homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Crubeens

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Crubeens
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2011 00:52      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

After watching "Precious" last weekend I got it in my head that I wanted to eat some pigs feet because I had never tried them before. , But, I really don't like boiled meats, so I found this irish recipe for pigs feet instead of a soul food recipe.

Crubeens

I found the pigs feet , really frsh ones at my butcher, and he had them ( but normally didn't sell them)
because he was an actual butcher and was not just a proprieter of a shop that sells meat. ( Allot of the butchers around here just buy primal cuts and not the whole animal, and are therefore in my book not really butchers)

When I was done cooking them they looked exactly like in the picture. my mouth was watering. I love ham hocks and I was awaiting a similar taste.

They were horrible.

well, not so bad, but there was no meat what-so-ever in the foot. just cartilidge sinew and bone.

The skin was the only part I ate. It was crispy and salty as you would expect from fried pork rind.

I was expecting at least a tiny bit of meat on the bone. like in a lean ham hock.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2011 09:24      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you simmer them for the 2-3 hours that the recipe directs? The cartilage is filled with collagen that breaks down over the long, slow cooking time to form gelatin. Until that happens, they would be quite gross. After it happens, though...

Well, to be honest, I still find it gross, but a lot of people seem to like it. I'll stick with crispy bacon if I want to add pork to my diet.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2011 11:04      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My great grandfather found them dreadful. He said people ate them in Sligo because they were poor and he wasn't poor anymore. LOL
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2011 13:00      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpySteen:
Did you simmer them for the 2-3 hours that the recipe directs? The cartilage is filled with collagen that breaks down over the long, slow cooking time to form gelatin. Until that happens, they would be quite gross. After it happens, though... .

Yes, I did boil them 3 hours in the stock, and the collegen did mostly break down. But I wanted some meat, not pork gelatin with a crispy shell.

In the end though, I tried something new and it only cost me 0.87 to try.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2011 18:58      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It'll taste better if you're listening to Bessie Smith while you eat it.

A pigs trotter adds a lot of richness to pea soup too. Lovely cold weather food.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2011 17:40      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of life's sad realities is that, whatever culture you are from, it is fairly safe to
say that poor peoples food is rubbish. Of course there are exceptions such as the complex and delicate vegetarian recipes found in,for example, Sikh communities in India. In addition, I am excluding peasant cuisines that may be monotonous but are well above subsistence farming level, such as the Mediterranean Pasta/Olive oil/Tomato combo.

Tsampa in the high mountains of the East, blubber in the Arctic, Manioc in the Southern Americas, tripe 'n' trotters, hog-jowls, chicken-feets... these are all, historically, foods of necessity and we would do well to avoid romanticising them.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2011 18:25      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grummash wrote:
it is fairly safe to say that poor peoples food is rubbish

That's often true, but not always. Lobster, for example, used to be considered poor people's food because they were available in great abundance and were easily gathered. Now that there are so many fewer and people live further from the coasts, it's far more expensive and considered a delicacy.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 20, 2011 01:17      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to counter that many of these things are just not "rubbish" but simply not easily made to taste good , but they can be.

In the region around Milan, tripe is a poor persons traditional sustinance, and there are many restaurants that serve it because it was traditionally eaten there. The tripe soup made there is really delicious in the two restaurants I have tried it in.

GS_a lobster without melted butter is no dlicasy, in fact, I doubt I would be able to finish one.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2011 10:59      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Lobster, for example, used to be considered poor people's food

In the UK, oysters have also crossed over from being pauper's food (up to around 250 years ago) to being relatively expensive now - a dozen Natives by mail order will cost you around $40.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 20, 2011 15:28      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
One of life's sad realities is that, whatever culture you are from, it is fairly safe to say that poor peoples food is rubbish.

Funnily enough, I'd say the reverse. In general peasant food is food you can eat every day and never tire of, is satisfying and nutritionally sound. Once a society gets to the point where starvation and malnutrition is no longer a problem, I'd guess that far more dietary problems arise from rising living standards than (relative) poverty. Certainly some nutritionists used to say that the healthiest diet was that of Southern Italy, not a wealthy area.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2011 17:35      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Calli - I agree with what you have said completely. However, I think we are discussing different things when we speak of "poor people's food".
The example you gave of a healthy and (arguably) enjoyable peasant cuisine, that of southern Italy,I specifically excluded from the "poor people's food" to which I was referring.

Perhaps I was stretching my point too far, but I was intending the phrase "poor people's food" to mean those foods which are the staple carbohydrate or protein of the region with little or no seasoning, spicing, variation of cooking methods... nothing, in other words, to elevate subsistence calories into anything approaching interesting.

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2011 01:35      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Lobster, for example, used to be considered poor people's food because they were available in great abundance and were easily gathered. .

Visiting an old prison site somewhere in N.E. USA (Plymouth? I disremember the exact location), they mentioned that there used to be rules about how often prisoners could be fed lobster, because it was considered inhumane to make them eat it every day.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2011 03:44      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Lobster, for example, used to be considered poor people's food because they were available in great abundance and were easily gathered. .

Visiting an old prison site somewhere in N.E. USA (Plymouth? I disremember the exact location), they mentioned that there used to be rules about how often prisoners could be fed lobster, because it was considered inhumane to make them eat it every day.
As was also the case in the work contracts of the first indentured serevnts (slaves) in america that it usually stipulatd that they could be only fed lobster so many times a week.

And I still content that lobster as duisgusting without butter, which really would have been a luxury back at this time.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2011 10:55      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ashitaka wrote:
And I still contend that lobster as disgusting without butter

I think it's pretty awful with butter too, to be honest. Cockroach of the sea is an apt description.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture