homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Are we living in a police state?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Are we living in a police state?
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2011 07:13      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been watching world events, it appears to me that the wealthy nations are becoming like third world nations, they just claim not to have the Iron fist control.

So my questions to you readers:

Do or does your local law enforcement officers and agency act like they are the boss rather than you the tax payer?

Do you feel that there should be a Citizen review board?

When did we need to have SWAT TEAMS in every locality?

Anyone else want to add questions?

Here where I live the prisons are being closed and the inmates set free, so the LEOs (Law Enforcement Agencies) must have more funding. So in effect we are paying for more but getting less.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 23, 2011 10:07      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do or does your local law enforcement officers and agency act like they are the boss rather than you the tax payer?

No. Not all police departments act like militia, but some do. A lot of it has to do with the mindset of the upper levels. They decide who gets hired, which policies are enforced, which are ignored and what behavior is encouraged. A department with a jackass like Joe Arpaio in charge will hire like-minded jackasses. A department with a good cop in charge will tend to hire good cops.

Do you feel that there should be a Citizen review board?

No, but I think there should be an independent review board. Normal citizens aren't really qualified to determine whether a suspect needed to be shot in the borderline cases (it's obvious in cases where the suspect is laying face down and was shot in the back, of course). Police are, but they're obviously biased. A qualified third party would be the better solution.

When did we need to have SWAT TEAMS in every locality?

They aren't available in every locality. Most small towns do not have SWAT teams, even if they have an occasional need for them because it's expensive to support them. Any large city is likely to have one simply because they will occasionally have a need for them, can afford them and won't want to wait an hour for one from the next city over to arrive.

And no, we aren't living in a police state any more now than we were 10 or 20 or 40 years ago. Any time you have people in a position of power over others, some of those people will abuse it.

What we are living in is an age where every act of police brutality is recorded and spread far and wide (yay internet). Hopefully the exposure will result in a reduction of the police brutality that has always existed.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2011 10:35      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GS, I appreciate your comments. The County we live in had a corrupt Sheriff, the new one is better but only by degrees, The Indian Tribal force is excellent and should be a model for the Sheriff's department, they act in the good of the reservation and tribal members.

The State in its wisdom to save money is closing prisons and releasing inmates to SAVE MONEY. Now they claim that they have to lay off State Police Officers. Next time there is a problem I will call a Game Warden and report poaching, they are out right away.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2011 16:54      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One itty bitty detail - who's getting released, exactly?

I'm pretty sure NY & CA are trying to release lower-level offenders, like drug users, some of whom shouldn't have been thrown in jail in the first place (but given treatment programs instead). Additionally, there's talk of keeping people who would be overzealously booked for technical parole violations under closer watch than simply shoving them in jail at great expense.

If MI is throwing convicted murders and rapists back onto the streets early, I would be a bit worried, but I hope they're not so stupid as to do that, and reduce the police force. If they are...think about living in another state. [Frown]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2011 17:12      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpySteen:
And no, we aren't living in a police state any more now than we were 10 or 20 or 40 years ago. Any time you have people in a position of power over others, some of those people will abuse it.

Yes, cops abusing their power is nothing new.

The area I grew up in, you could expect to be stopped and questioned by the cops at any time, on suspicion of being a male between the age of 13 and 25. They particularly liked driving by the school 5 minutes after home time, stopping a 14 year old in school uniform, and asking him why he was there and where he was going. If the answer was (a) "I was at school", and (b) "I'm going home" then the cops invariably responded with "Think you're smart do you kid?" and 5 or 10 minutes of pointless harassment.

School bullies with a badge and a gun.

quote:
What we are living in is an age where every act of police brutality is recorded and spread far and wide (yay internet). Hopefully the exposure will result in a reduction of the police brutality that has always existed.
Yeah, I bet the arsehole cops really hate the fact that everyone carries a video camera these days. In the old days "my word against a criminals" made things so easy for the Crabbe and Goyle style cops. Of course, they've found ways to fight back, in some jurisdictions, filming a cop committing a crime IS a crime...

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2011 19:29      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Michigan's largest walled prison is still over crowded as is the Ionia State home for the criminally insane, neat name huh. Some of the other state Max prisons though have been closed, so the finger bandits, and strong-arm types are getting out, some are being sent back to the county lockups, where they were sentenced. How ever the Gov. has given business's a tax break and cut teachers salaries.

Some localities act like taking a LEO's picture is like outing a spy, and having a radio that can listen to the Public Service bands that is out and out treason.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2011 06:50      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a little gas on the fire.

Police Drones

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2011 03:14      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:

Police Drones

I got one of these for my birthday. Haven't flown it yet, inclement weather on the weekend.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2011 06:50      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KEWL

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2011 08:54      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so i checked the freshest 15 posts and found that the two discussed topics were, are we wiving in a police state and are we living in an anarchy.

brilliant.

guess it MUST be one or the other.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 30, 2011 09:25      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We like our hyperbole.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2011 14:24      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:

Police Drones

I got one of these for my birthday. Haven't flown it yet, inclement weather on the weekend.
Not to self: make sure kreziserb never sees that.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2011 19:46      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpySteen:
We like our hyperbole.

Is that the new stadium they're building to host the Superbowl?

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2011 05:41      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No The Funerals

Military Times

That freaking Sheriff has no idea what goes on in a combat vets head. His deputies got the jump on this marine, it could have turned out the other way.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2011 06:37      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kind of ties in with this thread.

Please look at my Sig.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

maswan

Lord of the Root!
Member # 269

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 10, 2011 22:26      Profile for maswan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Kind of ties in with this thread.

Creating a legal framework for disappearing undesireables, eh?
Posts: 71 | From: UmeŚ, Sweden | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jessycat

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2011 01:11      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, look at maswan with 67 posts! I remember when you were a Maximum Newbie and proud of it. [Happytears] [Razz]
Posts: 490 | From: NYC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture