi to register them, failed, and then (I kid you not) asked us to wait while he walked a couple of blocks to another store to use their Wi-fi.
So Mrs Druid and I entertained ourselves choosing cases for our new phones, and a few minutes later the guy returned, panting, he'd been running, and our phones were now 'registered' (whatever that means).

Cases chosen, credit cards swiped, and 2 shiny new phones in hand we were then told it would take up to 3 hours for the network to register the change, and until then we should continue to use our old phones.
4 hours later, the new phones beeped, and displayed a text message indicating they were now active.

Next came the task of transferring all the data from the old phones, we connected the old phones to our Mac Mini, synched them with iTunes, then connected the new phones to load the saved data....

...Which we couldn't do, because the version of iTunes we were running wasn't compatible with the 5, so we had to upgrade iTunes...
...which we couldn't do because the version of iTunes we needed required OS X 10.6 or greater, and we were running 10.5, so we needed to upgrade OS X...
...which we couldn't do because the Apple Store doesn't keep OS X DVDs any more because these days you get OS upgrades on the App Store...
...which we couldn't do because tApp Store support first appeared in 10.6 and we're running 10.5, so we had to order the disks online to be mailed out to us...
...which I didn't want to do because I had a shiny new toy and I didn't want to wait several days before playing with it, so I did a ring around and found a mac geek friend who had a 10.6 installation disk I could install from...
...which I couldn't do because the DVD drive in the Mac Mini refused to read the disk, so I put it in another Mac and used the weird Mac Remote Disk Sharing magic to do the install across the network...
...which I couldn't do because, well, I dunno, it just didn't work, so I dug through the boxes in the garage and eventually found an old USB DVD drive to attach to the Mac Mini and install that way...
...which worked! An hour later I had the new OS installed, and the phones synched to the new version of iTunes. Woot!

An hour later, I tried to print a document...
...which I couldn't do, because the Mini had forgotten all of its printer setup, so I went in to the System Preferences to set up the new printer...
...which I couldn't do, because the Canon network printer we have just plain wasn't being detected by printer setup, and even when I manually told it what printer I had and what IP address it was on, it didn't work.
Half an hour of googling later, I had a solution...
1. Connect the Canon printer to the USB port...
...which I couldn't do because of where the Mini was placed, so I ended up using 2 USB cables and a USB hub as a very long extension lead to the printer
2. install the printer as a local printer...
...which, much to my surprise worked first time.
3. Run Software Update to get the latest Canon drivers from Apple
4. Disconnect the USB port, and go in to Printer Setup to set up the network printer...
...which I could do, as the Canon now magically appeared in the network printer list
5. Delete the Canon USB printer from my list.

I printed a PDF document, and everything worked fine.

Woot!

Half an hour later, Mrs Druid tried to print from Firefox, and got nothing but blank pages. Still haven't figured that one out...

It Just Works™ my muscular buttocks!

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2013 09:52      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Mrs. recently down graded from an Android to a dumber phone, While we were at the phone store she was asked if she wanted her ring tones and contacts moved SURE THING. It took the sales woman about three minutes to do, The new phone did not go active until later that evening.

I am not panning Apple, however in the phone stores they have a lot of resources WiFi BlueTooth and USB cables.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2013 11:50      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep that in mind next time you spend 3-5x what the hardware is worth because it's in white plastic.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2013 19:27      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It just works

...eventually

...after you mess around with it for a few hours.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2013 01:24      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TFD: You sir, had a fantastically successful computing episode. [Smile]

I do think the mobile setup part @ the store is quite possibly the most pitiful part.

Canons and Macs...ugh. I have access to a Canon printer -- my Mac just can't find the driver and I've long since given up. I have a ~10 year old HP LaserJet - it's an utter champ and never gives me any trouble with my laptop. Having been burned by printer drivers @ work on a few occasions, I'm really quite hesitant to load unnecessary software; OS provided drivers that presumably won't leave cruft behind are my preferred option. (Now that we have Canon printers at work, I grudgingly installed a Canon UFR II driver on my work laptop, but I wouldn't dream of letting my own laptop get tainted by some drivel that can't be uninstalled. [Dear Tim Cook - please fix the 'lack of uninstall problem'])

Devil's advocate - I wonder how the printer part would have gone on Linux? [Wink]
It /probably/ can't be worse than X11 config., but I've had 'fun' trying to set up CUPS years ago, and don't know if it's much improved since.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2013 01:51      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Canons and Macs...ugh. I have access to a Canon printer -- my Mac just can't find the driver and I've long since given up.

The backstory there is the weird Canon USB-over-ethernet protocol that's needed to talk to their printers on a network.
The base OS X doesn't come with it, but if you install a Canon printer attached via USB, **then update your drivers** it will download the full thing that includes the weird network protocol support.

quote:
Devil's advocate - I wonder how the printer part would have gone on Linux? [Wink]

Badly.
There are Linux drivers for **some** Canon printers, but not my specific model. The driver I've installed does basic text well enough, but anything beyond that is best printed from one of the many non-Linux boxen in Casa Del Druid.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2013 03:32      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ubuntu, seems to have some better control over Cups, it seems to find the USB printer (a HP plugged into the Mrs Laptop).

Puppy, even with the port info, printer info, Puppy does not want to print except when the printer is plugged into the machine running Puppy. No Wifi printing.

When I was using Ethernet cabling Ubuntu worked Puppy was hit or miss.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2013 22:00      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha, TFD, we had an experience almost identical to the first part of yours when the younger clublet got her iPod 5 late last year. I had to scour the internets for some secret link to a top-secret apple store page where they would grudgingly sell us a copy of Snow Leopard.

Then they apparently paid UPS to walk it 15 feet (*cough* 5M) to the nearest US post office drop as near as I could tell from the tracking history.

We did not, however, have any printing trouble that I can recall after the upgrade, nor did we struggle with the DVD drive in our MBP.

Though we are struggling with a stone dead MBP battery which was barely a year old when it went stone dead and made me very very irritated. So irritated that I have thus far declined to replace it. Which sucks when the MagSafe decides to pop off.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2013 08:51      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ugh - contact Apple... they expect a battery to be at no worse than 85% of original quality at 300 charge cycles...

If your battery is dead at a year... that should warrant a free replacement

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture