homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Infi is coming stateside!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Infi is coming stateside!!!
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted September 30, 2009 10:50      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Infinitesimal will be landing at Detroit Metro Airport in 16 days, 23 hours, and 45 minutes from the time I write this sentence. That means October 17th at about 1PM EDT. He'll be here for a week and then going to NYC.

The point of this post, though, is to ascertain who would want to come to a geek gathering and which location would be most preferable to the most number of people.

Gathering Space 1: Riverside Park, Ypsilanti, MI. A nice park with BBQ grills, a pavilion, picnic tables, right on the mighty Huron River. About 35 miles West of Detroit, 100 miles south of Saginaw, 40 miles north of the Ohio border, 50 miles East of Jackson, MI. Rainout location: My apartment, where we'd be packed in like geeky sardines.

Gathering Space 2: Tramshed's Grandma's Backyard (Exact address withheld for security reasons). Wooded, scenic, spacious backyard area complete with large canopy and BBQ grills. Ample seating if everyone brings a folding chair. About 70 miles from Chicago (driving), 100 miles south of Grand Rapids, 80 miles Southwest of Kalamazoo, 2 miles East of Lake Michigan. Rainout location: Tramshed's Grandma's Garage, which is larger than my apartment.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2009 11:35      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmm, too bad, I land in Chicago on the 22nd and would only be three hours away from place 1 and 1 hour away from place 2.

your post is unclear on the day, I take it the meet is in the 17th and I am 6 days late.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2009 12:01      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ash: date has yet TBD. Going to be sometime between the 19th and 24th, actually. Sorry I was unclear to that.

The exact date is open to debate, but my vote is for the 23rd.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2009 13:14      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Edit: Apparently I've been up too long today, that Friday works fine, but knowing what time Inf has to be on a plane on Saturday might deter that trip, his flight leaves at 7:11 AM from Metro.

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2009 13:24      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oct. 23 (a friday) would work for me in new buffalo (loc 2), I can drop my wife at teh lighthouse outlet mall at drive up there.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted September 30, 2009 13:30      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well how about that. I have vacation from the 17th to the 23rd!
I'll go anywhere! Though I know New Buffalo is wonderful in
the fall.

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2009 15:04      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SpazGirl:
Edit: Apparently I've been up too long today, that Friday works fine, but knowing what time Inf has to be on a plane on Saturday might deter that trip, his flight leaves at 7:11 AM from Metro.

Bloody hell! Why did he have to schedule a single week from Sat to Sat!?!? I'm comfortable with night driving, so I wouldn't have an issue leaving NB late Friday (say 9PM?) and getting back to Ypsi by Midnight. I'm assuming you and he have made arrangements for you to drive him to the airport? I suppose that could be changed if needed, too.

What about the 22nd? Ash, could you make it *on* the 22nd? What time does your plane touch down? Don't forget about Chicago traffic (and the ever-so-thoughtfully-designed I80/I90/I94 interchange where they all come together and there is a toll booth immediately after the merge). NB is anywhere from a 2 to 4 hour trip from Chicago.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2009 15:53      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm picking him up and taking him back to the airport. We actually had plans with my roommates that Friday night too. Which is why a day meet up in Ypsi may not be such a bad idea, so I don't have to cancel plans that have been in place for two weeks, but if I get outvoted, I get outvoted.

Edit: And if people don't mind the drive this way, why can't it be here? Because there's no way I could do five hours of driving in one day, I'd be messed up for several days after, and I'd really like to see people. We should also really talk to Inf about this too, because I don't know how he feels about being in a car for five hours in a day.

--------------------
Things, and things.

Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2009 16:12      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After 24 hours flying from Melbourne to NY then another 5 or so the next day just getting to Detroit, the thought of lots and lots of driving doesn't have a great deal of appeal.

less travel is better.

--------------------
That which doesn't kill you can only make you stronger. Therefore I am damn near indestructable.

Posts: 153 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2009 16:14      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have fun guys, and take pics for us stuck on the other side of the world. I'd totally come if I were anywhere near.

Have a great trip Infi!

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2009 16:23      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We could meet in Hell (Michigan), if everyone wanted/wouldn't mind a slightly unique outing.

--------------------
Things, and things.

CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2009 21:48      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Infin,

Michigan is a bit of a drive for me, so I hope you have a grand time while you are stateside.

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2009 22:46      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
poo, I can't leave the rock.....

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2009 00:37      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey CommanderShroom,

I'll be in NYC after the week in Michigan if that is any more reasonable for you.

Posts: 153 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2009 00:37      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
quote:
Originally posted by SpazGirl:

Bloody hell! Why did he have to schedule a single week from Sat to Sat!?!? I'm comfortable with night driving, so I wouldn't have an issue leaving NB late Friday (say 9PM?) and getting back to Ypsi by Midnight. I'm assuming you and he have made arrangements for you to drive him to the airport? I suppose that could be changed if needed, too.

What about the 22nd? Ash, could you make it *on* the 22nd? What time does your plane touch down? Don't forget about Chicago traffic (and the ever-so-thoughtfully-designed I80/I90/I94 interchange where they all come together and there is a toll booth immediately after the merge). NB is anywhere from a 2 to 4 hour trip from Chicago.

22nd is reserved for immediate family ( I haven't seen them in three years). B location 1 is too far away. Six hours is too long a drive as I plan to drive 8 hours Saturday and 12 sunday( catching up with old college friends in one big circular drive.)

I guess I am saying it would have been nice, but I understand the drive is too long for others and you all shouldn't change your plans on my account.

If the meet happens to be in New buffallo on friday, I'll be there. If not, oh well. it was just really weird that I was also going to be in the states at the same time. ( probably due to the great prices on intercontinental flghts in October. )

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2009 09:08      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Due to an executive decision on Infi's part: the geek meet will occur at Riverside Park, Ypsilanti, MI on Friday, October 23rd, at around noon(ish).

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2009 18:52      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I saw "Riverside Park", I thought you meant the one true Riverside Park - in NYC [Big Grin]
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2009 19:40      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So is it still on? I'm ready!
Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2009 20:03      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup! The official start time is 12:30.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

Mr. Geek 2U
Alpha Geek
Member # 28663

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2009 17:13      Profile for Mr. Geek 2U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will anybody drive near Kalamazoo?

I am still too sore to drive to Ypsi right now.

OUCH!

Mr. Geek 2U!

--------------------
My friends call me Skippy

Posts: 260 | From: Kalamazoo | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2009 17:24      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I assume there was a cancellation due to rain? [Razz]

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture