homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Call me Vincent Van Druid

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Call me Vincent Van Druid
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2011 21:16      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Australia has the highest rate of skin cancer in the world, 2/3 of aussies will get skin cancer at some time in their lives, and with me being a redhead, my odds were even worse.

Today my number came up.

That funny little lump on my right ear is a Basal Cell Carcinoma, (the least dangerous and most easily treated kind of skin cancer) and I'll be going under the knife tomorrow to have it removed.

Accordig to the 'informed consent' briefing, the most likely outcome is a tiny, barely noticeable scar, but if they don't like what they see, I could end up looking like I've been tagged by David Attenborough,
 -

or (if I'm really unlucky) doing a Van Gogh impersonation.

Never a dull moment in Clan McDruid.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2011 03:19      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Well TFD, here's to you, Good Luck, though I doubt luck has any thing to do with the out come. However I do wish you well.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2011 05:13      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope it goes well, dude. [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted February 03, 2011 08:29      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'ears to your 'ealth, mate.
(sorry.. someone had to do something like that)

Good luck!

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2011 09:25      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck Druid! How many cases of SPF 75 sunscreen do you need? ;-)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2011 11:29      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is your big chance for a little nip-tuck and claim it was related??? Good luck with the surgery.
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted February 03, 2011 13:11      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck Druid!

Glad you had it checked out and they found it!

Can you request a plastic surgery re-build... perhaps a Spock? [Cool]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted February 03, 2011 17:06      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
That funny little lump on my right ear is a Basal Cell Carcinoma...
Really?... I thought it was your head..

Ba-dum-TISH! [shake head]

On a more serious note - whilst the diagnosis was unpleasant, the prognosis, at least, is positive. I hope everything goes to plan and you are soon able to consider this situation "ancient history". I'm not sure Pommie best wishes are capable of completing a 10,000 mile journey, but I'm sending them anyway.

Now... is there anybody here can sell this man a nice hat?

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2011 17:46      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grummash Good idea, have one of these and it works very well when I am running the Snowblower.

http://www.cabelas.com/mens-cold-weather-hats-mad-bomber-rabbit-fur-hunting-hats.shtml?type=product&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleBaseUSA&WT.z_mc_id1=750500&rid=40&mr:trackingCode=613 3457D-E08E-DF11-A0C8-002219318F67&mr:referralID=NA

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2011 18:20      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys, I'm off to the butcher now, if the result isn't too gory I'll post a pic.

quote:
quoth Snaggy:
Can you request a plastic surgery re-build... perhaps a Spock?

Dunno about a Spock, but I'm kind of hoping to get something visible out of this. Not a Van Gogh, but a little nick out of the ear would be cool, I could tell people it's a dueling injury.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2011 21:42      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
I'm not sure Pommie best wishes are capable of completing a 10,000 mile journey

Maybe an *African* Swallow could carry the wishes...

Hope all went well.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2011 23:48      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Thanks guys, I'm off to the butcher now, if the result isn't too gory I'll post a pic.

quote:
quoth Snaggy:
Can you request a plastic surgery re-build... perhaps a Spock?

Dunno about a Spock, but I'm kind of hoping to get something visible out of this. Not a Van Gogh, but a little nick out of the ear would be cool, I could tell people it's a dueling injury.
Or that you were abducted by aliens and, after they implanted a tracking device, they clipped your ear for a sample and also so, if they caught you again, they'd know you were a repeat.

Good luck!

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 04, 2011 03:07      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ There are more life forms in this county with these markings than with out.

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30e0717c-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 04, 2011 04:52      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that all went smoothly.

Looks like I'll be having the 'tiny, barely noticeable scar' option.

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 04, 2011 11:37      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ This Yank is Happy for You.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted February 04, 2011 17:28      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TFD:
Looks like I'll be having the 'tiny, barely noticeable scar' option.

I always thought you needed a "clip round the ear" [Big Grin]

I'm glad it went ok. [thumbsup]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 06, 2011 11:06      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those aliens are getting better with their implants then. [Smile] Glad it went well.
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 09, 2011 23:24      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just got back from the doctors, had the stitches removed, and the results of the lab tests on my lump were in.

They had some long greek/latin name for it, but in laymans terms it translates to

"funny little lump that most definitely isn't cancerous"

As Shakespeare would say - Much Ado About Nothing.

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2011 03:59      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ YAY

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2011 11:10      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, better safe than sorry! Glad it all turned out for the best.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture