homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » My latest project. (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: My latest project.
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 02, 2011 12:17      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't reported in for a while...

Hit the 14kg mark today (that's about 30 lbs, or 5/9 of a firkin)

5kg more to go.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 05, 2011 15:05      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two milestones reached today.

I've reached the 3/4 mark towards my target weight loss, and I've reduced my BMI by 4.

A little behind schedule, I should have reached this point a week ago, but hey, I'm a computer programmer, a week behind schedule is pretty good.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 05, 2011 21:07      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Well I had some missteps, tried a different diet, I gained until 106Kilo, OOPS. Tried something else that did reduce my waist however the Dunlop got bigger. Went back to reducing portion size and can say I am now at 99Kilog. Now to keep losing.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2011 08:27      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hit the 15 kg mark today. W00t!

4 kg to go.

I had to punch a new hole in my belt a couple of days ago, that felt good.

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2011 10:32      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Lost ground again, Birthday parties back up to 100Kilos.

____ TFD, these guys make a nice radio, I saw one in use at a Hamfest near here. My hands are not steady enough to build one of those. I would have solder bridges every where.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 15, 2011 10:45      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So todays's the 6 month mark on my diet, and I've lost 17.4 kg (38.4 lbs).

1.9 kg to go, but that's a lot to lose in 6 days (my original target date was 'Easter') and losing weight over Easter seems unlikely.

Time for desperate measures, I wonder how much I'd lose if I shaved off the beard...

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 15, 2011 11:07      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Not enough, I tried that already. I have not conceded defeat but but I am still obese. 101Kg

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2011 15:31      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TFD, have you tried making pureed raw veggie soups in a blender? That way, you won't feel like a martyr spending an hour trying to chew through all the stuff, and you get to pretend you're Tom Dickson (the willitblend guy, not the figure skater.) I just made a soup out of some random stuff I found in the fridge (zucchini, celery, tomato, carrots, quarter of an onion, clove of garlic, a chunk of cheddar and some curry powder) and it was pretty damn good. Now, try to imagine eating all that on its own, especially raw zucchini.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2011 17:19      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zesovietrussian:
TFD, have you tried making pureed raw veggie soups in a blender?...

...I just made a soup out of some random stuff I found in the fridge (zucchini, celery, tomato, carrots, quarter of an onion, clove of garlic, a chunk of cheddar and some curry powder) and it was pretty damn good.

We do something similar with the juicer.
It's surprising how good a glass of (random 4 or 5 fruits/vegetables) juice tastes.

--------------------

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2011 05:05      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zesovietrussian:
TFD, have you tried making pureed raw veggie soups in a blender? That way, you won't feel like a martyr spending an hour trying to chew through all the stuff, and you get to pretend you're Tom Dickson (the willitblend guy, not the figure skater.) I just made a soup out of some random stuff I found in the fridge (zucchini, celery, tomato, carrots, quarter of an onion, clove of garlic, a chunk of cheddar and some curry powder) and it was pretty damn good. Now, try to imagine eating all that on its own, especially raw zucchini.

A clove of garlic?????

And which brave soul(s) drinks this watery blend?
[Big Grin]

gg

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2011 11:13      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the last couple of kilos took Far Too Long, but...

TARGET WEIGHT ACHIEVED!

I'm now back within my recommended weight-for-height range.

/me wanders off to the local eatery to celebrate with a huge egg and bacon breakfast!

(not really)

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2011 20:53      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Went to the supermarket today, here's a picture of me holding bottles of orange juice equal to the weight I've lost. (19.4 kg - 42.8 lbs)
 -

--------------------

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted June 19, 2011 04:44      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
holy shit! that is incredible to see it like that!

Congratulations and a Super Ultimate Magnificent Valour!

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 19, 2011 07:42      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brav-fscking-o, TFD!

And that's a whole heck of a lotta OJ. Don't go crazy making brass monkey, mmkay?! [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2011 05:54      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Way to go, TFD!

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 21, 2011 19:01      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys.

I've decided to set a new target for another 7 kg (2 BMI points), mostly because I figure it would be a waste to go to all that effort and then stop as soon as I'm 100g less than 'overweight'.

If the last couple of months is any guide, it'll take until Xmas, but I'm not setting any date targets, I'll just keep to the diet and let it happen (or not happen) at its own pace.

--------------------

macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted June 22, 2011 03:35      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now THAT is AWESOMESAUCE TFD! [Eek!]

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2011 13:33      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats!

What say you now Ms Harding & Co? Booga booga booga?

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 23, 2011 22:35      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw "Ms Harding" and immediately thought of Tonya Harding and wondered what ice skating had to do with this thread. [Razz]

I'm not sure I understand your point, zesovietrussian. Sure, TFD took off the weight. The key will be, can he keep it off permanently? Statistics are against him keeping it off. In fact, if his body is like 95% of dieters, he will regain the weight and then some.

(Not to be Debbie Downer, TFD. Just being realistic about what typically happens.)

Put your question on the shelf and check back in with it every five years or so?

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2011 03:19      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if I'll be able to keep the weight off five years from now, so why try now? I don't know if I'll be happy in five years, so why be happy now? I don't know if I'll have a job in five years, so why work now? I don't know if I'll be alive in five years, so why live now? Life is full of uncertainty, you can't give up simply because you can't predict the future.

PS: Where did that 95% number come from?

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2011 12:09      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Linky to a PDF put here in context. And, here. Also see what Fitness Guru Sam has to say for a non-HAES/FA perspective. lol

Google "95% of diets fail," and you'll find plenty more.

Happy reading!

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2011 12:14      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I mean seriously...he did a phenomenally good thing for his health and well-being, and now to say 'eh, it'll come back' -- that's horrible.

Having gotten this far, he's probably familiar with the scale by now, and since he's an intelligent being, I trust he'll have the common sense ton continue to consult it to be sure he stays around his target. Otherwise, that's a wholly pointless endeavor.

"Good job kid, you studied hard and graduated with honors, but you'll end up back on the streets in no time."

OTOH, I suppose this might motivate him to keep away from complacency, if only to be able to say 'told ya so.' [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2011 12:27      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erm Rhonnie. I've been successful in downsizing my waistline 2 pant sizes and 15lbs since January. I've been maintaining this "diet" since December. Stick to the regimen and all will be well. TFD is doing Awesomely well and I applaud him for it. I am going about it on a much slower route, but I am getting there. If there is anything I've learned in in life, it's Shit don't happen by itself.

If you want something bad enough you make it happen. I made my Job happen, and it's coming on thirteen years. I've made my way in life through perseverance. Why? Because sitting in the curb or sidelines won't get you anywhere.

To say to someone that "it'll come back" is really bad form. Post all the proof and facts all you want, they are just statistics... Indomitable spirit, and perseverance. That's the way to go. Complacency based on statistics, that's bad.

I encourage him and laud his success. May TFD continue to reap the benefits of his new way of life. WTG TFD!

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2011 13:04      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rhonnie has a valid point, far too many people 'diet' - then as soon as they're "off the diet" the weight goes back on. I was aware of that risk at the start, which is why I said...

quote:
Quoth a Wise Druid:
The important thing is I don't feel like a martyr. If I tried to live on celery sticks and lettuce I would fall off the wagon within hours, but I quite like my fruity lunches, and I eat enough that I don't feel hungry.

My aim wasn't to 'diet' - it was to break a bad habit, and form a new, healthier one that I'll be able to stick to, and I feel like I've done this.

Even when I reach my new target weight (BMI 23) I have no intention of falling back into my old 'McKFC Hut' ways.

--------------------

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2011 17:36      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats to TFD and MMB!

Everything about life requires diligence, including eating habits. People forget that and that's how trouble happens. Fortunately, as I told a new grad student while teaching her proper sterile technique this week, you can train new habits into yourself, to the point where you don't even think about whether or not you're doing the right thing (though I do realize that good eating habits are much more difficult to train or re-train than good sterile technique is).

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture