homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Waiting is the hardest part... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Waiting is the hardest part...
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2009 18:30      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, I had this interview today, it is for a scholarship, which will pay for my entire next year of school! Which, I could really use, not to mention it is a very prestigious award. So, anyway, they only accept 4 people out of 1500!!! OMG! I had no idea...anyway, I killed the interview and should know something by Friday...wish me luck!!! Cross fingers, toes, and anything else you can for me. GEEK POWER UNITE!!!

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2009 18:32      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck, money sure would help. Esp in the US where you don't have an equivalent of the HECS system like when I was at university.

--------------------
That which doesn't kill you can only make you stronger. Therefore I am damn near indestructable.

Posts: 153 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2009 20:50      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ow! I'm crossing stuff that shouldn't be crossed.

Or something.

Good luck!

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted April 20, 2009 20:54      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck! I've become very aware of the value of scholarships, just when mine was suspended. Get the most out of it [Smile]

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2009 00:34      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck, gg.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2009 14:31      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG!!!!!! I have the BEST news ever!!!!!

Just got an email....they want me back on Monday for a second interview....This is soooo better than sex.....well...

--------------------

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted April 23, 2009 17:41      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay for second interview! [Applause]
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2009 18:03      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
congrats! /me crosses fingers and toes

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2009 18:28      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hooray for the second round!

--------------------
Ugh!

DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted April 23, 2009 19:54      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good job! You must have really impressed them. [thumbsup]

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 23, 2009 23:55      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations!

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 24, 2009 20:50      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck on Monday. I think at this point you should be projecting the image that you won't flake out on them. Anyone can find smart people and give them money, they trick is to find smart people who are going to make good use of it.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted April 25, 2009 09:20      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent news, gg.

The trick now is to work out what it was about you that interested the interviewer(s), and then make sure they see it aplenty in your second interview.
Was it ambition? academic ability? potential to develop? Whatever it was....you have caught their attention and now you have a chance to really convince them.

Best of Luck. [Smile]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2009 12:29      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, interview number two is under my belt. It went ok I guess, It was still an interrogation but I am hoping they saw through to the real me, and not the nervous one that was there today. Anyway, he said I will get an email either way, to either move on to the next round or to thank me for my time...so, back to the waiting game...

--------------------

geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2009 13:39      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK guys...Time for an update....

Got an email today...I made it to round three!!! Surely there can't be much more to this...I am dying!!! But, in a good way:) Woot!!!

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2009 14:22      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woot! [Applause] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

Three rounds? Is this the last?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2009 17:32      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go go go pussycat...

and best of luck

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
tim-e
Geek Larva
Member # 22073

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2009 00:38      Profile for tim-e     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woohoo! Best of luck!

Paying full fees would suck it. At least here in oz we have HELP, which basically puts it on tick and you pay back through the tax system once your income goes over a threshold. I think you pay interest on it these days though.

Posts: 26 | From: Sydney, AU | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2009 04:20      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holy McSweet, goddess, that's awesome!

--------------------
Ugh!

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2009 12:03      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well done so far! [Applause] [Applause]

They are certainly making you work for it....... I hope interviews 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 all go smoothly! [Wink]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 28, 2009 18:47      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the waiting is over...and the recipients of the scholarship awarded....and I am one!!! Woot!!! Feels amazing!!! Never been so proud of myself....yay me!!! Still is disbelief!!!

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 28, 2009 18:50      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
W00t!

I believe tradition dictates you buy beer for everyone and dance naked on the bar. [evil]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted May 28, 2009 19:02      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fan-Frigging-TASTIC! Congrats!

(and Magnificent Valour on your naked dance around the bar. [Big Grin] ) [Applause]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted May 28, 2009 19:22      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats Geekygoddess!

(I was about to say something about spending your money carefully, but since the saying is "a fool and his money are soon parted" but you are obviously not a fool since you made it to the selected few, I guess it's not needed. [crazy] )

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 28, 2009 19:50      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SWACTION!!!!!

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture