homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Purchasing PC Hardware

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Purchasing PC Hardware
Sprocket
Mini Geek
Member # 10210

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2010 11:23      Profile for Sprocket   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So i have decided to build a media center PC/server.

I a;ready have a server and just need to upgrade it. So I did some online shopping and this is what i bought to turn it into a media server.

I bought this cable thinking it was a good price for a decent cable. Upon receiving it in the mail today, I noticed that the cable i received is of higher gage wire than the one in the picture. YAY!!!

S-vid to RCA w/3.5mm to RCA

I received this sata/ide controller card so i can have expandable storage.

Sata/IDE controller

Also purchased a step up from what i currently have processor.

P-III 1.0GHz

Last but not least and the whole reason for this post. I bought a decent video card with S-vid out.

ATI X1300 256MB

Now for the crazy shock that i got this morning when fedex came and dropped off the package with the video card. The box was about 1.5ft x 1.5ft x 10in. In my head I said man thats a big box for just one video card. When the fedex man handed me the box i was surprised at how much it weighed for one video card. When I opened the box was when the REAL shocker came. Inside the box was 15 of these video cards! What a buy!!!! i paid around $1.50-$2.00 a card!!!!

--------------------
-----------------------------------
Life would be so much easier if we only had the source code.

If brute force doesn't solve your problems, then you aren't using enough.

Posts: 79 | From: Ypsilanti | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2010 11:40      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome! Get one more and set up a 4x4 giant display.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2010 12:19      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WIN!

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2010 14:28      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or sell them on eBay for ~$5+ each.

Still, max's idea would be awesome! [Big Grin]
(However, you'd need a much better CPU to drive that, I think. [Wink] )

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sprocket
Mini Geek
Member # 10210

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2010 19:23      Profile for Sprocket   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Though maximile's idea is awesome

two things

one the gf would not like it. She doesnt want me spending money on a third monitor

and

two i dont think i could afford 14 more monitors

--------------------
-----------------------------------
Life would be so much easier if we only had the source code.

If brute force doesn't solve your problems, then you aren't using enough.

Posts: 79 | From: Ypsilanti | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2010 01:10      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Windows, of course, will only support 9 monitors at once. According to Raymond Chen, you can blame The Brady Bunch for that limit. [Big Grin]

--------------------
See more From The Erbo Files: www.erbosoft.com/blog/

Posts: 1480 | From: Denver, CO, US | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Venture
Geek-in-Training
Member # 32021

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2010 10:16      Profile for Venture   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A media center huh? I've been wanting to build one of those for a while. Don't have the cash yet tho. or a nice TV for that matter. You should take a look at sabayon Linux media center software. its pretty nice for this purpose.and it has a live cd so you can try it out with out installing it. Have fun :-)

--------------------
~The world is a hologram; Subvert the dominant paradigm~

Posts: 35 | From: Summerville, SC | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture