homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Interesting drive to work this morning

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Interesting drive to work this morning
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 31, 2012 21:37      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was driving to work on the freeway this morning, when the truck I had just overtaken lost its load of 200 litre (EN_US:55 gallon, EN_UK:44 gallon) oil drums.

Those things bounce high when they hit the road at 100 km/h!

I'm very glad I was a few metres in front of the truck when it happened, and not a few metres behind. One of those things through the windscreen could have been the end of my story.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10670 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted May 31, 2012 23:26      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
whoa! [Eek!]

Thanks the old Druid gods you made it!

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2012 05:58      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WORK WHAT'S THAT? all I can say is whew!

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2012 08:53      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coulda been worse, dude!

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2012 18:38      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
Coulda been worse, dude!

Spungo's erotic fantasy...
<sings>
It's raining sheep,
Halleluhah! it's raining sheep...
</sings>

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10670 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 02, 2012 00:30      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Coulda been worse, dude!

Okay...my jaw kind of dropped on that one. Wow.

Got a Google Alert set up for certain key phrases, do ya mate? [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 03, 2012 11:22      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:
Coulda been worse, dude!

Okay...my jaw kind of dropped on that one. Wow.

Got a Google Alert set up for certain key phrases, do ya mate? [Wink]

Ha ha! You'd think so, but I was just perusing the Beeb and that headline kinda caught me attention, as you would imagine. (That's my story, anyway! ;-) )
Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 04, 2012 13:47      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, great timing!

The closest I have come to something like that is several years ago when we were traveling back to the States from Toronto. Some fool passed us on the freeway going well over 100 km/h, pulling a boat on a trailer. A few minutes later traffic slowed to a crawl because his boat had slid off the trailer.

Turns out his beautiful boat did not float nearly so well on asphalt as it did on water. Luckily he had advanced far enough ahead that we were not in any danger when it happened.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1740 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 04, 2012 17:16      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many years back I was behind an auto that lost its muffler, it bounced along for about a 1/4 mile before sliding onto the gravel at the shoulder.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 04, 2012 21:12      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
Many years back I was behind an auto that lost its muffler, it bounced along for about a 1/4 mile before sliding onto the gravel at the shoulder.

Many years ago, my muffler and tailpipe dropped to the asphalt on my way into work...and I put it back up with Cat-5.

What was that guy's excuse? [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 05, 2012 01:18      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple years ago, I lent my husband my car. 15 minutes later, I heard him coming back. The car sounded a bit different (it had always had a muffler issue, but since it passed emissions tests I just didn't deal with it) and there was a clanging sound behind it. I step outside and yep, my muffler is on the ground.

Of course, that could have happened while I was driving, but since it happened to him, I give him endless crap about it. Especially since, on a previous car he owned, he lost a muffler. He knew it was coming off, he got it sort of reattached with a piece of garden hose so he could take his emissions test, and then drove off into the sunset with a couple buddies. I wasn't there, but when he came back the muffler was gone. Apparently, it fell off about halfway across Arizona. He didn't bother with retrieving it.

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 05, 2012 06:13      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WHOOPS I FORGOT TO SAY that I was on my café racer (Missile bike) when said offending muffler would skid from expansion joint to expansion joint and change position in the two lanes at each joint. It was a tense twenty seconds until I got ahead of the damned thing.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture