homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Lets see they invented the game, now they can't play. (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Lets see they invented the game, now they can't play.
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 22, 2010 18:17      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TheMoMan wrote:
Believe me Indian rights trump INS.

Which has nothing to do with the UK. INS is a US organization. Stop trying to claim that exceptions to UK laws are justified based on how US and Canada handle their relations.

The Famous Druid wrote:
Keeping foreign governments informed of this kind of thing is part of the reason the UK maintains a vast network of embassies.

Yeah? Where's the embassy for the Iroquois nation?

Oops. Looks like there isn't one.

In fact, there's a hell of a lot less than 195 embassies there, so it seems there are a lot of countries that aren't on the mailing list.

How do you suppose all those left-out countries find out about changes in the UK's passport requirements, if not by checking publically available information on their own (which you seem to think is just plain dumb)?

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 22, 2010 18:20      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
some times I wish I could lay claim to being native.

Sadly, Mrs Druids 6% Mohegan ancestry (and the druidlings 3%) doesn't entitle them to a share in this

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 22, 2010 18:57      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpySteen:
Yeah? Where's the embassy for the Iroquois nation?

Oops. Looks like there isn't one.

In fact, there's a hell of a lot less than 195 embassies there, so it seems there are a lot of countries that aren't on the mailing list.

How do you suppose all those left-out countries find out about changes in the UK's passport requirements, if not by checking publically available information on their own (which you seem to think is just plain dumb)?

You really don't give the diplomatic service much credit for intelligence.

All of this stuff was arranged long before "look it up on our web site" became possible.

When there's no full-time embassy, that job will have been delegated to a nearby one, eg there's no Australian Embassy in Peru, but the aussie embassy in Chile handles that relationship.

I expect you'll find the UK consulate in New York or Montreal handle the relationship with the Iroquois.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 23, 2010 07:17      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So you're suggesting that consulates who receive information about the UK's passport requirements will then proactively contact nearby countries who don't have UK embassies and make sure that they're given the information?

And they know which nearby countries to contact because, I suppose, they keep a list of every embassy in every nearby country just so they can make sure they pass along passport information?

And it seems more plausible to you that countries would generously and selflessly put forth all this effort on behalf of nearby countries rather than something simpler like, for instance, believing that a country's passport agency would make a phone call to another country's embassy to ask what their passport requirements are?

Really?

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 23, 2010 08:12      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpySteen:
So you're suggesting that consulates who receive information about the UK's passport requirements will then proactively contact nearby countries who don't have UK embassies and make sure that they're given the information?

I'm suggesting that a UK embassy that's been given responsibility for dealing with several nations would do so, yes. Just as the Australian Embassy in Chile handles the relationship with several other South American nations.

quote:
From TFWP:
The Australian Embassy in Chile has consular responsibility for Chile, Peru, Bolivia and Ecuador.

quote:
And they know which nearby countries to contact because, I suppose, they keep a list of every embassy in every nearby country just so they can make sure they pass along passport information?
Does it really surprise you that the Australian embassy in Chile knows there's no Australian embassy in Peru?
Do you really think keeping track of details like that is beyond the wit of the diplomatic service?

quote:
And it seems more plausible to you that countries would generously and selflessly put forth all this effort on behalf of nearby countries
You do know that the UK embassy in Washington works for the UK government, right?
And you do know that government to government communications is a major part of what embassies are for, right?

quote:

rather than something simpler like, for instance, believing that a country's passport agency would make a phone call to another country's embassy to ask what their passport requirements are?

Simpler?

Option a: When a country changes their passport requirement, they issue a memo, which goes out to their network of embassies, who then pass it on to the governments that embassy deals with.

Option b: Every country in the world maintains a call centre, whose job it is to call every other country in the world at regular intervals asking "Have your passport requirements changed since our last call?"

Which sounds simpler to you?

--------------------

Mr. Geek 2U
Alpha Geek
Member # 28663

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 24, 2010 19:42      Profile for Mr. Geek 2U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, well, well.

So much fussin' and fightin'. I am sad for that!

So everybody smile and kiss a puppy for a moment, OK?

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

There isn't that better?

Mrs. Geek 2Me and Me have a Ear-A-Coy Maiden for a friend and she told me the real reason the Britishers won't let them play.

Yes! Yes! Yes! What does her tribal council say? Are U Red-ee?

They say the Britishers are sissies! And they are afraid the natives will put their sticks in a place the laddies hold special for the boarding school teachers!

Ha! Ha! Ha! She is funny!

Hey Tea-Chur leave those boys a-loan!

No offence. Just funny. Funny. Funny.

I do think she has a point. Not just on her La-Cross stick, too.

Ha. Ha. Ha!

If the Britishers were real men they would let the Ear-A-Coy play.

They would not hide behind a piece of paper like fraidy-cats!

What do think?

Have a great day! Kiss a puppy for peace!

Mr. Geek 2U!

--------------------
My friends call me Skippy

Posts: 260 | From: Kalamazoo | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2010 16:01      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Option b: Every country in the world maintains a call centre, whose job it is to call every other country in the world at regular intervals asking "Have your passport requirements changed since our last call?"

You know, I don't actually care much about lacrosse, or who can or can't play it where, or why.

But that made me laugh.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2010 18:56      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know...it can all be solved with XML! [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture