homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Severe Ember Attack (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Severe Ember Attack
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 07, 2009 03:12      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fsck I hate that phrase.
Means it's raining fire.

We had the hottest day on record today, 46.4°C (116°F), and high winds, which means every psychopath with a box of matches was out in the bush lighting fires.

Much of the state is ablaze, and the small country town my mother retired to is experiencing, in the words of the Country Fire Authority, Severe Ember Attack. I'd go and get mum now, but I can't get there, all the roads to the town are cut by the fires.

Meanwhile, mum's playing host to a couple of junior refugees, friends dropped their kids off this afternoon, then went back to defend their home from the fire. Those kids may never see their parents again.

And here I sit at my computer, surfing the web and feeling totally useless.

Fsck.

FSCK.

FSCK!

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 07, 2009 03:23      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_____________ The Famous Druid __ That sucks,

I am going to plead with the Higher Deity that all turns out well with your mum.

Grass and plains fires fire create their own micro climate as they travel, making their defense very difficult.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2009 03:51      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TFD - I hadn't about the bush fires. It sounds pretty worrying.

If it is any comfort, when there is a large scale threat like this, sitting around feeling useless is often the right thing to do. People who think they can just rush out and extinguish the flames usually end up dead.

I hope you and yours all come through safely.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 07, 2009 05:45      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bad news
More bad news

The good news, for Clan McDruid, is that a change of wind has taken the fire away from mums town, but that's gunna be bad news for some other poor sod.

-

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 07, 2009 06:22      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_______________________ The Famous Druid ________ For what it is worth here on the hilltop we have faced a grass or plains fire and that is what it looked like as it was coming up the hill until it reached my exclusion zone fire breaks. The local fire company pulled into the field and got their truck stuck, however my tractor and a large chain pulled it back out of the way. The noise is horrific and scary as all get out. Then when it hits the exclusion zones it gets so quiet that, that in its self is scary.

When we get a call out from the National Forest Service I try to be the dispatcher or net control, I don't want to be on the front line any more, I am afraid I would not be able to move fast enough to get out of the way.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 07, 2009 22:19      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
65 dead. [Frown]

They haven't got in to some of the worst-hit areas yet. When they do, that number is sure to rise.

--------------------

Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 07, 2009 23:31      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is horrible, I'm lucky enough to be living in a part of victoria that hasn't been affected. Perhaps Mr. Druid there are volunteer services you can volunteer for if you want to be able to help, I think I might be finding my way to the nearest SES headquarters to see if I can help out with my prior experience as an SES volunteer.
Posts: 153 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2009 01:31      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
______________ My condolences to all.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted February 08, 2009 10:29      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Terrible news. [Frown]

We had a similar situation, although on a much smaller scale, in the Okanagan Valley a few years back. I hope your mom and her home continue to be OK.

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2009 11:46      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
108 [Frown] [Eek!]

The roads to mums town are open again, but she won't budge. She says the fire has moved away from her now, so there's no need. I say a change in the wind would take the fire to her quicker than I could drive the 120km to get her.

Old people can be stubborn.

--------------------

Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2009 17:10      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's awful, Druid.

Heat. Fire. Sounds like Hell.

I wish the best for you and your Mum.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 09, 2009 14:04      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it took the news that a friends brother has been found dead in the wreckage of his home, but mum's agreed to evacuate.

My brother is on his way to collect her now.

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2009 17:04      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's sad that it took someone's death to convince her of the danger, but it's good that she's agreed to leave for safer ground. Hopefully you'll all be safe now.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 09, 2009 17:11      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good news Druid. I'm hoping and praying that the horrible news coming from your end of the planet improves, and very soon. All the best.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 09, 2009 21:40      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if anyone on any of the commonwealth governments has considered this.

Here on the Isle of NitroSnag, we have the equipment for hire. The birds will stomp out that fire....

http://www.martinmars.com/firefighting.htm

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2009 04:32      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting:
quote:

Whether your problem is in the timberlands of British Columbia, the brush of Australia, the rainforests of Southeast Asia or the dreaded urban/rural interface fires anywhere, Coulson Flying Tankers is ready, willing and able to respond to your needs. In the case of interface fires our experience has clearly indicated the outstanding results of dropping massive amounts of foam in a short period of time to save buildings, homes, improvements and possibly human life.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2009 04:35      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by macmcseboy:
I don't know if anyone on any of the commonwealth governments has considered this.

Here on the Isle of NitroSnag, we have the equipment for hire. The birds will stomp out that fire....

http://www.martinmars.com/firefighting.htm

I suspect there's a logistics problem in that most of the fires are far enough away from suitable bodies of water that a flying boat can use to make water bombing impractical.

Hopefully the worst of it has passed this year and the death toll doesn't rise.

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2009 08:11      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FOAM retardant and other stuff Zwilnik. Water is not the only fire quencher. I have seen these guys drop more than just water. This can be done and I ashamed at my own governments for not offering even one of them up.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted February 10, 2009 08:25      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my perfect Canada, the Canadian government would buy those Martin Mars up, paint a big fracking maple leaf on them, then offer them at a moment's notice to anyone who needed them.

As it is right now, in the hands of a private company, they wait too long to send them. I guess the cheque has to clear first. [shake head]

Nitrozac and I have seen these mighty beasts a couple of times fighting fires in BC... once they spend the afternoon flying and re-tanking just outside our door... they are incredible.

-

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2009 09:22      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as I know, the Canadian governement and some other public institutions have some Bombardier 415 that they do lend/loan in cases of need. I believe Canada had sent some for California's fires. And I believe there are some tha can work with seawater (they need modification to avoid rusting due to hight salt concentrations). And I know Quebec does loan some of its firefighting aircrafts in winter.

Now, with the price of operating those birds, I'm pretty sure nobody would just lend them freely, but I'm sure governemental owners could send them in then wait a few days/months to get paid. But they wouldn't send them without being asked/proposed first, and then it could take a few days to get through politician approval (from both side). So who knows, maybe you'll get some help before the end of the week?

Hmmm... Too little water in the south, too much in the north... Mother Nature sure has mixed-up her australian deliveries!

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2009 09:59      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They look great, but I suspect we'd have had to order them about 2 weeks ago.

We do have some of these...
 -
which only carry 1/3 the load, but can re-fill in ponds far too small for those flying boats.
They've been very effective, we just needed 50 more of them.

Meanwhile, mum's here at Casa del Druid now, driving me crazy as usual. A couple of days of this, and I may have to run away from home. [Wink]

--------------------

Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2009 10:04      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to add a small silverlining to all the bad news, a koala was helped out by a firefighter (the story is all around, but I found the image too cute not to pass it on).

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2009 12:07      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reason I say the government should offer at least one is that one of the two has an ongoing contract with the BC Ministry of Forests. Which can be dispatched by The evil Stephen Harper (GWB Jr) or BC Premier Gordon Campbell (Olympic overspending overlord). The gesture would earn major political points.... and Help of some folks in need too

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2009 18:54      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Druid,

I know I'm glad to see you have a good reason again for being your grumpy old self.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2009 19:18      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Colonel Panic:
I know I'm glad to see you have a good reason again for being your grumpy old self.

Since when did I need a reason?

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture