homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » So, I had surgery (warning: gross)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: So, I had surgery (warning: gross)
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2013 21:12      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's some trivia you never wanted to know:
A large, open surgical wound that goes deep enough to open up the muscle tissue of your leg will smell almost exactly like what a fresh piece of beef smells like when you're cutting it up for stew, fajitas or whatever (if it's not infected, that is... infected wounds have a different smell).

It's not a strong or particularly offensive odor, but... yeah. It's going to be a long time before I fix beef stew again.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6355 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2013 01:09      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know there's a mountain of research showing that patient outcomes are better with 'keyhole surgery' and local anaesthesia, but I suspect those studies ignored the psychology.
Basically, being conscious during surgery is frakkin' creepy, it' the kind of thing that's forbidden by The Geneva Convention.
Just typing this, I'm getting vivid flashbacks to the smell of burning flesh, **shudder**!

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10410 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2013 06:07      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gentlemen ask any Operating Room Nurse to describe the smell when a healthy abdomen is opened, its about like babies breath. Diseased that's an all new set of reference. Ask an ambulance attendant about a crash and burn, my first ambulance ride was an air-plane crash, every one on board was burned to some extent.

I reported a few years back about coming upon a fresh road kill dear, still warm. Those smells brought some pretty bad flashbacks. I do not hunt, I probable could not finish the field dressing of the creature.

Yes I know those smells too well.

--------------------
If it don't glow it ain't Ham Radio

Posts: 5342 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted February 03, 2013 12:20      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Famous Druid wrote:
being conscious during surgery is frakkin' creepy, it' the kind of thing that's forbidden by The Geneva Convention.

I suspect that your state of mind going into the surgery determines how creepy it is. I've been through several surgeries where they used [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twilight_anesthesia]twilight anesthesia[/url. I'm fairly resistant to the memory-loss effect, however, so I remember quite a bit and all I felt was morbid curiosity.

It probably helps that I aways ask lots of questions before hand, so each time I knew what they were doing and why and wasn't overly nervous. I could sort of feel what they were doing, but it didn't hurt particularly badly so it was just an interesting thing to experience for me. To be honest, I would have preferred having a mirror so I could watch what was going on, though that would probably horrify most people.

The smell, though? I didn't smell that during surgery (face mask with oxygen and whatever anesthetic gasses they're giving pretty much prevents that). The smell is what I experience every time I change the wet-to-dry dressing. I probably have at least a month of that to go.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6355 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.