homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Are you addicted to the net?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Are you addicted to the net?
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 15, 2009 17:59      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, I just took this test, I scored a 57, WOW! I had no idea! Kinda scary!

http://www.netaddiction.com/resources/internet_addiction_test.htm

I guess I need to get out more [Eek!]

P.S. The only reason I picked being on the net rather then spending time with my S.O. is because he is 500 miles away! Ask me that one when I am next to him...

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted February 16, 2009 10:09      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only scored a measly 12!

You are an average on-line user. You may surf the Web a bit too long at times, but you have control over your usage.

It seems that someone thinks I am reasonably well-adjusted [Razz]

edit - I love those addiction questionnaires...... I just can't stop doing them [crazy]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted February 16, 2009 10:17      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As if I need a test to tell me that [crazy]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 16, 2009 11:58      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpySteen:
As if I need a test to tell me that [crazy]

dido

btw

You are an average on-line user. You may surf the Web a bit too long at times, but you have control over your usage.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted February 16, 2009 16:15      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bleh, 25, under control yada yada...

I wonder if my results are skewed by the fact that
the most time I spend with my S.O. is online?

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 16, 2009 18:54      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got 33. Guess I am not as addicted as I thought I was.
Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted February 16, 2009 20:59      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no comment.
Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 11 posted February 17, 2009 01:32      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My name is Richard Wolf, and I'm an Internet addict. Or just got ADHD. You choose. I scored 69 (what a lovely number, isn't it?).

quote:
You are experiencing occasional or frequent problems because of the Internet. You should consider their full impact on your life.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Agburanar
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 27544

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2009 16:14      Profile for Agburanar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of these questions are kind of silly. For instance...

5. How often do others in your life complain to you about the amount of time you spend on-line?

Seeing as how I've recently moved, and my wife is the only person I know outside of work, this question should be answered 'never'. But since we both hang out online all the time, it's not a really good indicator.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2009 16:43      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't dare take such a test for the same reason some people avoid scales. [Razz]

But seriously...I'm not addicted. I'm about to leave my computer for a few hours...and I don't have any sort of Internet-connected mobile.

I'd say I can quit anytime, but actually, Internet usage is a requirement of my job!

*checks e-mail, Google Reader, NYTimes, and /. before heading out the door*

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2009 12:26      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"How often do you fear that life without the Internet would be boring, empty, and joyless?"

With the exception of a few shining beacons (like GC) I'd say that describes the internet these days.

I got 35. A couple years ago it would have been much higher. Now I recognize the internet for the vile cesspit of time-eating soul-sucking apathy (with widgets!) that it has become.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
tim-e
Geek Larva
Member # 22073

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2009 16:16      Profile for tim-e     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got 67. [Cool]

Not bad, seeing as I work for a company that makes the Internet go.

Posts: 26 | From: Sydney, AU | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2009 23:05      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fs:
"How often do you fear that life without the Internet would be boring, empty, and joyless?"

With the exception of a few shining beacons (like GC) I'd say that describes the internet these days.

But... but...
...without the internet, where would you find gems like this ?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted February 23, 2009 08:03      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Originally posted by fs:

But... but...
...without the internet, where would you find gems like this ?

YouTube makes Baby Jesus cry.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted February 23, 2009 23:17      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
YouTube makes Baby Jesus cry.

"U don't think we went to the moon why don't you tell Louis Armstrong to his face"
[Big Grin] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
joliet_jane
Alpha Geek
Member # 818

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2009 10:44      Profile for joliet_jane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got 69, but I would argue that the internet does everything now.

--------------------
Please Visit http://www.wideweb.com/phonetrips/
And for Phun on the Phone:
http://www.Telephone-Entertainment.com/

Posts: 330 | From: PA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted February 24, 2009 13:49      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You only think you're addicted to the internet

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2009 16:40      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow...that's desperate and lame.

I finally bit the bullet and took the test: 37.

Basically, the key part is: I'm not trying to hide my Internet usage, and it's not the be-all-end-all for me. I won't grumble if someone wants to ask me something while I'm reading online, and I won't try to say "I was um...doing my laundry" when asked what I was doing when I was actually surfing the web. Also, I really don't give a flying fsck if I have to be away from my computer/the web for awhile. There are definitely things I like to keep on top of, but it's just not that important. The blue room is pretty cool sometimes. (It's a bit too cold right now!)

With that said, I actually need to do laundry now. [Razz]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
MCDilly
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 27680

Icon 1 posted February 26, 2009 23:18      Profile for MCDilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I am SOOO under control [Smile]

Posts: 2 | From: Ottawa | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2009 11:25      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
42 FTW!

Average user? Me? Who'd a thunk it! =)

Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture