homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » A Science Project To Go With A New Job

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A Science Project To Go With A New Job
Sprocket
Mini Geek
Member # 10210

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2010 12:59      Profile for Sprocket   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First off some quick back story.

Last September I was let go from the Lawn Care Company that I worked for. There was very little validity to their reason, but that is not my point for this post.

I worked for a short time at Cabela's, but since Jan. of 2010 I have been living off unemployment. Alas the job market kinda sucks right now. Well my girlfriend, Nakia, dad is good friends with a mechanic/general manager of a Lawn Care Company in Saline, MI. Nakia's parents went out to dinner with this friend. They mentioned (unintentionally) that I was currently unemployed. Their friend, Jimmy, told them to have me call him. I did exactly that and now it is Spring and I know have a job there as a Crew Leader. The only issue is how to get there the quickest without running into too much traffic, thus the following which I did today.

So here are four different ways that I took to get to there and back and the data.

Route #1

Route #1 map

Distance Length (Google Maps) - 16.4 miles (approx. 26km)
Time (Google Maps) - 20 min.

Actual Time - 25 min. (This number is skewed for lack of traffic and problem areas that are known)

Route #2

Route #2 map

Distance (Google Maps) - 18.8 miles (30.25km)
Time (Google Maps) - 34 minutes

Actual Time - 28 minutes

Route #3

Route #3 map

Distance (Google Maps) - 19.1 miles (30.7)
Time (Google Maps) - 41 Minutes

Time (Actual) - 27 Minutes

Route #4

Route #4 Map

Distance (Google Maps)- 15.4 miles (24.7)
Time (Google Maps) - 43 minutes

Time (Actual) - 26 minutes

So that is my different routes that I could take. none are really any quicker than the other really. Guess i get to drive through the country to get to work from now on!!! YAY!!!!

--------------------
-----------------------------------
Life would be so much easier if we only had the source code.

If brute force doesn't solve your problems, then you aren't using enough.

Posts: 79 | From: Ypsilanti | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2010 13:44      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you do the test runs at the same time of day you'll be going to work?

It can make a huge difference.

Where I'm working now, I can leave home at 9:20, and get to work at 10:00, a 40 minute drive. If I want to get to work at 9:00 (which is rare) I have to leave home at 8:00, traffic conditions add 50% to the trip time.

Also: looking at route #3, it looks like you could save a couple of minutes by using Stony Creek Road, have you tried that?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2010 15:39      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd definitely take Route 4... Route 3 is silly, you're back-tracking a mile on Whittaker Rd. Route 2 is icky, Munger Rd. is a POS!

You also could take Route 5... Textile to Carpenter to Bemis. Or, what Druid said.. Stony Creek.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture