homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » 43 44 45

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 43 44 45
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2009 21:19      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's the 3-day weather report for Melbourne.

For the Fahrenheitafarians in the audience, that's 110°F, 112°F, 113°F.

Even at night, there's been little relief, with temperatures in the 30's (high 80's F) for most of the night. I haven't had a proper nights sleep all week.

I'm hot as hell and I'm not going to take it any more!

As the guy on the radio said, weather like this is why we aussies don't allow handguns.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2009 01:17      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Strewth!

Hope the VBs are keeping in the esky. Is it the season for things that kill you in the sea? I think I'd just go there and float all day. Either that, or go hang out at the mall in the shop with the best A/C.

Mind you, a friend of mine ran a half marathon in 35 C heat when he served in Iraq, but then he is daft.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2009 02:25      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____________ The Famous Druid __ WOW, Here at 44 North and 83 West. We have the converse. So far we have had a normal winters worth of snow and we still have two more months of winter. we have set record lows more then twice this winter. CP, Halfvast and myself are some what envious.

So maybe this Global Warming thing is doing the wild weather extremes? Or are we in a wild ride part of the curve, I mean as humans, how long have we been keeping weather records. (actual measurments)

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2009 01:21      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And don't even get me started on the humidity, and to think my friends in Launceston are bitching about a single 40C day they got [Razz]

--------------------
That which doesn't kill you can only make you stronger. Therefore I am damn near indestructable.

Posts: 153 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2009 02:58      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After a brave above-and-beyond-the-call-of-duty struggle, my fridge died today. [Frown]

Oh well, at least they're tipping a reasonable (29 C) day tomorrow.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2009 03:34      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_________________ The Famous Druid __ Well I am happy to hear you are supposed to get a small reprive. Temps. on each end of the scale are rough on equipment and humans. Sorry about the beer cooler. Here at the Hill-top we have burned more propane than any other winter, and we still have two more months of needing heat. I am looking at getting a Geothermal heat pump as the cost of propane is not competative with heat pumps. We have been running resister heating to lesson the load on the furnace,

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2009 04:50      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
Temps. on each end of the scale are rough on equipment and humans.

Driving home on Friday, the traffic report on the radio was warning that 40 sets of traffic lights had failed because of the hot weather. A few minutes later, I drove through one of those intersections, and saw 2 cops in their bright yellow reflective vests directing traffic with one hand and clutching a large bottle of water in the other. In heat that had killed the traffic lights.

I don't think I've ever felt more sympathy for cops.

--------------------

Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2009 14:28      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trafic lights are nothing, the entirety of Geelongs power grid packed it in a couple of days ago. I'm hoping it settles down soon as this is somewhat worrysome.
Posts: 153 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2009 14:32      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AUGH! I once experienced 39 Celsius in Madrid and thought I was going to melt into goo... but the 40s?!??! I feel warm just reading this post (and not for good reasons)...

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2009 15:39      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went X-C skiing yesterday and today. Yesterday it was -1C. Today it was +1C.

I've been in that kind of heat riding in the desert in Arizona and California. I remember riding during the day and wearing a white-long-sleeve T to keep the heat off. I kept a 2-liter bottle of water between my legs to stay hydrated and keep the boys cool.

I stopped for water and gas and measured my pulse at 185 bpm.

That heat is a killer.

Druid, right now I prefer the refreshing chill of a Lake Michigan breeze right at 0C, the cool, refreshing smell of a pine forest, and the breezy feel of sliding down a hill covered in 24" of crisp, cool snow. Can't you imagine that right now?

I could bottle the cool and send it to you.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2009 23:02      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh dear, this 120 metre, $100 million ferris wheel only opened for business 6 weeks ago...
 -

On Friday, it buckled and cracked in the heat, and has been closed indefinitely while engineers work out how/if it can be fixed.

/me suspects this will keep teams of lawyers gainfully employed through the recession.

--------------------

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2009 16:47      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, hang in there TFD, and think cool thoughts. I know how miserable those kinds of temperatures are from many years of experience here in the Central Valley. It'll be my turn to sweat and toss and turn at nights in a matter of months, though I hope we can avoid a heat wave like yours this year.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2009 20:57      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like a nice summer day in Vegas to me. =P
Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture