homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Waterproof digital cameras, tell your stories, show your pics

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Waterproof digital cameras, tell your stories, show your pics
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted April 05, 2009 10:48      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm checking into waterproof digital cameras to take photos of my underwater adventures. I'm liking the Olympus Stylus Tough 12MP Digital Camera (8000), that would be awesome if someone here has one, and can tell me if they like it.

I'd love to see your underwater photos, come on and share! [Big Grin]

littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2009 12:30      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depending on what you already have, and how much you trust a plastic box, you may be able to buy a waterproof housing for a camera you already have.

It may also be cheaper to buy a normal camera and housing than a waterproof camera.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted April 05, 2009 13:05      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Canon is releasing a waterproof camera on May, so I'd recommend checking reviews of it. Tha camera is the PowerShot D10, it's quite inexpensive and sturdy, it features a 12 MP sensor and 3X optical zoom.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2009 14:49      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_____________________ Nitrozac __ Me wonders if you took a food storage bag, popped the camera into it and zipped it, then hold the camera under water (fish tank) and see how much distortion, the PolyEth. would give and if the camera could still focus.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2009 15:02      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought one of these for my trip to New Zealand last year. It's small, tough, easy to use, and the picture quality is pretty good.

Underwater work wasn't my prime motivation, I just wanted a compact camera that I could take on a trip to the beach without the sand destroying it, but I really like being able to take the camera into the water with me at the beach, I get lots of happy snaps I'd have missed with a normal camera.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2009 17:10      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the the shock proof-ness of the Tough camera, and its ability to take the cold. I've dropped my camera at least once on the asphalt, not as much as my telus cell phone, tho, I dropped it at least 5 times and the fuji camera I had. So far I haven't dropped my iphone, that would be aweful! Sometimes I go through a butter-fingers phase, dropping everything. I dropped my spaghetti dinner on the floor the other night. [cry baby]
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2009 01:21      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One warning on the Tough, it's heavier than water, so if you drop it, it'll sink. Not a great feature for an expensive toy you're going to take into the ocean. I got a longer strap, and threaded it through a hole in a polystyrene ball, just enough to give it positive bouyancy. That paranoia has paid off, twice. I have butter-fingers too.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
CharismaCoach
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 28496

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2009 15:23      Profile for CharismaCoach   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the Olympus 770SW and I love it. I haven't taken that many underwater shots yet with it but I love taking movies and kiteboarding shots with it. It is very durable and takes great shots in and around water and anywhere else. I'm sure the Olympus you like is a great camera too

--------------------
Dan M
TheCharmingGeek - "Dating Decoded"

Posts: 3 | From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture