homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Here comes the flood!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Here comes the flood!
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2011 11:57      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At 3:00pm Central time the Army Corps of Engineers opened the Morganza spillway. This has been done only once before in 1973. This is being done in an effort to prevent Baton Rouge and New Orleans from flooding worse than what happened during Katrina. This means most of Cajun country will be under water.  -

Mind you if their projections are correct I am actually safe because I am in the gray area of the map. However it's still scary for a couple of reasons. While I may be in the gray area, 0-5 ft of water surrounds the area in the projection. I remember 1973 and when they opened it back then. The water was halfway up the back yard which was considerable because of the distance of the yard to the canal. Another concern is that while I may not feel the effect of the flood, I know many people in the affected areas. They are going to get hit hard by this and one of the reasons the spillway hasn't been opened in so long is because they are afraid they won't be able to close it. While I realize the good of the many outweigh the needs of the few, it still sucks.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2011 12:30      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. Who where is the Tardis? Lat/Lon you can leave off some of the trailing zeros,

I used to be in the river team, ya we rescued tourists that went canoing during the rainy season. The Mrs and myself are 150 feet above Lake Huron. During the spring run-off the three rivers near here can cause some strange detours. Just take the straps off the fishing boat tie the bow to the porch and wait it out.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2011 13:01      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds nasty, glad to hear the TARDIS is (predicted to be) safe.

Looks like you'll just have to sit back, wait it out, and hope you don't have any uninvited visitors.

-

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2011 17:17      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
Dr. Who where is the Tardis? Lat/Lon you can leave off some of the trailing zeros,

I am near 29 38' 40" N / 90 45' 48" W give or take.

TFD, visitors such as the one in your picture usually stay away from populated areas. I think instinctively most of them know that we are the more deadly species. In fact last year around this time a decent sized one was hanging out in my culvert. It's not so much the various reptiles that I am concerned about as it is the black bears that will be seeking higher ground.

Edit: Forgot to finish my thought about my visitor in the culvert. He did not stay long at all. In fact I never saw him as I was at work. My wife noticed him as she was leaving for the store one day and when she got back he was gone.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2011 06:17      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tie your fishing boat to the porch, Nope put the boat, wife and kids in the Tardis and go back in time two months. Then come back in July.

The Time space continuum will have been broken and your house will have no damage.

Great you have a Tardis and we are supposed to get FROST/FREEZE tomorrow morning

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted May 16, 2011 03:20      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow!

May the Lord of Heaven and Earth preserve and protect you all, Doctor!

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
joliet_jane
Alpha Geek
Member # 818

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2011 04:00      Profile for joliet_jane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live on the second floor of a Louisiana apartment. I'm very sure I live in a place that doesn't flood, but it's calming to know that I don't own anything of value.

--------------------
Please Visit http://www.wideweb.com/phonetrips/
And for Phun on the Phone:
http://www.Telephone-Entertainment.com/

Posts: 330 | From: PA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture