homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Gmail, Y! Mail, or....?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gmail, Y! Mail, or....?
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2011 16:45      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're switching our ISP this week, so I think it's time our family moves to a web-based email address for its portability. I've had Hotmail, Yahoo! mail, and Gmail. I don't like Hotmail. Yahoo is eh. Gmail has privacy issues. Are any of these better than the other? Are there other email providers you recommend?

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2011 19:48      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
gmail, need some invites?

i like it for storage of old mails

i never cannot find what i am looking for.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2011 21:12      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you aren't paying for it, you are not the customer, but the product being sold. This applies to all free webmail services, which nonetheless have distinct advantages over your ISP's email service, and indeed last year my ISP, Virginmedia, stopped providing their own in house service, and have instead contracted it out to Gmail, which IMHO is still the best of the big ones, though Yahoo is not bad.

If you deem privacy important enough to actually unlock your wallet, then Fastmail has a good reputation and reasonable charges.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 31, 2011 05:50      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My two cents is that working in a library I've seen Yahoo users have difficulties with attachments that I haven't seen with gmail users. It's been a problem with people not being able to open important things like job applications in Word, etc. We don't seem to have many people with hotmail/msn.
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 31, 2011 06:05      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Calli. I'll look into Fastmail.

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 31, 2011 06:32      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's probably worthwhile to mention that only the paid version of Fastmail makes any real attempt at privacy. The terms of service for the free version of Fastmail includes this gem:
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site.

This is substantially worse than Gmail's TOS since Google does their own advertising in Gmail and doesn't allow third party companies to serve ads (spam notwithstanding), much less collect information about you.

Personally, I use a Gmail account (or four, at last count) that isn't linked with any other Google service*.

I also use a local email client to download and send email via their SMTP and POP3 servers, so I get no ads. Since Google's servers aren't scanning the emails I read in order to display relevant ads, they haven't built an ad profile for me which is the only real privacy issue with Gmail.

One benefit to this is that, should my account get suspended for some reason, I have all my emails. One other benefit is that Gmail works as an easy/lazy backup. When I eventually have a drive failure, all my email will still available to download after I rebuild the system (assuming I don't violate TOS and get my email account suspended 5 minutes before my drive goes belly up, that is).

*Google has a "Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure." approach to TOS violations. I highly recommend using separate accounts for critical things like email and throwaway accounts for things like YouTube. That way, when someone decides you've violated TOS on one service, you don't lose access to all of them. This is actually my major concern with Google's offerings, in fact.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
zorgon
Assimilated
Member # 546

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted August 10, 2011 07:10      Profile for zorgon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpySteen:

I also use a local email client to download and send email via their SMTP and POP3 servers, so I get no ads. Since Google's servers aren't scanning the emails I read in order to display relevant ads, they haven't built an ad profile for me which is the only real privacy issue with Gmail.

This is also my strategy for dealing with Gmail. Their price-per-gig storage is also pretty good [Wink]

Gmail can also handle big attachments and long address lists, and some other email services (even paid ones) do not, as a spam reduction tool. That may be a consideration.

Posts: 385 | From: Beautiful Uptown Goleta | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 16, 2011 07:04      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zorgon:
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpySteen:

This is also my strategy for dealing with Gmail. Their price-per-gig storage is also pretty good [Wink]

Gmail can also handle big attachments and long address lists, and some other email services (even paid ones) do not, as a spam reduction tool. That may be a consideration.

"Local email client" == Mac's Mail program?

EDIT: Tested with my Y! Mail account and it appears to work. Now to come up with a user name that will work for the two of us. (My maiden name just won't cut it. lol)

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2011 08:11      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but you appear to have figured that out already [Smile]

My personal choice in email clients is Eudora OSE, but that's partly because Eudora was the first email client I liked and partly because it's open source and I can make (and have made) modifications to fix the bits I didn't like.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 26, 2011 16:04      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much for all the feedback. My HOH decided to go with gmail. Gotta say, it was HARD to find a username that was unique yet not ridiculous, professional but not hard to spell.

--------------------

fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted October 27, 2011 17:56      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TANSTAAFL. You pay for "free" services in other ways than out-of-pocket, usually as eyeballs for ads.

If you want both portability and control, buy a domain and run your own mail server, or pay for one maintained by someone else.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 28, 2011 00:29      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fs:
TANSTAAFL. You pay for "free" services in other ways than out-of-pocket, usually as eyeballs for ads.

If you want both portability and control, buy a domain and run your own mail server, or pay for one maintained by someone else.

Ugh...running a mail server has become such a pain these days.
Even Vint Cerf endorsed that idea recently (see /. interview) -- spammers have made it too damned hard.

*sigh* I remember the good old days - I used to run postfix @ home, and would SSH in and use mutt to check my mail.

Those were the days...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted October 28, 2011 05:26      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a big fan of "pay for someone else to do the gruntwork." [Smile]

I think most hosting packages come with mail, don't they? (I've been with ICDsoft.com for years, I don't even bother looking elsewhere.)

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture