homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Buy it or bake it?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Buy it or bake it?
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2009 03:24      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Slate, How cost-effective is it to make homemade pantry staples?

We already make our own bagels (I'm really glad someone else considers them to be a staple) because you can't buy them here, not even a lousy frozen bag of Thomas's. Well... the library cafe does have bagel sandwiches, with pretty decent bagels too, but I have no idea where they get them.

I've been making granola for ages, but I might give that recipe a try. Maple syrup might be a nice flavor. Right now I use a combination of molasses and honey for sweetening.

And Maswan makes jam. I had no idea how easy it was to make. Instead of making large batches, and canning it, we freeze berries and fruit and make small batches fresh.

Definitely want to try making yogurt, too. Especially if it's that easy.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2009 06:08      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had read this article as well. In winter I alwys bake my own brea, though the flour alone is more expensive

If I calculate things with a value for my time, almost nothing is worth making it myself unlsess I can make it better than what you can buy. Which for staples means it is usually cheaper to buy.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
tim-e
Geek Larva
Member # 22073

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 03, 2009 22:16      Profile for tim-e     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mum makes yoghurt all the time, it's a breeze. The recipe can also be easily adapted to make ice cream, too.
Posts: 26 | From: Sydney, AU | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 04, 2009 06:39      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fs: There's not much cooking that I /wouldn't/ expect your or maswan to rock at. [Wink] [Big Grin]

And yes, it's pretty cool just how many things can be made by oneself. Definitely, *ahem*, food for thought. [Big Grin]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
joliet_jane
Alpha Geek
Member # 818

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 04, 2009 22:27      Profile for joliet_jane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The cost of labor has been left conspicuously uncalculated

--------------------
Please Visit http://www.wideweb.com/phonetrips/
And for Phun on the Phone:
http://www.Telephone-Entertainment.com/

Posts: 330 | From: PA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 05, 2009 00:20      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by joliet_jane:
The cost of labor has been left conspicuously uncalculated

If I costed everything I do at my billable hourly rate, I couldn't afford to live.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 05, 2009 05:05      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
__________________ Hi ALL ________________

I am a baked good goods addict "THE FRESHER THE BETTER", who knows how many miles are on that loaf of bread, or how stale that pretty cake.

There is no better high than walking in during the baking of bread.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tom- geeking around

Member # 2876

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 05, 2009 05:38      Profile for Tom- geeking around   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If I costed everything I do at my billable hourly rate, I couldn't afford to live.
That's actually the wrong way.
When you decide to do something else than work, it's not money you need to pay to someone - you only decide to *not* earn money.

You need to consider the opportunity costs.
The Opportunity costs for something is what you have to give up for it in order to get it.

That means, you need to go shopping, bake and then clean. Don't forget to consider the cost of energy and wear on the oven.
All things considered - for me it's more effective to do overtime in the office and pick up a cake on the way home at a bakery I trust.

--------------------
Pizza and ginormous jugs is what I need!

Posts: 374 | From: Vienna | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 05, 2009 10:00      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But then you deprive yourself of the joy of making a cake. No mixing, no folding, no tasting the batter. None of that fresh cake smell in your home. No icing. No chasing the cat away. And so on.

Seeing as I'm not a professional cook, I really can't put that high a price on the time I spend cooking. And even if I could, I'll pay that premium for the control factor. I know what goes into the cakes and breads and soups and other things I make. There are no mystery ingredients. If it's loaded with fat and calories it's because I did that deliberately.

Also, I'm salaried. So I don't get anything extra for more working hours. [Razz]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted June 06, 2009 10:00      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it has been a long time since I baked bread, but I have just made eight portions of Cream of Potato and Vegetable soup and a further six portions of Chilli sans Carne.

That should top-up the freezer nicely. [Smile]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture