homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » I'm going to New Zealand...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I'm going to New Zealand...
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 13, 2011 16:41      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
... and need somewhere to stay. I'm flying out to Auckland, New Zealand next summer to spend a bit of time doing critical care flights for my elective (sod this going to third world countries malarky). However, being a skint graduate student all of my money will be spent on the flights, and I still need to organise somewhere to stay. I don't suppose there are any GCers out there who'd be happy to put up a student for a month and a bit?
Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 14, 2011 19:16      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't directly help you on a place to stay, but thought I would bring up couchsurfing.com as an alternative.

Good luck and a safe trip.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 14, 2011 21:18      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll also add that if you can't find something either a) available or b) not convenient/good-for-you w/couchsurfing, you might also try airbnb.com .

I will definitely point out that I know at least one VERY AWESOME couchsurfing host, but I must confess that said host is a friend, and I've never used the site. [Razz]

OTOH, I did use airbnb this summer for a quick trip and I didn't die. [Smile] Furthermore, I would count my stay as _far_ better than the equivalent stay if the money had been the same (read: quite reasonable would have yielded a crummy airport hotel).

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 15, 2011 00:04      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After the earthquake, many kiwis have found their usual home no longer habitable, so bunking in with friends/relatives has become quite common. I expect you'll find spare rooms/couches a bit thin on the ground these days.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture