homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » How Long?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How Long?
Mac Geek
Geek-in-Training
Member # 25023

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2009 04:45      Profile for Mac Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When did you get your 'apple product' and become Assimilated? mine was 1979 with a Apple ][ - and I never looked back..

Jonathan

--------------------
Mac Geek Member # 25023
"I am not a Number, I am a FREE MAN"

Posts: 33 | From: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2009 05:41      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
________________________ Mac Geek __ 1994 I bought a Performa 630 CD really a cheapened Quadra. Then a pair of iMacs and then a Umax Super Mac with the 604. Then I got gifted an old Quadra 650 runs OS7.5 well and I kept our rental houses info on it. As the iMacs started to turn south and not work well I started to dabble with various Linux distros and beige boxes.

I have come to the conclusion that Steve & Steve are the real inventors for home and home office. All of the rest copy the good stuff and try to claim innovation.

So now I have three PC's two of them I dual boot with thumb drives and or live CDs with various Linux OSs and ham software, it seems some ham stuff runs better on some distros than others. The one Dell I keep Winblows on because no one has made a better SSTV codex than MMSSTV. Fldigi runs best on Puppy, and gMFSK runs best on Knoppix. I am a fan of Fedora and Ubuntu but they have become bloated just like Winblows.

That all said I really like the Mac GUI and the app colorsync as it happily corrects color shift on digital cameras. When over loaded by bright sunlight.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2009 05:57      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish I still had my apple ][c.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2009 07:18      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am and always have been a PC man, but I was first introduced to Apple in primary school (so early 90's). Used them on and off at university since then.

I currently own a 30GB iPod and I'm deciding on whether to get an iPhone when I upgrade my phone in February.

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2009 09:11      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first computer was a Mac II. Ah, 16.667 MHz and 2MB of RAM. It did *not* have the 6881 Paged Memory Management Unit (PMMU) upgrade, but I never missed it. Since then I owned about 20 Macs, most of them acquired from other people or schools that didn't want them anymore, from an SE, through a few Quadras, Performas, and a handful of Power Macs; including the PowerMac G3 that was a stock 233MHz that I overclocked to 295Mhz... whoah, that was fast...

I have since pushed away the Kool-Aid and become a Linux guy; now I drink open source fruit-flavored punch-like drink. [Razz] Gosh, I've been using some version of Linux as my primary OS for.. *counts on fingers* 5 or 6 years now! <M2K2>Wow, groovy, man! [Beard of Peter Gabriel!] </M2K2>

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2009 11:48      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was introduced to Apple computers in elementary school. Yes, I remember Oregon Trail. In Junior High we had a programming course (BASIC) in an all Apple lab (I believe Apple II/e's), but oddly for someone who eventually earned a living as a software developer I didn't get it.

Anyway, the male parental unit, being an electrical engineer, would bring home cast off PC's. So, my first computer was a 286. I thought the 486 @ 33MHz was blazing fast.

The first computer that I bought for myself was a Sony VAIO, I believe the PCV 70 running at a blazing 166 MHz (Pentium I) with a whopping 32 MB of RAM, later max'd out to 128 MB.

Our first Mac, though, was really Mrs Tweety's Mac G4 @ 400 MHz running OS 8.6. The machine was bought right after it was intro'd, about 2 weeks before the "speed dump heard 'round the world." So, yes, ours is the AGP Graphics (Sawtooth) version. We still have it in its original packaging, along with the puck mouse and keyboard.

The next Macs we purchased are our current G4 minis (1.42 GHz and 1.5 Ghz). We've been all Mac all the time since my POS HP PC finally died for the last time back in late '05 (that machine is whole topic unto itself).

After years and years of abuse from PC hardware and Windows I refuse to go back to Windows. Not even the allure of Linux can bring me back (I've done my fair share of Linux using/hacking).

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2009 14:33      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I owned a PPC Mac tower for a while. But I don't think that counts since I instantly installed Ubuntu and then Debian.

But it looked purty.

Later this year I may have a couple of Mini's around here for software testing.

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2009 18:07      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend of mine was running his business on an Apple ][ back in '77.

I was a broke student. I couldn't afford one then. I did take a class in BASIC in 1978.

First computer I worked on was a WANG word processor in 1982. It used floppy discs the size of frisbees.

First computer I bought was a Tandy 1000 with 384K of ram and two 5-1/4" floppy drives. Bought it in 1984 so the ex could write her doctoral thesis. I kept it after the divorce and used the machine into the mid nineties. I had a share-ware word processor on it and an early version of quicken for the bills. Used it until 1996

Next computer was a Tandy 100 laptop. Bought that in 1986. I made a lot of money doing freelance writing on that machine.

My first Mac was a cast-off Quadra AV I bought for $25 in 1996.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2009 18:23      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
....errrr....August 2002 I think it was. We'd had a hand-me-down 386 which I upped to 16Mb RAM and then we bought a generic PC tower thing to replace it, but the tower PC was obsolete pretty much as soon as we got it home from the store.

So I took out a loan and bought a 15" G4 iMac running OS X 10.1.4. To this day, simply the prettiest computer ever. OS X 10.1.4 was a complete dog, as I am sure many of you will remember, but it was still much more engaging than the Win98 system we had left behind. When we hit OS X 10.2.9, we had reached computing heaven.

About a year ago I got a 24" Intel iMac which I love to bits, and we gave the G4 away to Mrs Grummash's best friend. I would have kept the G4, but the best friend had wanted a Mac for many years, so we had to do the decent thing.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
tim-e
Geek Larva
Member # 22073

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 13, 2009 20:36      Profile for tim-e     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apple ][+ in 1982.
Posts: 26 | From: Sydney, AU | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2009 20:54      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
the best friend had wanted a Mac for many years, so we had to do the decent thing.

You put your best friend to sleep because he coveted your flower pot?

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2009 21:27      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first exposure to Apple was in grade school (late 80's, early 90's). The teachers took us to the computer lab and we played Oregon Trail and Carmen San Diego games on Apple IIe's. They started letting us use Macs on special occasions in the fifth and sixth grade. I was very excited about the mouse. My parents had a PC at home so I grew up using Apples at school and DOS and eventually Windows at home. I bought a PC for college but still ended up using Macs for various reasons on campus. When I started grad school, the department and my lab were both very Mac-biased (and not without good reason) and because of the work I did/do I also found myself using SGIs as well. Eventually, the SGIs were replaced with Macs - OSX is *nix with lots and lots of shiny and all our software for solving, building, and refining structures is *nix based. I began to see the proverbial light and understand the holy OS wars. And my PC started to show its age. Last May, it was taking a voodoo dance just to get the thing started. I knew I had to replace it - the poor thing was eight years old anyway and I was going to need something with a bit more pep to do all the writing and figure-making (especially figure-making) for my thesis. By then, Vista had come out and MS insisted that all new machines come pre-installed with it and I just didn't want to deal with that shit. I haven't heard anything good about Vista and it's left a weird taste in my mouth when I've used my parents' computer. So I bought a 13" Macbook last May and became fully assimilated. Wrote my thesis on this baby. All 260+ pages and 40+ figures.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2009 10:20      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Colonel Panic:
First computer I worked on was a WANG word processor in 1982. It used floppy discs the size of frisbees.

He said WANG.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture