homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » I found a computer bug!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I found a computer bug!
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2009 01:11      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was fairly nasty. I opened my laptop and placed my hands on the palm rest. I felt something under m left palm and had a look.

Somehow when I shut the computer last time, I squashed a spider between the screen beze and the lower case.

It's a bit freaky that I did not notice the thing. Anyone else have similar stories?

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted October 07, 2009 09:22      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nitro had a live ant in her Cinema Display for a while. I use it now, and am noticing there's some tiny winged insect bodies in the clear plastic feet.
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted October 07, 2009 09:27      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, my creepiest bug story.. When I was 16 I hitchhiked out to Newfoundland and on the way back, I stayed at a friend's house in Montreal. He had cockroaches there... gross. That was the first time I had seen them.

About two months later I am going through my wallet when this flat thing drops out. "What the heck it that?" I say to myself. Then the legs pop out and it starts to run... it's a cockroach! OMG

Luckily I was able to kill it right then and there. We had no roaches in the old farmhouse, and I certainly wouldn't want them !

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2009 10:01      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Me thinks that the worst thing to find is half a worm while eating an Apple.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2009 10:59      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy, thats horrible!
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moe Monkey
Geek
Member # 1900

Icon 1 posted October 07, 2009 16:06      Profile for Moe Monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MoMan, worse than finding half a worm would be finding a quarter of a worm. Or even worse, an eighth. Come to think of it, finding no worm in your apple would be, logically, the worst thing that could happen...
Posts: 145 | From: The couch in the living room | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2009 21:23      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
Nitro had a live ant in her Cinema Display for a while. I use it now, and am noticing there's some tiny winged insect bodies in the clear plastic feet.

My former boss had those too. We actually had ant problems in the lab too, which was a bit disturbing given how finicky our experiments were. The department isothermal titration calorimeter (ITC) lived in our space and one day some post-doc from another group came in to use it and encountered problems and decided that this had to be because an ant died on the mother board.

Please, do not apply logic.

Anyway, after that, anytime anyone had any kind of ITC problem the immediate culprit was "an ant died on the motherboard." I'm not sure our PIs appreciated the joke, but they weren't the ones who had to use the damn thing in the first place.

I ended up giving that poor post-doc a near heart attack about a day after his pronouncement about the ants. He made such a fuss about the ants and how the ant traps we'd set up around the lab clearly weren't working, but no one really wanted to hit the place with ant spray. So I went old school and sprinkled boric acid around the instrument. My boss okayed it. Trouble is, boric acid is a white powder. That didn't go over very well with the post-doc. Didn't go over well at all. I'm not sure what he was afraid of because boric acid isn't exactly dangerous and it's a pretty common reagent in biochemistry labs but whatever. I was told not to do that anymore. It didn't work very well anyway.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture