homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » So we survived the fire...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: So we survived the fire...
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2010 00:19      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's school holidays here in oz, so I packed Clan MacDruid (and one of the druidlings friends) into the druidmobile, and headed off to the coast for a few days in the great outdoors.

The cabin we rented had a kitchen, with one of those gas stoves that has an electric grill. On the first evening we put some sausages and chops on the grill, turned the grill on, and *bang* the circuit-breaker tripped, leaving us in total darkness except for the eerie yellow glow coming from the inside of the stove. Closer inspection revealed the source of the eerie yellow glow... a large yellow flame in a part of the stove that's not supposed to have any. (I learned later that an electrical short had ignited the gas line)

So, I hastily evacuated Clan MacDruid from the building, called management to let them know what was going on (and convince them that I wasn't just seeing the pilot light) then spent some time running around in the rain and dark trying to find the gas cutoff valve.

By the time management arrived, I'd found the cutoff valve, the fire was out, and I was nursing a badly grazed shin (running around in the dark and wet is a bad idea).

So, Clan MacDruid got relocated to alternative digs, the druidlings have a great story to tell their classmates tomorrow, the management have been very apologetic, offered us free accommodation for our next stay, and arranged for a tradesman to come and safety-check all their stoves.

All's well that ends well, right?

/me limps off to change the dressing on his shin...

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 11, 2010 01:04      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget, you had an exciting story to tell us, too!

Glad you guys didn't blow up, TFD.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2010 04:38      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ TFD, at least you had the presence of mind to to save the landlords unit. Now you can tell the story any way you want. Hint: After the fire trucks left.

____ I must commend you, now go think up a real good narrative.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted July 11, 2010 10:07      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mag Valour Druid!

pics or it didn't happen. [Razz]

(actually, I'd love to see pics of the cabin and the coast if you have any.)

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted July 12, 2010 00:56      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like quite a trip....
Glad to hear you managed to keep everybody safe. That scenario could have been a whole lot nastier than it was...but then you know that already.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2010 03:56      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
pics or it didn't happen. [Razz]

(actually, I'd love to see pics of the cabin and the coast if you have any.)

Lunch stop at Tooradin on the way...

-

The road into the national park...
 -

The beach near our cabin (taken on a previous trip)...
 -

Winter in Australia is just hell. [Razz]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2010 08:06      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ TFD, I had to reset my seasons, there all is better, I just went through a week of 90F+.

____ A few years ago my Bro sent me an E-mail titled after the fire trucks left. Then four months later we had an attic fan failure and it started a fire in the attic. I did have a dry chemical extinguisher, those things really work well. By the time the fire department arrived the fire was out with min-able damage.

____ However I fear your underwear may have suffered.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture