homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Friday Five!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Friday Five!!!
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2010 07:41      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey! You guys know what we haven't had around here in a long time? The friday five!

For anyone that's forgotten, five questions. Anybody can play. Interpret the questions however you want. There are no wrong answers. The more you write, the more fun it is.

So... hmm... some questions...

Since it's summer, vacation time, the theme is travel.

1. Would you rather have a time machine or a spaceship? (No, you can't use the time machine to go into the future when everyone has spaceships.*)

2. Of all the places you've ever been, where is your favorite?

3. Of all the places you've never been, where do you most want to go?

4. Planes, trains, or automobiles? (Or "other, please explain.") Favorite method of transportation?

5. When you aren't on the internet, where do you go?

Edit: Or in any other way to get a spaceship. Ahem. Snaggy.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2010 08:07      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Would you rather have a time machine or a spaceship? (No, you can't use the time machine to go into the future when everyone has spaceships.)

Time machine, hands down, but only if it were somehow immune to the potential effects of destroying your own future.

Kauai, Hawaii. The most remote location on earth. Yes, the weather is beautiful, yes the beaches are nice, the stars are HUGE, but what I liked most was the completely chill atmosphere. It's so laid back and relaxed that it's like everybody is stoned all the time... on life!

Not sure, always kind of wanted to visit Australia, just because it seems like an interesting place to visit.

4. Planes, trains, or automobiles? (Or "other, please explain.") Favorite method of transportation?

Definitely automobiles! Preferably an old VW. [Big Grin] Now if we could just figure out the oil consumption/pollution problem...

I don't know, I never leave the internet! [Razz] Seriously, the most common destination spot is my parents' house, which just happens to be scenically located 2 miles from Weko Beach and the beautiful, sandy shores of Lake Michigan.

Last summer I went camping in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, at Tahquamenon Falls, which is just West of Paradise. I had the best cup of coffee that I've ever had in my life while in Paradise; I think it must be the quality of the local water because I think they just brewed ordinary Maxwell House coffee.

This year, for the week of April 20th, [Wink] I went camping in Pewamo, MI on the shores of the Maple River. Fished my butt off that week and didn't catch a damned thing.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted July 09, 2010 08:50      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Friday Five f'ing rocks, thanks for re-5ing it fs!

1. Would you rather have a time machine or a spaceship? (No, you can't use the time machine to go into the future when everyone has spaceships.)

Time Machine, since space travel is most likely boring. Plus I could use the Time Machine to make a ton on money on the stock market and buy a spaceship. [Razz]

New Zealand, with Iceland a close second.

Hawaii, although I did land there on the way the New Zealand. I need to see flowing lava.

automobiles since you can stop and get out more, and if it's your own car, you decide your own destiny. And you know, I kinda miss hitchhiking, as that was a great way to see a country and meet the neat people of that country. (New Zealand and Iceland in particular)

to the ocean beach, but I don't leave Internet nearly enough lately. Stupid me.

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2010 09:24      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spaceship.

Indian Bar Meadow, Mt. Rainier. If that's not what heaven looks like I ain't going.

Pompeii.

Quantum tunneling. Just kidding. I prefer bicycling, followed by sailing, but really whatever is most practical is my favorite at the moment.

Lab, outdoors, or dreamland.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2010 09:29      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely the time machine, as long as the the one serious issue is resolved.

Do places that exist only in recurring dreams count? If not, then I would have to go with either Golden Ears Provincial Park or Smoky Mountains National Park.

The Galapagos islands. I seem to have a thing for uninhabited areas, don't I?

Automobile.

Usually to bed.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2010 09:53      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My turn!

1. Would you rather have a time machine or a spaceship?

Spaceship, especially one of those fancy hyperwarpgate FTL models. I'd be goin' places.

Or wait. Maybe I'd rather have the time machine...

It's a dilemma.

In a "like to visit but wouldn't want to live there" way, the southwest. Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada. The desert is really beautiful.

It's a tie between Mt. Kilimanjaro and Machu Picchu.

Bicycle. I'd like to go on some longer bicycle tours. (For long distance, I prefer train, even if it takes longer.)

Well, earlier this summer, we went hiking (my first overnight camping trip!) at Isälvsleden. Also, we biked up the river to the botanical gardens, but we only saw a little of them, so we have to go back.

Later in the summer, or early fall, we're going to go to Hemavan and see one of the glaciers.

--------------------

Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2010 10:56      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Would you rather have a time machine or a spaceship? (No, you can't use the time machine to go into the future when everyone has spaceships.*) Oh, a tardis hands down. I'm such a whovian geek.

2. Of all the places you've ever been, where is your favorite? That is hard. London or Edinburgh I guess.

3. Of all the places you've never been, where do you most want to go? I want to stay in the villa from Enchanted April.

4. Planes, trains, or automobiles? (Or "other, please explain.") Favorite method of transportation? Always had a hankering to ride the Orient Express. An appetite now wetted by Suchet's recent tv program. However if it isn't a special train, I fly

Home and cook and clean and read stories to my six year old.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2010 12:06      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Would you rather have a time machine or a spaceship? (No, you can't use the time machine to go into the future when everyone has spaceships.*)

Space is boring. I'd go back in time -- back to when my bank balance could procure me all manner of goods and services. ;-)

Uppsala, Sverige.

Never been to the Rockies...

Trains. Defo. No contest. (I've watched a lot of Hitchcock.)

To a dark room, to cry.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2010 12:56      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:

to the ocean beach, but I don't leave Internet nearly enough lately. Stupid me.

This ocean beach?

--------------------

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted July 09, 2010 15:32      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fs: That one is over on the other side of Vancouver island, the Pacific Ocean side. Near Sooke. Here's a shot of one of those, near Tofino, the amazing Long Beach...
 -

We are now on the east side of the island... lots of beaches on this side too...
 -

-

Or just go on the paddleboard. [Smile]
 -

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2010 16:00      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Would you rather have a time machine or a spaceship?

Time machine, obviously....they are still making Dr Who, but they are not still making Blake's Seven. That tells you all you need to know.

Moorland...Saddleworth preferably, but any old moorland as long as it is bleak and foggy.

British Museum. Or the Natural History Museum, or the British Library, or The John Hunter museum, or...or...or...

Cars for practicality, but trains for mystery and romance.

In the bath, with a large whisky and a good bbok.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2010 23:21      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy, those are beautiful beaches!

quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
British Museum. Or the Natural History Museum, or the British Library, or The John Hunter museum, or...or...or...

Grummash, I'd like to visit those too. Especially the library.

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 10, 2010 00:27      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the latter has free wifi!!! [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 10, 2010 07:58      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fs:
Snaggy, those are beautiful beaches!

quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:

Grummash, I'd like to visit those too. Especially the library.
The best thing about the British Museum is the Great Court -- stunning piece of modern architecture. (IIRC, I think Snupes, Jess and the Cheez and I visited there a while back... but I may be imagining things again... )

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 10, 2010 08:29      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you see the Reading Room at the center of it? Utterly magnificent.

The British Museum is one of my favorite places to visit in London. (Not only is the architecture nice...but they have the Rosetta stone and much, much, more.) And while a bit pricey, the Great Court is a very nice place to have a cuppa and a scone.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 10, 2010 17:23      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I think my nick answers the question sufficiently.

The Smithsonian Museum

New Zealand

Hmmm I can't decide

the bathroom

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 11, 2010 00:59      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah! he Smithsonian is awesome. I could live there, if they'd let me. I haven't been in some years; I'd like to go with Maswan sometime when we're in the US. I think he'd love the Air and Space Museum, and the computing history exhibit in the American History Museum, and of course, dinosaurs (!!!) in the Natural History Museum.

At least, I really like those bits. (Probably the mainstays of any geek Smithsonian visit.)

I really enjoyed the African Art Museum and the Freer Gallery, too.

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2010 04:50      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Since it's summer, vacation time, the theme is travel.

1: Time travel (back to the future)

2: Ireland

3: Too many.

4: Sailboat.

5: None of your Business, No really we decide to go then we are off and running, we tell every one when we get back. We do not want any one facebooking our house.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2010 01:02      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) a sufficiently fast enough space ship is a time machine. ( I want a klingon warbird.)

2)earth (basically I have a top 10-20 list, but i can't choose.)

3)Thailand.

4) Trains. No hassle of the airports, no haveing to concentrate on driving. and if you get a good train you can get a nice bed, shower, gourmet food and great views.

and you can usually buy a ticket on board. go down to the train station, look at a board, and pick a train that is going somewhere interesting.

try getting on a plane without having bought your ticket in advance.

5)Everywhere possible, I just got back from Kyiv and Budepest. They have good dumplings there.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2010 16:42      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow... complete explosion from the past tense...

Time Machine - there's a lot I'd like to do again the correct way...

Siena, Italy (regardless of the nasty condition of St. Catherine's head).

This once would have said "Pompeii," but I finally made it there. High on the list is the Statue of the Motherland in Volgograd.

Canoe. They allow you to sneak up on wildlife, get you just wet enough and produce near zilch pollutants.

Skin mag shop... no wait... to work... or to the bookshelf...

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture