homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Hi guys, long time... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Hi guys, long time...
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2009 20:13      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, it's been a long, long time since I posted anything here. I do still lurk about from time to time as anyone who looks at the recent visitors will see, and get a laugh from JoT.

Anyway, I'm desperate for a bit of help and I'm trying everything I can think of...

Some of you may remember Crimson who was a member here for a while. Some of you (where's that soviet bloke? [Razz] ) may also recall that she and I hit it off pretty well. Well we're still friends. Much more than that actually. We were starting to plan a trip for her down here to see how things might turn out.

In the couple of weeks before Christmas, however, everything got turned on it's head. She's been out of a job for a while and didn't get one she'd been pinning a lot of hopes on. Now Crimson is homeless. In Detroit in winter no less.

Since becoming homeless Crimson has been assaulted by a pimp trying to recruit her resulting in a broken arm. A week ago four guys tried to rape her and were only prevented by some kind passers by. After finally giving in to exhaustion and falling asleep she had her laptop stolen. The library where she was trying to stay warm for at least part of the day has said she can't come in any more because other homeless people have been trashing the toilets. To top it all off, she got found collapsed by police officers, taken to the hospital, and diagnosed with pneumonia and the first signs of frostbite on her hands and feet. Of course she can't get treated because she has no insurance and no money.

Her friend and I are doing our best to help her as much as we can. Unfortunately neither of us can help enough.

This is so hard to ask, and she will no doubt say she's going to kill me for asking for help. She hasn't got any other choice though. I've even emailed the Oprah show...

It's a long shot, I know but if anyone in the Detroit/Michigan area, or even close interstate/Canada could help in any way with shelter or finding a job for Crimson we'll both owe you so so much. She's so important to me and not being able to help more is so very painful.

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2009 00:54      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, I hate to sound like 'Captain Paranoid' but...

Pretty young woman befriends geek on the internet, romance blossoms, there's talk of her travelling half-way around the world to be with him - and then disaster strikes. Suddenly she's a damsel in distress, desperately needing a knight in shining armour to come to her rescue. If only someone could send her a few dollars to pay for her medical treatment, and get her away from the pimps and rapists...

Sounds like a classic internet scam.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2009 03:56      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How are you contacting her now, if she is without phone or laptop? Damn, I have known people to run into some bad luck, but, this is nuts! I hope she gets help! Why can't you go pick her up?

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2009 04:41      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She's not a scam Druid. She's very unlucky and her family treats her like utter crap. I've had the great displeasure of conversing with her aunt and it's something I never want to do again. Her parents hate her and don't care if she dies or not.

Geeky, she instant messaged me about three weeks ago from the library. That's the last I've had contact with her. All the updates are coming from her friend who sees her about once a week if that. I can't go and pick her up because I can't afford to fly over there, let alone buy her a ticket too. I wish I could do that.

Apparently she's gone into ICU overnight.

--------------------

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2009 05:32      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe I am too much of a cynic, but this also sounds like a scam to me. I, however, would never advise a person to not try to help another in need. Look up online help organizations in Detroit, there must be many of them. Try to pass along this information where she can go for help. Some places may help with staying out of the cold, others with finding a job. You can do this because you can surf the internet much easier than she and if you want even Skype these places to talk to someone and find out more information. If she says a place cannot help her find another online. If she has a reason ALL cannot help her I would lean towards a scam being the explanation why.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2009 06:36      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My scam alert antennas are fully up on this one too AJ. I remember
Crimson, she gave her location at the time as Clinton Township
which is right next door to me. Now pimps aren't exactly
roaming the streets here, or anywhere around here for that matter.
So unless she's moved down into the D or is hanging out in drug
houses it all sounds unlikely. I've heard similar stories from
employees moving through here, the story usually changes every
day with those people. I also remember her saying something
about having family up towards Croswell, where are they now?
Are they unwilling to help a relative in need?

Sigh... If you want to, PM me with some specifics. Maybe, just
maybe, no guarantees, I can do some leg work and find out
what's up. I can at least help you figure if the story is bogus
or has a possibility of being true.

Why do I have a feeling I'm going to regret this?

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2009 10:15      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Astronomer Jedi:
She's not a scam Druid. She's very unlucky and her family treats her like utter crap. I've had the great displeasure of conversing with her aunt and it's something I never want to do again. Her parents hate her and don't care if she dies or not.

I find this part fishy as well. When family members don't even care what happens to her, it is an indicator that she's screwed them over enough times to cause them to give up. It's still possible she's the innocent victim of circumstance, but it's not likely.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2009 14:16      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AJ - sorry to join the doom-mongers, but I too have grave doubts about this situation.

I understand that you want to help someone you feel you have grown to know, but how much do you really know about this person? I hope I am wrong and you don't get the seemingly inevitable question..... "Is there a Western Union office near you, honey?"

Let me play Devil's advocate and crystallise the cynical point of view for you - can you really be sure this person is even female?

I hope this situation works out ok for you, I really do. Good luck.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2009 14:50      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AJ – All doubts aside, wish I could help, but I'm staring down the barrel of the "No-Good-Times" gun myself.

I have to side with the "she must have royally screwed the pooch with her family for them to completely disown her" thought, knowing my own family dynamics. Still, it's not without the realm of possibility.

I'm also going to go out on a limb and say that, yes, utter catastrophe could befall a completely innocent person. Though, timing is suspect in this case.

This is a difficult one, and I hope you understand everyone's skepticism. Take this from someone who's been burned themselves before. With that in mind the best I can do right now is say, "Go with Ashitaka and HalfVast. See what you can dig up in way of social services and PM HalfVast and see if he can help."

That way, if you do find her help and she refuses, then you know something's not right and can walk away without guilt.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2009 06:43      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
24 Hours later. Anything?

Guy on the spot here.

Damsel in distress, right?

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2009 11:20      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a librarian I thought I'd dig in some of my resources

Cass offers shelter services in the Detroit area
http://casscommunity.org/services/homeless_services

Hud also has a resource page
http://www.hud.gov/local/mi/homeless/detshelter.cfm

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2009 11:55      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hospitals also staff social workers.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2009 05:17      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_______________________ Astronomer Jedi __ Time to let the pros in. Most of the people on this forum have the best interests of You and Crimson at heart. That said, Salvation Army, Red Cross, Catholic Soup Kitchens, Rescue missions. She has to reach out to them, you can not rescue someone that does not want to be saved, Plus you are trying to do this from afar.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2009 15:51      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unemployment, homelessness, Detroit, repo man, evil pimp, Detroit, gang of rapists, stolen laptop, frostbite, no medical care, did I mention Detroit? I need to write a book with her as the main character, bet I'll make a killing selling it to all the emo kids. HalfVast, why don't you try to find out if any of it really happened, I'll gladly throw in $100 towards a DTT to PER flight if even half* of it is true.

*only if the evil pimp in Detroit part actually happened.

Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2009 20:14      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anything new AJ?

No PM so far ZSR so I guess our negative vibes drove them off. I'm time limited as it is.
I'm off work next week and Friday after work I'm headed down to Cincinnati to meet my S.O. so I
wouldn't be able to brush the trenchcoat and fedora off until Tuesday anyway.

And save your money. I'd write that book myself... [Razz]

Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2009 21:34      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apologies for the delay in replying, and thanks all for the responses. I'm not scared off, just busy with 10 million other things too. Plus I needed to proof read this epic.

Um, where to start...

I understand the skepticism. I've been through lots of this with my friends and family around me. I have photos (of injuries too...I'm not sure I want to see a picture inside the mouth of someone with bronchitis ever again), I have copies of student ID, driver's licence, social security, birth certificate extract, bank account, other medical bills. You name it I've got it. Unfortunately no DNA [Razz]

Grum: she's definitely female.

Sxepto: as short as possible...her father is a well off commercial lawyer who divorced her mother for his 20-something mistress. Her mother is an alcoholic, recently arrested for DUI. The mother also lives solely off alimony and has no job. One aunt is a complete nutter. Before November her other aunt was ok, but when Crimson went to a family funeral in Montreal she found out when she got there that her mother and the crazy aunt has poisoned the rest of the family against her telling everyone she was on drugs and prostituting herself out.

HalfVast: Yeah she used to live on Mt Clemens St (not worried about addresses since no one lives there any more) She moved to live with her friend in Dearborn/Detroit after her mother kicked her out for no reason. Thank you for the offer of checking things out. I'll have to cogitate on that and I will get back to you.

MoMan: Thanks dude, that's why I posted here after being absent for so long. I know everyone here has a good heart, especially for fellow geeks. She's told me that she's looked into all the shelters she can find from her nurse friend's list and they are all either full or have qualification before you can use them. I did my own search and found around 50 places in SE Michigan which I sent to her. I haven't contacted any myself but I think I will do that now.

And ZSR, old buddy, old pal...I'd appreciate some royalties, or a dedication at the least.

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2009 03:05      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_______________________ AJ __ If she can prove she is one/eighth Native American, and Chipawaw have her go to Mount Pleasant and apply for aid there. If her relatives were from Saginaw Bay area go to Standish and apply at Sagining tribal head quarters.

Indian welfare is better than the US and once on it you can not get US or you lose the Indian benifits. Lots of the local indians have nice houses and trucks.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2009 03:51      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Half German half French I'm afraid Mo. Thanks for the idea though.

--------------------

fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2009 05:54      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with the chorus. This seems fishy. She's not the same one that had breast cancer and lived in abandoned gas station (with broadband) is she?

I don't get the family situation at all. So the mom and Aunt #1 have poisoned Aunt #2 against her for no reason? But Aunt #2 is otherwise sane and reasonable? And she doesn't call Aunt #2 and say "Look, I know what they told you, but it's not true. I need help, I'm homeless and freezing with pneumonia and was beaten and nearly raped. Can I stay with you?" because sane reasonable Aunt #2 is just going to say "No, freeze to death in the streets, you junkie whore!"

And she doesn't call her Dad because... he also believes her alcoholic mom, who is apparently living off his alimony?

I understand that people have screwed up families, but there are two sides to the story, and I'm having trouble believing that she just woke up one day and her mother had decided to throw her out for no reason and make up stories to tell the relatives. She may not be telling you the reason, but she knows what it is. And seriously, if she can't get help through the system, she needs to swallow her pride and ask her family for it.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2009 06:26      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fs: Don't knock my ex-fiancée...I'm still heartbroken. [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2009 07:27      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AJ, there is no Mount Clemens street. There is the city of Mount Clemens but no street with that name here or in Clinton Township.
There is a Clemens Street in Mount Clemens, that's in an area that is all assisted housing and it would have put her within 4 blocks
of where I live.

Another downer. I've heard nearly that exact same story 7 or 8 times in the last 10 years, only the names change. A series of
unfortunate events combined with poisonous relatives. It always turns out to be untrue. It also turns out the person telling it has a
drug/alcohol/gambling problem that they refuse to deal with. Just my bitter cynical experience.

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2009 10:32      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HalfVast:
Another downer. I've heard nearly that exact same story 7 or 8 times in the last 10 years, only the names change. A series of
unfortunate events combined with poisonous relatives. It always turns out to be untrue. It also turns out the person telling it has a
drug/alcohol/gambling problem that they refuse to deal with. Just my bitter cynical experience.

Same experience here. When the whole family has believed a member was a drug addict, it's always been because they were a drug addict. I've also heard the same complaints about how certain family members turned the rest against them.

Getting extremely sick, injuries from assaults, and losing valuables have all been part of the same story, too.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2009 10:48      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____________________ A. J. __ Just a fill in. My Ex really turned my daughters against me, that said if either girl came to me or got word to me, I would again walk through the fires of hell to help them. So if you know the family name and want to piss Crimson off, get a message to DADDY. You do not know how strong the DADDY Daughter bond can be. I have been to hell and back and the only thing that would cause me to go back is one of my own needing help.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2009 17:19      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HalfVast:
AJ, there is no Mount Clemens street. There is the city of Mount Clemens but no street with that name here or in Clinton Township.
There is a Clemens Street in Mount Clemens, that's in an area that is all assisted housing and it would have put her within 4 blocks
of where I live.

My bad, it is Clemens St where she used to live. In between Boehme and Orchard.

--------------------

HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2009 20:43      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
AJ wrote:
My bad, it is Clemens St where she used to live. In between Boehme and Orchard.

Curiouser and curiouser. That would mean she lived two blocks down the street from me when she
started posting.

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture