homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Oh what a bunch of paranoids we've all become...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Oh what a bunch of paranoids we've all become...
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 27, 2012 04:31      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stopped in at the public library on the way home today, to pick up a book I'd reserved. I collected the book, then joined the checkout queue. Ahead of me in the queue was an 11 year old girl, she's Druidling V2.0fs best friend, and a frequent visitor to Casa del Druid, so I said hello and made polite conversation with her about her day at school etc.

After a minute or so, I noticed that several of the adults present were watching me, bristling in that "I'm watching you, creep" way.

Have we really become so paranoid that an adult can't talk to a kid in a public place without people assuming he's a paedophile?

Sad, really sad.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 27, 2012 05:04      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good question, I hope not.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted February 27, 2012 11:11      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Famous Druid wrote:
Have we really become so paranoid that an adult can't talk to a kid in a public place without people assuming he's a paedophile?

Not entirely.

If you were a woman, nobody would have given you a second glance. It's only men who get that reaction from others when they talk to kids.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 27, 2012 12:57      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpySteen:
The Famous Druid wrote:

Not entirely.

If you were a woman, nobody would have given you a second glance. It's only men who get that reaction from others when they talk to kids.

Which is funny, since the majority of the "teacher seduces student" cases I've seen over the past couple years have involved female teachers.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 27, 2012 13:45      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live 20 minutes from the Canadian border and am a sty at home dad. I cannot drive into Canada without being asked by customs officals that I prove that I am not abducting my daughter. I refuse to carry a letter on me from my wife giving me permission to travel with my daughter. I am always let through after a few minutes of "how do we know you are not a child absuctor, next time bring a leter from your wife. "

I have taken my daugher without my wife to 5 countries without being harrased like I am at the US Canadian border. And I get harrased from driving both north and south.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 27, 2012 14:20      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ash: That's a shame. It's also a surprise to me since my experience w/crossing the .ny.us/.qc.ca border was that the Canadian side was far nicer. Alas, Harper's cronies are probably obeying their friends on the southern sid of the border. [Frown]

TFD: But think of the children! [Wink]
</ /.>

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 27, 2012 14:43      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dman...Harper is a GWB wannabe... and Yes he is listening to his US counterparts... So much so that he even has a disgustingly rude equivalent to DMCA/SOPA/PIPA bill on the table at the moment. In Canada it's known as Bill C11, formerly Bill C32.

TFD, Yes this a highly paranoid state. I can count the ways... Orwell was right in a lot of ways...

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 04, 2012 04:45      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ack people here seem to busy being told what to think by their TVs to actually think and analyse anything.

What are we coming to indeed.

--------------------
That which doesn't kill you can only make you stronger. Therefore I am damn near indestructable.

Posts: 153 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture