homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » East Coast Roll Call

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: East Coast Roll Call
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted November 02, 2012 10:23      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jessycat, angryjungman, dragonman, et. al.

Hailing all East-Coast GCers! How'd you fare through the super-storm? Do you have electricity yet? If not, how are you posting?

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2330 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2012 11:45      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The coast got hammered pretty hard, but for my area the hype was for naught. We had a steady 5 - 10 mph breeze Monday night with a few mild gusts and not a lot of rain. My heart goes out to all those that were not so fortunate [Frown]

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1673 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2012 19:41      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jessycat is fine - her neck of the woods didn't get hit. (Dunno about ajm.)

I'm dealing with a pretty ugly mess, but hey...I'm alive...and have a generator to run essentials (water!). (Our area is just...ugh. ETA for power is 9 Nov @ 2359. I just drove 20 miles tonight to get gas (we're bone dry in a 10 mile radius), and all along the way, countless traffic lights were out. [They're out at least 5 miles in the other direction, too!])

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9220 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2012 23:28      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to hear y'all are OK.. Any word on AJ?

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1127 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted November 03, 2012 14:31      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dragonman: whoa. Hang in there geek!
Posts: 7836 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jessycat

Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted November 05, 2012 22:16      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi!

Thanks for checking in!!! Yes, totally fine here in Hell's Kitchen. My lights flickered a few times, and there was the occasional strong breeze and some pissy rain. I was WAAAAYYY over-prepared (just like last time) but I'd rather be safe. Stayed in all day and watched the horrifying news footage.

Broadway was cancelled Tuesday night but we were back for the matinee on Wednesday. Some people travelled for 3+ hours but we all made it. Seemed silly to me that we had shows, but it wasn't up to us.

How are things looking now, dman??

xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Posts: 486 | From: NYC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2012 08:42      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a veteran of surviving hurricanes, I can tell you right now that one can never be too well prepared for one. Glad to see that all of you are doing well.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2012 12:01      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's new, Jessycat? Woah-oh Woah-oh oh oh!
(sorry, couldn't resist.)

Yay! Good to see everybody's relatively okay. [Applause]

Still no word from ajm yet... [Confused]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2330 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 07, 2012 09:00      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No word, because he just saw the post. [Big Grin]

All good here. We're in the western part of central NJ so we weren't hit too hard. We only lost power for about a day and nothing fell on our house.

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 632 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 07, 2012 17:12      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by angryjungman:
No word, because he just saw the post. [Big Grin]

All good here. We're in the western part of central NJ so we weren't hit too hard. We only lost power for about a day and nothing fell on our house.

Glad to hear it, ajm!

And at long last, I got power back midday today...only 8.5 days after losing it. :/ (And nearly half of my town is still without power.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9220 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2012 10:31      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We lost power again last night because of the snow storm, but thankfully it came back right before I had to get in the shower this morning. [thumbsup]

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 632 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2012 19:30      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guys, just to give you some perspective about what it's going to take to recover from this thing...

My senior year of college Rochester got hit with a terrible ice storm. Campus was fine as we had our own power plant, but everywhere else was frakked. In fact, two weeks later, people out in the suburbs were still without power and there were still stretches of major roadways that had no lights. Faculty at the UR were pissed that there wasn't so much as a blip in the class schedule because that meant they had to arrange for childcare (all K-12 schools were closed) and travel in the immediate aftermath of a major ice storm. Fortunately, it was April so the chances of people freezing to death were slim but it was still ugly and I vividly recall one patient I took to the hospital who, after a couple weeks without power, had a nervous breakdown. He called 911 himself and asked to be restrained because he knew he got violent. I was very glad he did that, and that the cop who put the cuffs on was in the back with me, because he was a large and strong man and he did indeed start going berserk in the back of the ambulance. Fortunately, he was restrained. Anyway, when I graduated about a month later, the ambulance corps was still trying to hunt down all the oxygen bottles we'd handed out to people whose home oxygen machines weren't working due to the power outages. And there were still heaps of branches sitting on the curbs, waiting for pick-up. And I'm not sure the lights on West Henrietta Rd. south of the canal were back on yet or not. But people did have power. And yeah, it was declared a state disaster zone. Not federal though. It was, at the end of the day, just an ice storm.

Hurricane Sandy was worse by a good three or four orders of magnitude. So, yeah, it's been a while for some of you and that really sucks with winter coming on and I've donated to Sandy relief funds because there's nothing else I can do but it's going to be a while before all the lights come back on. Eight, nine, ten, eleven days isn't going to cut it. Some people are going to be dealing with this shit for weeks. That's just the way it is. [Frown]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2012 05:55      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To the person whom does not know how the power gets to the switch, they do not care that the wires are down "put them back up".

Day one company surveyor checks out the areas, and determines the amount of work and resources needed for this area/number of customers.

If your fault is difficult and there are not many people involved you end up at the end of the list.

Last night I heard one person "in America how can the power be out for eight days?" I wish I could show her my worn out generator, twenty six days during a heat wave, no AC

Buried wires they have their own problems moisture intrusion. We use wireless phones here because the Fly-by-Night phone company does not pressurize their cables.

--------------------
If it don't glow it ain't Ham Radio

Posts: 5494 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2012 09:25      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've done a fair bit on work for electrickery providers here in paradise.

Just working in the comfortable air-conditioned office, I learned more than I ever wanted to know about what goes on behind the scenes to make sure the light goes on when you flick the switch.

The magic that goes into making High Voltage transmission lines work is awesome. Even under normal conditions, switching 400kV without making a VLB (Very Loud Bang) is a non trivial exercise, and getting that stuff working again when it's been under a couple of metres of muddy water for a few days is scary beyond belief. Every one of the former linesmen I worked with had Near Death Experience stories.

So please, try to remember that the sparkys who are slowly getting things working again are having a far worse day than you, and the delays are probably due to their desire to see their wives and kids again.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10473 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.