homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Life Hacks: Tech Secrets of Overprolific Alpha Geeks

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Life Hacks: Tech Secrets of Overprolific Alpha Geeks
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 19, 2009 13:21      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I came across Cory Doctorow's notes on Life Hacks: Tech Secrets of Overprolific Alpha Geeks while wasting time looking for something that probably wouldn't be productive anyway.

In my todo.txt is actually an item reminding me to fix the script I wrote to back up my important stuff by syncing it to the server.

How about you guys? Anything on that list jump out at you? Any things you do that aren't on the list?

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rednivek

Member # 1148

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2009 09:39      Profile for Rednivek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two things I noted....

1. He is in love with Jamie

2. He says that todo.txt is better than Outlook. I used to think that, but moving from computer to computer throughout the day, some of which couldn't readily SSH (such as certain PDAs, etc) to my ultimate home.... I found my best way to organize was via Outlook. Its always there via Web Outlook and Enterprise Entourage and its always immediately sync'd with my Blackberry. I don't use the Outlook task thing, though. What I do is create a half hour meeting with myself and the subject is the task. This serves multiple purposes: a) I can quickly pop open Outlook and note the new task and give it a priority by placing it in the day i will actually next address it - this can be done at my desk or in hallway "meeting" in seconds, b) it blocks wherever I put it from being available for yet another waste of time meeting, c) the task is easily portable and draggable from day to day if i need it (and then it blocked multiple waste of time meetings in a row), d) i can quickly turn it into a meeting (hahaha) with someone else to discuss it, by just inviting them, e) i can quickly alter the task name/subject with my codes to indicate status, priority, etc, f) people appreciate how busy i am with multiple short tasks and then i can just review my outlook during my 1:1 meeting with my manager to tell him what i did the past week or to gather stuff for an annual review

--------------------
Rednivek - Detroit, Michigan, USA

Posts: 714 | From: Detroit/Windsor | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2009 12:03      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sounds like a really useful system.

I've tried nice systems using Evolution and Kontact, but I think I'm going to be stuck with todo.txt. I don't have the limitation of devices not amenable to ssh and firing up a text editor is just less full of distractions for me than setting up fancy color coded calendars. How about I just not talk about how many hours I've wasted color coding calendars in various organizers and categorizing tasks and customizing views, only to quit using it within a fortnight. It depresses me.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture