homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » how many words do you know

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: how many words do you know
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2012 18:46      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
click the link; post your results.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2012 18:48      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get 42k with two wrong answers under the college + test. I took the test twice. no words repeated. got the same result.

But I take the results with a grain of sand. It only tests one language.

update:
45k with one wrong answer, the third time i took the test words repated from previous tests.

after update pps or whatever. If you sign in and you get 100 % you get new word lists. I'm at teh "dynamo level" after 5 minutes.

anyone get higher?

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2012 19:48      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took the test three times: First -2 score 45,050

: Second -1 score 45557

: Third -1 score 45557

Me thinks it is rigged.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2012 21:10      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I CBA to do that more than once, as it doesn't accomplish much. I won't complain @43.8k.

freerice.com is far more worthwhile and won't give up on you after ~10 words.
Alas, I rarely visit it, but it's definitely a cool site. (FYI: If you know where your average level is, I recommend jumping to it, as it doesn't seem to be terribly clever at jumping to it quickly anymore.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2012 21:32      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dman_ thanks for teh link. this is much more my speed. I reached the highest dictionary.com level in 10-15 minutes. I am stuck at level 42 (of 60) at freerice.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2012 22:18      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

It reminded me of the GRE and not in a good way.

ETA: On my third try I got them all. Score is 50019.

Have I ever mentioned how hideous the GRE verbal was?

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2012 22:41      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, seeing that you make a 5k point jump in a few tries I figured it must be worth another shot, and I got a perfect one as well: 50032†. (One of the words was an insane chem term that had only one possible meaning, unlike some of the odd words I got in the first go around.)

Using that evil test's name is an impetus if ever there was one (though I kicked the verbal & written parts' collective arse; alas ironically not so for the math).

† And no...that's not meant to be one upsmanship...it's just a similar (but slightly higher) number. [It was probably that stupid elemental term that bumped it up on sheer syllable count.]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2012 22:55      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The GRE math section is just...weird. I choked on it too, though I beat the analytic so hard it was begging me for mercy (and thus I date myself [Razz] ) and did respectably on the verbal.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2012 05:19      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am I too old to know what a GRE test is? I stopped taking those types of test about 1970.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2012 12:26      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MOMAN_____I don't remember what gre stands for but It is the test most universities want the results of if you want to go to graduate school.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2012 15:46      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Graduate Record Exam. It's the SAT's evil big brother. You take it if you want to get into grad school because for some reason grad schools think the results predict success. Based on what I've seen, I am not convinced (the most stubborn and the hardest-working are the ones who succeed, not the ones who are best in the exams), but I've never sipped the faculty Kool-Aid.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture