homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » I'm standing. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: I'm standing.
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted February 25, 2010 09:24      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For a couple of years now I've been getting horrible tailbone pain after working on the computer for short periods of time. Apparently I damaged the old tail at some point (I think it was a cross-country skiing wipe-out). I've tried the various cushions and such, they work to some degree, but it always comes back.

Yes indeed, coccyx pain is a bummer, to say the least.

So, inspired by Star Trek, I've set up a standing workstation to see if that helps. If Tasha Yar and Worf can handle it, then so can I!

Wish me luck, it's been an hour and my feet are killing me already.
[cry baby]

Posts: 7803 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2010 10:08      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For any standing working stations, you have to make sure the floor is set up appropriately! Rubber mats do wonder (that's what manufactures use - and I have done that job a summer, so I know!), and make sure you have comfortable shoes. A little yoga for some good work posture could help too. Good luck, and have fun!

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted February 25, 2010 10:28      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So a cold, concrete basement floor isn't a good idea? [Razz]

Thanks Stereo! Good ideas!

MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2010 12:04      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me plays "Get Up, Stand Up" in honor of Snaggy's new modus operandi. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2329 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2010 12:16      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Snaggy, So a cold, concrete basement floor isn't a good idea? One word answer NO. The concrete will pull the warmth out of your feet, the next day you may limp, or experience gout like symtoms. Build up the floor, with plywood over 2x2s add a small space heater blowing warm air under the plywood so that your feet don't get cold. think about a leaning stool to partially park your setter downer on, then your feet do not have to support your full body weight for long periods of time.

--------------------
If it don't glow it ain't Ham Radio

Posts: 5421 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2010 12:33      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can get used to standing for long periods. I prefer to do any sort of intense hands-on type of work, be it cooking or an arts-craftsy project or wet lab work, on my feet (though if I'm using a computer or microscope I prefer to sit). The work I did as a grad and undergrad was very different from what I do now and I would often find myself standing most of the day on linoleum floors. These days the standing's been pared down by about two-thirds. The prolonged periods of time on my feet only bothered me when I was a rookie. And honestly I'm not too in love with the amount of sitting I do these days. The resulting science is pretty cool but it's rough on me back.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7667 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2010 17:00      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might also try one of those crazy ergonomic things that you basically kneel forward in. Personally, I think they're bizarre, but I'm aware that some people swear by them.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9195 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted February 25, 2010 17:28      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm thinking a big jolly jumper would be perfect. [Big Grin]
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2010 17:52      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Snaggy. The problem is the inactivity of standing, Humans are expected to walk, the Valves in the veins work very well when we walk, that improves Circulation to the feet and regulates the temperature of our feet. When we sit or stand too long Circulation of the blood takes a hit.

____ Now if you could figure out how to do your computing from a treadmill, Work and Exercise at the same time.

--------------------

Posts: 5421 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 14 posted February 26, 2010 01:20      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got the answer right here.

--------------------
Silly railfan pics...
Flickr!

Posts: 791 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 26, 2010 03:55      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ YUP, Thats about right.

--------------------

Tech Angel
Alpha Geek
Member # 908

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2010 23:10      Profile for Tech Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear about the tailbone. [Frown]

There are numerous sit-stand desks and adjustable height workstations on the market so one can easily shift between work positions as needed. Here's one by, appropriately enough, GeekDesk, but many other companies make them, too.

BTW, standing while working also benefits some people with ADHD. There's even a company that produces stand-up desks for students for just that reason. They have a noiseless patent-pending "pendulum footrest" for those who need to keep their legs moving.

And if you like HalfVast's suggestion, here's a company that produces treadmill desk add-ons affordably, and Steelcase's Mercedes version. [Eek!]

--------------------
We must be the change we want to see in the world. -Mahatma Ghandi

Posts: 328 | From: the Great State of Confusion | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2010 15:04      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy: Perhaps you might find some useful stuff in this post from LH today:
http://lifehacker.com/5482856/exercise-or-not-sitting-at-a-desk-all-day-is-bad-for-you

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9195 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2010 17:50      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jonathan works as a cook at Marcaroni Grill. He swears by Mario Batali's Crocs (except Jonathan gets the same version in black). They're ugly, but they do the trick. If you're planning on working on your feet for a long time, I recommend you get yourself a pair.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3846 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted March 02, 2010 11:30      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oooo I like these suggestions and links, thanks!

A height adjusting desk would be really great. I'm sick of moving my monitor and keyboard up and down on top of boxes. [tired]

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2010 09:09      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No not crocs!!

Good shoes are a must though. I implore you though no rubber hospital shoes. ugh!

Skate shoes then to have decent padding, as do some of the true work boots (Redwings, Timberlands, etc.). If I am going to be on my feet, I like stuff that wraps my ankles well. That is typically where I hurt the most.

Keep a good stool around to lean on, but also walk around as much as you can. Being totally stationary is hard on you.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2434 | From: Somewhere between the gutter... and probably another gutter | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2010 12:33      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More from Lifehacker on standing:
http://lifehacker.com/5484742/simple-exercises-you-can-do-at-your-standing-work-station

--------------------

zorgon
Assimilated
Member # 546

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted March 03, 2010 16:33      Profile for zorgon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My folks got me a gel floor mat for the kitchen (I spend a lot of time cooking for my herd) and it's a godsend. I think they got it from SurLaTable(.com) but you can probably get them cheaper elsewhere.
Posts: 384 | From: Beautiful Uptown Goleta | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted March 05, 2010 17:44      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, it's been about a week now, and I'm starting to get used to standing while working. (In other words, I forget that I'm standing up in front of the computer now.)

Tailbone is way better, but it's been a hard week, my legs and feet are killing me at the end of the day, and I still need to get a proper workstation going, and proper pad to stand on.

I'll probably raise my whole desk this weekend, as working on various boxes is getting old. It has been interesting reading up on the whole standing desk phenom and drooling at the Geekdesk and other adjustable desks available out there in InternetLand.

Zwilnik

Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 05, 2010 18:05      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, I just got a trampoline for my birthday. I wonder if I can take this no-chair thing one step further? [Smile]

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2010 03:02      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
JOriginally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Jonathan works as a cook at Marcaroni Grill. He swears by Mario Batali's Crocs

Docs not Crocs!
Docs not Crocs!
Docs not Crocs!
Docs not Crocs!

-

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2010 12:49      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to have to throw in my recommendation for Birkenstocks. They're expensive (really expensive), but they are THE MOST comfortable shoes I've ever had. If my back hurts or my feet hurt I just put on my Birks and things feel better almost immediately.

It took a week for them to wear in, and another month for them to really wear in, and the more I wear them the more comfortable they get!

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

Posts: 2329 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2010 13:22      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ After years of factory concrete floors, I found out about "New Balance" some stores even have a foot mapping machine that will recomend the right shoe for you. Then replace them after 6-8 months as you will have broken down the inner sole. If when you are standing your feet burn then your shoes are wrong.

--------------------

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2010 15:38      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
I'm going to have to throw in my recommendation for Birkenstocks.

Damn Hippie. [Wink]
Posts: 2434 | From: Somewhere between the gutter... and probably another gutter | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2010 17:02      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was expecting that...

Need I point out the irony of that comment coming from a guy named "Shroom?"

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.