homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Stupid Fact of the Day

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stupid Fact of the Day
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2011 15:22      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The vast majority of people on the planet have an above average number of legs.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2011 19:11      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I disagree, insects, vasltly outnumbering us people in legs and numbers, probably push the avergage numbr of legs up, closer to 6, meaning that people have a below average number of legs.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2011 23:54      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plus, of course, all horses have 6 legs.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted June 17, 2011 00:47      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only countd five on the last hoirse I saw [Eek!]

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 17, 2011 05:27      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're going to interpret that without the implied "among people", then bacteria don't have legs and they outnumber everything else on the planet by many orders of magnitude. 5,000,000,000 000,000,000,000,000,000,000 if this article is to be believed and not a leg among them.

I believe that would make the average number of number of legs some extremely small fraction of 1.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2011 10:36      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd probably suggest that the arithmetic mean is an inappropriate "average" measure to use in this case then. [Wink]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2011 15:20      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent discussion. It takes Stupid to new hights

May I nominate this thread for The most Utterly Pointless argument of the Week? [Wink]

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2011 04:03      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpySteen:
If you're going to interpret that without the implied "among people", then bacteria don't have legs...

Most use filopodia to walk around, or flagella to propel themselves though. These are, in a very loose sense of the word, bacterial legs, so they're pushing the average back up again.
Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2011 04:11      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't make me start in with slime molds, viruses, algae and all the other forms of life that don't even move.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2011 05:03      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does a plant's trunk/stem count as a leg? Or are its roots lots of little tentacle-like legs?
Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2011 07:24      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<biologist>
Microbes do not have legs. Nor do plants or fungi. Legs are strictly an animal thing.

Fun and frightening fact: In any given human, the human cells are out-numbered by endogenous bacteria 10:1...and the bacteria are out-numbered by virii 10:1. I'm not sure how many of those virii are bacteriophages, but I'm guessing most of them just because there are more bacteria to infect. However, human cells are much bigger than bacteria, so, by weight, you are still human.
</biologist>

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture