homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » The Voluntary Human Extinction Movement

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Voluntary Human Extinction Movement
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 16, 2009 21:44      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.vhemt.org/

Hey, Nitrozac and I are doing it, why don't you? [Big Grin]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2009 00:37      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sounds great but who will may the last people social security. wh wil produce the food the last generation eats. fix the cars, make everything run.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2009 04:02      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Snaggy, and Nitrozac. Are you sure you are both on board. There comes times that those ideas don't fly. While it may appeal now, it may not in a few years.

____ Look up the Sect. Shakers their religion forbade procreation. While your cause may seem very valid I seem to think that the view may change.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2009 07:31      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the issue with this movement. Guess who is gonna continue to breed like rabbits? That's right, all the toothless WalMart trolls.

Yes, smart people of the world, quit popping those puppies out. That way the mullet wearing, Camaro driving, trailer part denizens of the world can get some of those highly valuable resources.....

Not a pretty picture.

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2009 07:48      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
Here's the issue with this movement. Guess who is gonna continue to breed like rabbits? That's right, all the toothless WalMart trolls.

Yes, smart people of the world, quit popping those puppies out. That way the mullet wearing, Camaro driving, trailer part denizens of the world can get some of those highly valuable resources.....

Not a pretty picture.

Yes, but without the smart people to look after them they'd pretty much wipe themselves out within a couple of generations.

I'm of the feeling that if the talks in Copenhagen don't come up with anything solid (which is looking likely to be the case at the moment) we'll have missed our last chance of preventing a global disaster and might as well shift to protecting what bits of the biosphere we can and looking after ourselves.

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2009 08:52      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is one of the things most wrong with the environmentalism movement, IMO. It's faulty logic, moralizing nature as if there were some independent morality in the natural world.

"Then we developed agriculture, and have become parasitic, depending on exploitation of Nature for our survival, but giving nothing back."
Here's one example of bad logic, IMO. Parasites are a part of the natural world, and are neither good nor evil in that context. We are the ones that place a moral value on parasitism.

"When every human chooses to stop breeding, Earth’s biosphere will be allowed to return to its former glory"
The "glory" of a world without people does not exist, as it's our definition, not an objective reality. Something can only be beautiful to an observer. Massive extinction events have happened before, and they weren't a bad thing: they just were. Life continued and changed.

There are good reasons why people should reduce reproduction, but it's not a moral argument on behalf of the planet. It's in our own self-interest. Until environmentalism is recognized for what it really is, a selfish movement to keep the world beautiful and livable for ourselves, it's going to continue to have trouble gaining real traction with the public. When it comes down to it, we can destroy the environment all we want, and in the end it would only result in the end of us, while life on this planet would most likely continue in some form or another.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2009 08:58      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CommanderShroom wrote:

Not a pretty picture.

No, but it was an entertaining movie

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted December 17, 2009 10:10      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GrumpySteen... that movie is a gem... although unfortunately way too scarily real!
Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted December 17, 2009 10:28      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2009 10:35      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Me thinks, that some people here have been watching too much "Blue Collar Comedy Tour" and or "Larry The Cable Guy"

____ Now what is wrong with trailer parks, those trailers need rest and recreation too.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2009 16:42      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ahem

But Idiocracy was still a very entertaining movie that I highly recommend. Particularly the intro.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2009 21:37      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen these guys before and even mentioned them in a paper on overpopulation for my Social Demography class. They have a classically Malthusian argument that I largely agree with, though I support more of a stabilization of the global population back at 1960's levels rather than total extinction. I'm already helping--we've taken surgical steps to make sure we're not having any more biological kids.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2009 12:41      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TMBWITW,PB wrote:
we've taken surgical steps to make sure we're not having any more biological kids.

So robot babies aren't out of the question?

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2009 12:53      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG a kid with an actual off button. I would be in heaven.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2009 21:33      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to get all philosophical and moral about this discussion. Now that I've grown older, I've figured out how it works. You should have the optimal number of children to increase the probability that your gene line survives. That probability is a complex function of income, time to give attention to the children and just plain ability to cope with the world.

There is a trade off between having lots of spawn which have to fend for themselves vs. fewer, to which parents can invest more preparation effort. So, someone who has 4 or 5 kids but few resources is trying to crowd out the genes of those who have fewer kids but try to give them the most advantages going forward. Not that people make this calculation constantly. Our genetics are selecting for it. I just hope the strategy that mine picked for me pays off.

Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2009 22:41      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure that not only do some people not make this calculation 'constantly,' but perhaps not 'consciously' either.

I used to have a very, *ahem*, Catholic coworker. [And not the brightest of fellows.]
Sheesh...in ~3 years I'm pretty sure they had around 4 kids. (I'm pretty sure she was pregnant w/first when he was hired, and w/4th or had 4th when he was fired.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2010 09:59      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No matter what one thinks of the theme of their movement, I think we can all agree that they need a new website...

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture