homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » I think I like KDE 4.3!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I think I like KDE 4.3!!!
crazyarlo
Geek
Member # 1226

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted April 22, 2010 09:45      Profile for crazyarlo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just on a hunch, I installed Kde 4.3 (Kubuntu Desktop) on my Ubuntu machine, and low and behold, I like it!! I was trying to find out if the interface was, well, more Window like to convert folks, but to tell the truth.. I actually LIKE the eye candy!! Usability is much better than KDE 4, and performance has improved! Really looks like a world class operating system! I expected to hate it!!

That is my confession.

Posts: 238 | From: Southern Ohio ... SURF OHIO, BABY! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2010 12:35      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Just a few questions, before I set up to download that ISO, How much machine will I need, I am using P3s with less then 512K Ram. Up until 8.04-lts I really have enjoyed the straight up Ubuntu, now I am running up against the headroom of the machines, really starting to get slowed down.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2010 13:15      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MoMan, I probably wouldn't do it. KDE needs a lot. It is beautiful ( I like the looks too ) but for all the visual goodies, you will need as much processing and RAM power you can muster. The more the better.

I recently tried out LXDE again and was pleasantly surprised. It worked really well over XDMCP and looked good.

So if you would like a little pretty with your power, it is a decent option.

Link to LXDE

Oh and the most recent update to Ubuntu killed my XDMCP connection. This is probably the reason I never have gotten back on the Ubuntu bandwagon. I use it, but it doesn't really make me feel confident.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2464 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2010 16:57      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TheMoMan wrote:
I am using P3s with less then 512K Ram.

What kind of memory does your system take and how many slots does it have? I have a pile of old hardware and if I have anything that would fit, I'd be happy to send it to you for free.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2010 17:56      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ CommanderSchroom, thanks for the heads up on headroom needed to run KDE at dialup speeds that would have been a big disappointment.

____ GrumpyS, The old cow box (gateway) uses PC-100 but the Bios will only talk to 256/slot two slots. This laptop, an old DELL Inspiron only has 256 total in the two slots, I just got an other Dell box slower than the Cowbox, however for use in the ham shack, IT HAS TWO IOIOI ports so I can run two rigs at once or at least not play what radio am I using now.with the ports.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2010 18:23      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Grumpy, The concern I have at this moment is getting The RigCat part of this program www.w1hkj.com/Fldigi.html Dave W1HKJ has written the best sound card decoder for this type of Ham Radio, it will decode signals that do not show up on the spectrum analyser, nor do you actually hear them, but the guy is there and if his program can see your signal the two of you have a contact.

________ To talk to this VFO http://groups.yahoo.com/group/N3ZI_kits/
____ Actually I have two of these VFOs one for Transmit and one for receive. Right now we are stopping one program to open Terminal adjust frequency and then resuming Fldigi. Fldigi also runs the best in Puppy but Bash in Puppy does not support screen.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

crazyarlo
Geek
Member # 1226

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2010 04:59      Profile for crazyarlo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@themoman KDE 4.3 is more graphics intensive than Gnome, so it takes heftier hardware. I would try Ubuntu, and if speed is an issue, try PCLINUXOS.
Posts: 238 | From: Southern Ohio ... SURF OHIO, BABY! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2010 03:24      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ CommanderShroom I have been attempting to find LXDE, I keep getting 404 type ERRORS or not found on this server.

____ crazyarlo I have found that the Terminal in Xubuntu 9.10 works better than the one in 8.04 LTS

____ Basically most of my time is making "Solder Smoke" getting my kits up and running. The reciever works great, I am building an over drive and AGC (Automatic Gain Control) so I have enough signal but not so much as to blow the sound card, on the computer. The VFO for transmit does not put out enough to excite the mixer stage of the transmitter, however an op-amp in that lead will bring that up to needed levels. I have to replace the prescaler in the frequency counter as I let out the magic smoke, this morning it is raining so I have no worry about not plowing while out in the barn.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 25, 2010 04:33      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mo:

If you're looking for low-overhead, I use fluxbox on Xubuntu and am quite happy with it. I'm not particularly obsessed with eye-candy and it does what I need.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture