homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » So I was inspired...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: So I was inspired...
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted August 18, 2011 14:36      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
by this thread.

I have been on diets before and lost weight got to where I felt comfortable and gained it back. This time it's different. My goal is not to lose weight as it were. Instead I decided to eat healthier and give my body the fuel it needs. You see I have somewhat large appetite and living where I do we eat bigger than most of the rest of the country. This of course can be bad when you consider how much of this country's citizens are overweight.

So my goals are high nutrition, low calorie and feel full while still satisfying my taste buds. Answer lots of fiber. I gradually increased my fiber content so that now I am eating quite a large amount. I eat a high fiber cereal in the mornings, my typical lunch consists of apple, carrots, sandwich with multi-grain bread and a fiber bar. Supper is typically a large salad.

I have also cut back on my meats and dairy. Most meat that I eat are lean turkey, chicken or fish. I also like some of the meat substitutes, like vegetarian sausage. There is also this vegan "meatloaf" dish I found in the frozen section that is really tasty.

I have also discovered that, at least for me, milk does not do a body good. I have nearly cut out all dairy and now instead of having to take sinus medicine every day I can breathe easy. This has been the hardest thing to cut down on, but fortunately I like unsweetened almond milk, and soy cheese so that helps. I also find I like the coconut base frozen deserts, so that is a good substitute and it also helps that the calories are low. I just have to be careful because a little dairy does not hurt but if I don't check the ingredients and eat too many things with dairy I notice the difference.

Sugar in my diet is close to non-existent. I drink mostly water and green tea sweetened with Splenda. My morning cup of coffee is sweetened with stevia. Of course some of the stuff I eat has some sugar in it but it's limited way more than it used to be. I have a motivation for this in that there are a few members of my family who are diabetic. So far I have been free of it and I intend to stay free of it.

I have also found a few websites that are quite helpful. http://nutritiondata.self.com/ is a fantastic site. It has quite a few foods on it and it gives quite detailed information. Signing up for an account allows you to enter and save recipes that the website will analyze for you.

I think I found a real good balance in my salad that is filling, tasty and low calorie. basically it's romaine lettuce, shredded carrots red cabbage, spinach, chopped white onion, tomato, cucumber, avocado, strawberries, pineapple, clementine wedges, mushrooms, walnuts and boiled egg white. Season it with just a bit of salt, a healthy dose of cayenne pepper, a splash of lemon juice and a low cal raspberry or mango dressing. The variety is enough to give me all fruits and veggies, it fiber content is tremendous so it's filling, and the combination is extremely nutrition rich.

My diet also naturally fights some of the hereditary medical issues I find my father has had to deal with {prostate cancer, heart disease, etc.}. I also find I feel much better too. When I started this lifestyle change, I weighed in at 220 pounds or for the people in the civilized world who use measuring standards that make sense, 99.79 kilograms. This morning I weighed in at 201 pounds (91.17 kilograms). I noticed my clothes are fitting much better, I am more energetic, and I feel like I can do more than I used to. When I would cut my grass, I would take a 10 minute break through the halfway mark, but this past weekend, I cut it straight through and felt like I could have gone on longer without stopping.

I am also doing something that most people who don't know herbs would think is quite unconventional. Cayenne has tremendous health benefits, and one of the quickest ways to get your body to absorb something is to take it in a liquid. I started out with about 4oz / 120ml of tepid water, a splash of lemon juice and a 1/4tsp / 125mg and basically downed it. I am now up to 1-1/4tsp / 625mg of cayenne in the same amount of water. My metabolism is up and my heart rate is down.

I don't really have a target weight as I am not really dieting per se. On weekends I slack off and eat more variety, I don't watch my calories as much, but I still keep to the basics of what I have changed. Even so, the fat is still steadily coming off. I can say that if I get to about 175lbs / 80kg, I would not be disappointed.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 19, 2011 12:50      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bravo! [Applause] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

Sounds like you have the right approach - don't 'diet', break your bad habits.

Eat healthily, and your body will naturally tend towards a 'healthy' weight.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 22, 2011 03:13      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As much as I applaud the whole weight loss effort (as someone who is attempting the same, by very similar means) I think the comment regarding cayenne is somewhat misguided. There's no real evidence that it is of huge (any?) benefit as far as I can tell, and drinking high doses of the stuff seems peculiar. Yes, it probably is good for you, but why not just spice your salads up a bit? Your body will absorb it in exactly the same way, and it'll make chicken a bit less bland.
Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 22, 2011 07:43      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stibbons:
As much as I applaud the whole weight loss effort (as someone who is attempting the same, by very similar means) I think the comment regarding cayenne is somewhat misguided. There's no real evidence that it is of huge (any?) benefit as far as I can tell, and drinking high doses of the stuff seems peculiar. Yes, it probably is good for you, but why not just spice your salads up a bit? Your body will absorb it in exactly the same way, and it'll make chicken a bit less bland.

You did not do your research as to the benefits of cayenne. I am not just taking it for weight loss. I am taking it for my overall health. The fact that it raises metabolism, which in turn helps burn fat, is just a side benefit.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 22, 2011 08:58      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good for you. if it works for you and is healthy, go for it.

but... about the evidence you posted.

A comment on the journal article.

Just because a substance is shown to slow the growth of cancer cells in the lab, does not it would do the same a a person. Between such an observation and the product being approved and on the market is about ten years of more research. So so many compounds show promise in the lab and never make it to market. Also, most everything that retards the groeth of cancer, are poisonous in the levels required to do it.
(I should know, this is my job. I work on a team that takes an observation that a substance kills cancer in vitro and tries to take that substance to market.)

a comment on the cayennepepper.info link.

It is a sles pitch. He is even nice enough to admit he is not a doctor and set up this page to make money.

http://www.cayennepepper.info/affiliate-policy.html

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 22, 2011 09:20      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Link
quote:
Cayenne pepper diet may also have lethal side effects with people allergic to latex, kiwi, avocado, banana, or chestnuts. There are also drugs where it may potentially interact. People taking specific drugs or herbal ginsengs may encounter odd side effects when taking this variety at the same time.
Believe me, those are not the only sites I have looked at concerning cayenne. I have done quite a bit of looking into it. I have even consulted with my doctor and he said "If you can stand the heat, go ahead." I know for a fact it helped me at least in one aspect. I had a severe case of hemorrhoids. After the first week of drinking cayenne they are gone. I also used to get pains in my joints if I was "too active" and now I am more active and there is no pain. From my personal experience I have to say I think it's doing me way more good than harm.

--------------------

Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 26, 2011 16:05      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorWho:
From my personal experience I have to say I think it's doing me way more good than harm.

Good for you. However, that doesn't make it an evidence base. Notwithstanding the human desire to explain coincidence, and the amazing power of the placebo effect, you also have to remember there are a huge number of confounding factors involved here. You're shifting to a generally healthier diet, become more active, and losing weight, both of which are linked with reduction in symptoms like haemorrhoids and joint pain.

The capsaicin isn't necessarily doing anything good for you, but as long as it isn't harming you and you *think* it's doing you good then crack on. I notice that the supposed anti-cancer effect is the only claim that the seller provides "evidence" for on his webpage, but before reading too much into that as Ashikata says you need to distinguish between cellular effects in vitro and behaviour (both efficacy and safety) in clinical trials, neither of which have been demonstrated as far as a cursory PubMed search can tell.

Personally, I'm guessing the overall shift to a healthier lifestyle and diet is what's doing the magic, and stick by my earlier recommendation that if needs be, you get your capsaicin dose through spicing up your food [Smile]

Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted September 02, 2011 06:15      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like I am still on track. Weighed in this morning at 196.4lbs / 89.08kg [Smile]

--------------------

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2011 07:51      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[thumbsup]

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture