homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Animal Planet

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Animal Planet
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2010 07:50      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ran across this little guy in Joshua Tree NP.
 -

-

In my amatuer opinion this is not a diamondback but a rocky mountain spotted rattlesnake.

It was 40C + that day. I decided afterword next time I won't save weight byy leaving my snake bite kit ( well my entire first aid kit) behind. I was also hiking in open sandles because it was so warm. (Basically I was only carrying water with me.)

Back a the camp site they has a sign, in case of emergency, the nearest phone to call for help was 40 miles away, though they noted halfway there you would aquire cell phone reception.

Post your animal planet pictures in this thread.

ps, I told my wife to put her hand in the photo so people would be able to see how big the snake is but she wouldn't do it.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted June 20, 2010 09:12      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
woah!

I loved Joshua Tree, but then again, I didn't see one of those. [Eek!]

(I was there in January, so it wasn't so hot, but it was still hot.)

There's a garter snake in the back yard that makes me jump every time I cut the lawn.

edit: I'd better add some animals...

Fish (perch?) off of Savory Island (photo by Nitrozac)
 -

housecat.
 -

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2010 09:37      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Squirrel in Washington DC, USA
 -

Big deer thing - any ideas? Seen in Jasper, Canada.
 -

Ground squirrel, Moraine lake, Canada
 -

Bug, Chilton, England
 -

Duck, Loch Tay, Scotland
 -

Gecko, Phi Phi island, Thailand
 -

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2010 10:38      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The big deer thing is an elk cow. Very nice shot!

Snaggy, why does that cat want to kill you?

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted June 20, 2010 10:52      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xan, all cats want to kill you, it's just a matter of when they decide they are finished playing with you. [Razz]
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2010 13:02      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy: The cat that owns Casa del Druid has a look like that, Mrs Druid calls it her "If you were smaller, I could eat you" look.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2010 18:21      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joshua Tree NP is a great place not too far from me. I used to do a lot of hiking, climbing and TONS of bouldering in the area. Great place to go and get lost for a few days.

Ashitaka, what were you doin in the area? Just visiting?

CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2010 20:50      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope you enjoyed Joshua Tree Ash. It is a beautiful place in its starkness.

Hope you had a chance to see Pioneer Town. I have friends that live out in Yucca, and grew up with some people that had a cabin in the park itself.

Absolutely beautiful at night, the sky went on forever.

We need to get out there someday soon, but I prefer to wait for fall.

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2010 23:33      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on a 20 day road trip in CO, UT, AZ and CA. I went to go hiking/camping in Joshua Tree, Bryce Canyon, Capitol Reef, Arches, Grand Canyon and a state park or two.

Capitol Reef was the best. Joshua Tree has a couple senic drives that are "4x4" recomended. The park ranger even told me not to try these road in a rented vehicle. That was utter BS, you could have driven down these roads in a lowered two wheel drive street racer. Capitol Reef has a south exit that is 4x4 recomended. This "road" is scary and for expert 4x4 drivers ( it was a bit more than what I awaited on what was referred to as a "prepared road". I beat the crap out of my rental (2010 grand cherokee larado, and IMHO this soccer mom transporter maintains its off-road pedigree) but all the dinges were on the under carraige so no-one noticed.

Capitol reef is as emty as joshua tree fo rthose who want to get away.

Has anybody ever met the on staff astronomer at Bryce canyon. He is a total geek. His astronomy program that he runs is not so much about astronomy but a 90 iartight thesis on light polution and what should be done. with the stated goal of a militant struggle agaist light polluters. ( amoungst about 90 Hitchhiker references)

p.s. I just remembered, there was a national recreation area in Sedona AZ which refused to take my annual NP pass, but took the NP pass for senior citizens, I have angry letters to write. ( this is ageism)

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 21, 2010 12:03      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This guy

-

showed up on my porch every night this spring. Seems to be some sort of lizard/ salamander.

I am curious to know if it is poisonous, considering it is so colorful.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 21, 2010 12:07      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
This guy {image snipped}

showed up on my porch every night this spring. Seems to be some sort of lizard/ salamander.

I am curious to know if it is poisonous, considering it is so colorful.

Yes it is.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture