homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » The Internet has drastically shortened my attenion span, but that is ok

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Internet has drastically shortened my attenion span, but that is ok
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted April 25, 2010 12:42      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Internet has drastically shortened my attenion span, but that is ok because i think that is why I like to read old encyclopedias and text books. They are divided up nicely into five minute reading sessions, then after five minutes, you are at the end of the article and you can skip to anouther secton of the book or go do something else.

Novels are just to long for me. Should I start reading novels again? when I was a teenager I would usually kill a saturday by readig a 600 page novel, in one day. I'd sleep into 10:30 or so get up eat, and rad till dinner, then rad till I finnished the book, usually way past midnight. I haven't done that since I went of to college. maybe I should plan that for one saturday. I wonder If I still would enjoy that or if I would find that arguous.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 25, 2010 13:29      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read long media, like novels, on paper. My attention span for on screen reading is about 500 words. Less than a thousand, definitely.

I'm always astounded to discover people don't read novels; I really enjoy them.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2010 14:58      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A good novel doesn't require an attention span. A good novel sucks you in so deep that next thing you know, hours have gone by and you're trying to decide which to do first, eat or pee, and how can you accomplish these tasks really really quickly so you can get back to your novel?

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2010 17:55      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Xanthine, So true.

____ I am an info hound, and get side tracked by useless info.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2010 10:42      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:

____ I am an info hound, and get side tracked by useless info.

Same here. I'm known as a human encyclopedia of useless knowledge due to that tendency.(recent random knowledge: The Bath School Disaster of 1927. Not really a "disaster" so much as the depths of human depravity. My morbid curiosity kept me reading despite the extremely depressing nature of the stories.)

I don't read quite as many novels as I used to, but I'll still absorb shorter ones in a few days if I find a good one and get sucked in. The rest take longer due to short reading sessions at lunch and any other times I can get 30 minutes or so of free time.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2010 17:41      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
A good novel doesn't require an attention span. A good novel sucks you in so deep that next thing you know, hours have gone by and you're trying to decide which to do first, eat or pee, and how can you accomplish these tasks really really quickly so you can get back to your novel?

The answer there is obvious, you pee first because you can take the book into the bathroom with you.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2010 18:22      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, I stopped reading this thread part-way through. What were we talking about? [shake head]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 10 posted April 26, 2010 18:56      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
Sorry, I stopped reading this thread part-way through. What were we talking about? [shake head]

tl;dr

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2010 23:42      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:

The answer there is obvious, you pee first because you can take the book into the bathroom with you.
The bathroom is the perfect place to have a volume of an encyclopedia, the chapters are the perfect lenght. I'll stop there.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2010 17:46      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love a good novel. Takes me forever to get through in 5 - 10 minute nibbles, though. I hardly ever have time to be sucked in like I used to.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2010 14:29      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still like novels and read. After buying a used Sony Reader, I suspect I read a lot more than I did before (having 200+ books with me at all times is niiiiice).

I do find that my attention span for news articles has been shortened. I still read longer articles like the analyses of the global effects of the crash of the US economy, but most current topics do not need an additional ten column inches of author's opinion, nor do they need twenty more of selectively chosen historical bits used to create a context that supports the author's opinion.

As Joe Friday would say, "All we want are the facts, ma'am."

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture