homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Spring Update!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Spring Update!!
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2012 08:37      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well TheMoMan has had another good post Surgery check-up, no detectable PSA, good on the blood chemistries and in good health over all, Three years after having my prostate taken out, two more years and I am considered a SURVIVOR.

This past week I took our Grandson on a road trip to KSC (NASA) here is the Itinerary.

Day one: Stopped at Cabela's, biggest sporting goods store in Michigan, also very high priced. http://www.cabelas.com/stores/store_info.jsp?pageName=007

Stopped at Wright Bros. Museum in Dayton Ohio, since we got there late did not get to see every thing. http://www.nps.gov/wrbr/index.htm

Day two: Stopped at Warner-Robbins Air Museum to see their exhibits.
http://www.museumofaviation.org/

Day three: Stopped at Don Garlets Drag Racing Museum, then west to the golf coast South to Tampa. http://garlits.com/

Day four: Stopped at my brothers to inspect his new motor home.

Day five: Toured the Tico War Birds Museum and took the grandson for a biplane ride. http://www.vacwarbirds.org/ On this page you can see photo's of the plane (WACO Biplane) that we rode over KSC.Toured KSC (Kennedy Space Center) http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/home/index.html

Day six: Toured the oldest Establishment/fort in the United States St. Augustine. http://www.nps.gov/foma/index.htm

Day seven: Drove through South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia. Toured an old Coal Mine. http://www.beckley.org/exhibition_coal_mine/index.html

Day eight: Drove on home.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2012 10:33      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad its spring somewhwere. It snowed here last night. None stuck though.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted April 08, 2012 10:56      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fantastic news MoMan! [Applause]

And what a great trip. A trip to KSC is still on my to-do list. Now adding "fly in a biplane".

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2012 11:46      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder how long before the smile on the grandson fades.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2012 12:21      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a great trip.

I myself would like a chance to see the Space center someday.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted April 08, 2012 14:38      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now THAT'S a trip!

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 09, 2012 04:32      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great geek roadtrip. [Cool]

And to the North American geeks who've never been to KSC, find the time, it's well worth the trip.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 09, 2012 16:08      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome news, MoMan.

I visited KSC as a kid, but I have bigger memories of St. Augustine. I absolutely loved the coarse sand on the beach there when I was a kid. Don't know why. It wasn't because it was soft and squishy to lay on, that's for sure.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2012 20:59      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heads up as if GEEKS need more reason to visit Merritt Island Fl.

NASA

Now I am tempted to make a quick return.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2012 07:44      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yo Geeks, I found this link. No that is not me or the grandson, however it is the very same plane and flight plan.

Biplane ride

The ride was great!

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Mr. Geek 2U
Alpha Geek
Member # 28663

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 26, 2012 21:24      Profile for Mr. Geek 2U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is good you are surviving, Mr. Mo-Man.

I have been very busy. My trip with prostate cancer isn't quite as lucky, I would say.

After 2-1/2 years the PSA went to .21 and we checked again in two weeks to be sure and it was .21 again. We saw it coming for about a year and it was a scary time.

Then all these tests. CAT scans, Dog scans, Prostascint scans. They even made me drink lots of that stuff that makes you poop like you are launching to the moon.

Finally they shot me up with radioactivity markers that make friends with prostate cancer cells. They, like invite them for a beer and then say, "Hey! Here is the Party!"

Yes, indeed that is the science. And you know what? They found some cells just glowing down there, and like drinking their third beer, and right now we are shooting them full of radiation every day except weekends or when I am too tired. It is like Chernobyl right between the legs! I have finished 26 treatments and have twelve left.

You know the kinda spiffy part of this? When I moon somebody it actually glows! LOLMFGAO!

Hey, do you watch "Breaking Bad?" Every life comes with a death sentence, that is what he says!

Have a great day!

--------------------
My friends call me Skippy

Posts: 260 | From: Kalamazoo | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2012 07:54      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope that I am on the list that can call you SKIPPY.

What a bummer.

The glowing might be cool but I think I would pass.

Hey you are still above the grass, I am thankful every day. Back from my days as a Corpsman, I remember what the oncology patients went through, man I hope the chemicals and the nukes actually do affect a cure.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted August 28, 2012 12:28      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Geek 2U, so sorry to hear of your health troubles. :-( I hope this get better as soon as possible.
I have friends in the same boat; one with prostate cancer, the other an artist with eye melanoma. Fuck cancer!

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Geek 2U
Alpha Geek
Member # 28663

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2012 21:58      Profile for Mr. Geek 2U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
I hope that I am on the list that can call you SKIPPY.

Mr. Mo Man, of course you can call me Skippy. Yipee!

If you want, you can buy me a beer! You are a neighbor in Michigan I see!

Have a great day!

Mr. Geek 2 U

--------------------
My friends call me Skippy

Posts: 260 | From: Kalamazoo | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture