homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Strange customers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Strange customers
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2010 12:19      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We all have strange customers, whether internal or external. I get some doozies at the library. Today a patron angry that we owned no books on the Indian tribe of Chechnya in Iraq. I suggested books on Chechnya or minorities in Iraq, but no go. I just don't know my job.

Any strange customer stories today?

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2010 12:34      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ No, but I have stories about counter help at Parts stores. I was ready to buy a new alternator for our Van, and the phone rings and this clown waiting on me fields a call on alternators while I am standing there, cash in hand. I took my business elsewhere while there the phone rings and the person at the counter yelled out for someone else to get the phone. He sold me an Alternator. I just don't know about quality today that one went 226k/mile before it just up and quit. No warning nada just up and quit.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2010 20:10      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few weeks ago someone called me up and said something about not being able to access some website. I assumed she was calling to say she couldn't log into some resource, and getting distinctly tempted to hand her off to a junior coworker (those calls are huge time drains)....but I asked her a few questions first and found out that she could get into her account[s] just fine.

What was the problem?

The problem was with her home Internet connection. As tactfully as possible, I explained to her that she would need to contact her ISP and that it was impossible for me to assist her with such issues.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
CW Smith
Geek Apprentice
Member # 12150

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 25, 2010 19:43      Profile for CW Smith   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I worked in a mall music store about 15 years ago. We got some real winners there. One of my favorite conversations went something like this:

CUSTOMER: I'm looking for a song I heard on the radio, but I can't remember the name. Can you help me?

ME: I'll do my best. Do you remember any words from the song?

CUSTOMER: No. I can't remember.

ME: Can you hum a couple of bars? Maybe I'll recognize the melody.

CUSTOMER: No, I can't carry a tune.

ME: Did you recognize the singer? Did the announcer say who it was?

CUSTOMER: No, I don't think the DJ said who it was, and I couldn't be sure myself.

ME: What station did you hear it on? When did you hear it? The stations keep a playlist, we might be able to call and ask ...

CUSTOMER: [interrupts] I don't remember.

ME: A fast song? A ballad? Had you heard it before, or was it brand-new to you?

CUSTOMER: I don't know.

ME: I'm sorry, ma'am, you're not giving me much to go on here ...

CUSTOMER: What !? How did you get a job here if you don't know your music !?

One or more of my co-workers would have this same conversation with some customer at least once a week. Twice a day at Christmas time.

--------------------
Peace,
CW

guitar, bass, percussion, Macintosh.
http://www.cwsmith.fm

Posts: 42 | From: Des Moines, IA USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2010 03:00      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ CW Smith, Half a lifetime ago I used to frequent Honky Tonks and Piano Bars, I do like Piano Music. Well at one, that had a very good player I asked for a certain tune, His reply "Never heard of it, If you can find it in my stack of music I'll play it for you." Well two sets later I find the tune hand it to him, he takes one look "Oh that one". and proceeds to play the tune from memory.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2010 11:11      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've answered hum alongs too, CW. My favourite was a tune we all knew, but couldn't quite place for the patron. It was being used in a Totts commercial. Another library patron walked by and upon hearing our hums said "That's O mio babbino caro by Puccini." And the patron was right!
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture