homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » If it aint broke, don't fix it!!! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: If it aint broke, don't fix it!!!
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2009 11:53      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:

*sigh*... this is why I stopped taping the chart show off the radio when I was twelve [Razz]

I used to do that... I even pirated "Do They Know It's Christmas" off the radio... which I'll probably go to Hell for... [Smile]
Spungo,

If that's the reason you are going to Hell, then you just aren't trying hard enough.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dajt
Mini Geek
Member # 627

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2009 08:11      Profile for dajt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always thought that the Bobs did some amazing covers, but maybe I just have odd taste in music.

--------------------
We've succeeded when a Linux release is front page news.

Posts: 98 | From: Boston MA USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2009 12:31      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just when I thought I had seen all the ideas you can bring to bear on a cover version.......

This comes along! [Eek!] [Eek!]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
calenril
Maximum Newbie
Member # 695

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted January 07, 2009 13:36      Profile for calenril     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Istanbul (Not Constantinople), is one of my favorite They Might Be Giants songs, but it is actually a cover, the song having been written a good 50 years ago.

Let's not forget Tapestry, the great album by Carol King. She wrote many of those songs for others before she made her own record of them. When you think of You've Got A Friend, do you hear Carol King or James Taylor? Some songs are just too good to have just one correct version.

But, there are many songs that do have a definitive version, or some artist that redefines them for a new generation. Then, I am often very disappointed (or annoyed) to hear a lesser recording. I think the original comment about bad covers of songs is more about poor performances. I find it very frustrating to hear a band try to gain credibility or generate interest by covering a great song that they cannot do well.

I do not hold such standards to live music, though. The phrase, "Jazz Standard" comes mind.

--------------------
"Come on, it'll be neat!"

Posts: 10 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2009 00:17      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
Just when I thought I had seen all the ideas you can bring to bear on a cover version.......

My, I'm going to see Maiden on March [Big Grin]
I hoped I would pick up my commemorative VIP ticket today, but I'll have to wait til the 10th [cry baby] I'm so excited about this concert!

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
CW Smith
Geek Apprentice
Member # 12150

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2009 05:48      Profile for CW Smith   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes the cover *is* the "original." Case in point: "Crazy" by Patsy Cline. The "original" version was Willie Nelson's demo, which was only released on a CD box set decades later. The commonly-known recording by Patsy was a cover of that demo.

Early on in the industry, the common practice was that composers wrote, and performers recorded, and only rarely would the composer record. Up until Buddy Holly and The Beatles turned the practice on its ear, most recording artists did not write their own music.

I like covers that do justice to the original (applying new recording techniques to a classic arrangement), and I also like covers that take a fresh new look. I've heard great cover songs, and I've heard terrible ones. I judge each on its own merits (or lack thereof).

Posts: 42 | From: Des Moines, IA USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2009 14:09      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:

Whoa!!! That friggin' rox!!!
Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture