homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » If it aint broke, don't fix it!!! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: If it aint broke, don't fix it!!!
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2009 16:57      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ughhh!! So, I heard this song today, and it was a cover from one of my favorite bands (Snow Patrol) anyway this person jacked it all up! I just get so frustrated by artists covering songs. I can't think of a single song where a cover was better than the original. Can you?

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2009 17:13      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Janis Joplin's cover of "Me and Bobby McGee". Roger Miller had a hit with it in 1969. But Janis's version is the classic.

Beatles cover of "Twist and Shout".

ELOs cover of "Roll Over Beethoven".

Jimi Hendrix cover of Boby Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower".

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2009 17:21      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't decide who did Man Who Sold the World better, David Bowie or Kurt Cobain.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2009 17:41      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cash's Hurt. Sorry if that hurts Trent.

(Xan... Bowie does a better version [Smile] but it was brilliant of Kurt to cover it.)

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2009 17:55      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ughhh, Snags!
Trent rocked that song, but I do agree with you on Bowie:)

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2009 20:27      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love many cover songs, but I also love the original version too. I will admit though there have been many songs where I've heard the cover version before the original.

If someone does a cover I prefer it to be different and unique from the original. If you're going to do a straight cover of the song save it for the karaoke bar.

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2009 21:18      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to say U2's cover of All Along the Watchtower with BB King was pretty darn good. But, I'd have to say it was BB King who made that cover work.

Cash's Hurt was also very, very good, but think I prefer the original.

The best covers are those that are true to the cover artist's voice, not just remakes or experimental do overs. Of course, that's also not 100% true. Rather, I find it a good rule of thumb.

Personally, I find almost all Pink Floyd covers offensive to the point of heresy. But, Fred Durst's cover of Wish You Were Here was probably the best cover of that song I've heard.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2009 23:02      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A good cover version is a marvelous thing. Cash's version of 'Hurt' was brilliant and much , much better than the original.

Other brilliant cover versions include: Yes - 'America', William Shatner - 'Common People', The White Stripes - 'Jolene', Kathryn Williams - 'All Apologies', The Ukranians - Spivaye Solovey(What Difference does it make?).....

I could go on and on... I love cover versions. [Big Grin]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2009 23:12      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff Buckley does an awesome Hallelujah. So does Rufus Wainwright for that matter. But perhaps this is unfair because while Leonard Cohen writes great songs his voice is meh.

ETA: if it's the same artist but he's doing his own song different, does that count as a cover? 'Cuz the recorded version I have of Dylan's Blowing in the Wind is NOT the version he played at Red Rocks last year (or was that 2007?). And he's doing Masters of War differently now too - he's older now and while he's still mad as hell when he sings it it's got a different edge.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2009 23:32      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
I could go on and on... I love cover versions. [Big Grin]

Well, iirc, that's just one of those things white people like. ;P
http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/

However, it's not actually on that site - I'm quite certain it's in the book, though! (Incidentally, I picked it up at the Strand for a friend who didn't come to an after-Christmas party...so I guess it's mine now. [Big Grin] )

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2009 01:06      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There just aren't enough covers of Stairway to Heaven.

I particularly like the accordian, reggae and swing versions.

But by far the best cover version so far is by The Castanet Club

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted January 05, 2009 04:17      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Leona Lewis isn't that bad, is she?
Duran Duran's cover of Perfect Day by Lou Reed, as I explained in another post, is just marvelous. Even being a fan, I know they've made some missteps regarding to covers, some are cheesy (White Lines) but catchy, some are just bizarrely awful (911 Is A Joke).

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2009 05:09      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about the Ukelele Orchestra of Great Britain? Their covers are musically brilliant. They pay tribute to the originals while gently and affectionately sending them up. If you haven't heard them before, check out their version of Nirvana's "Smells like teen spirit" or or Kate Bush's "Wuthering Heights".

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2009 06:38      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
geekygoddess wrote:
I can't think of a single song where a cover was better than the original. Can you?

There are definitely some that far surpass the original. Aretha Franklin's remake of "Respect" (Otis Redding did the original) comes to mind. You can find both on YouTube and compare for yourself.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2009 08:18      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
What about the Ukelele Orchestra of Great Britain? Their covers are musically brilliant. They pay tribute to the originals while gently and affectionately sending them up. If you haven't heard them before, check out their version of Nirvana's "Smells like teen spirit" or or Kate Bush's "Wuthering Heights".

Callipygous: UOGB is pretty cool - I learnt the proper lyrics from their Nirvana cover. [Wink]

Other uke covers I'm partial to:

Ukulele weeps by Jake Shimabukuro ("While My Guitar Gently Weeps")
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puSkP3uym5k

Just Radiohead Ukulele (Radiohead - "Just")
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd3ULMHlkEM

Heart Shaped Box - Nirvana (Ukulele cover)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm149EycJ7k

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2009 10:46      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
There just aren't enough covers of Stairway to Heaven.

I particularly like the accordian, reggae and swing versions.

But by far the best cover version so far is by The Castanet Club

Ah, dude -- Rolf Harris totally 0wn3d that song with his version, complete with wobbly board.

"And it makes me wonder... how does it make you blokes feel?"

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2009 10:59      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Covers that are superior to the originals? I'd like to suggest:

1)Lick the Tins cover of Elvis' I Can't Help Falling In Love With You which is best found on the soundtrack of the movie, "Some Kind of Wonderful". There's a YouTube of the song here; the video has nothing to do with the song or the movie.

2) Somewhere Over the Rainbow by IZ. Memorial Video here, ukelele and all. Very Polynesian.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2009 11:40      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing I hate about a lot of covers is that too often they are note-for-note copies of the original. To me, it kills the idea of making a song new or original. Direct copies of songs you like are great if you are a bar band, or singing karaoke. Otherwise the artist needs to make it theirs. Unusual arrangements, vocals that surpass the original singers, or just taking a song and mangling it beyone belief.

DK's I Fought the Law is one that I think passed the muster.
And 311's version of Love Song is one I think failed.

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2009 12:45      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A lot of people don't realize that the 'originals' of these two songs are actually covers of earlier hits from the 1930's.

quote:
Kate Bush's "Wuthering Heights".

Kate's version was a cover of this 1930's classic movie theme.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
deathweaver
Geek Larva
Member # 24253

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2009 13:09      Profile for deathweaver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard a cover of "In the Air of the Night" by a metal band called Nonpoint. Most of us remember the original with Phil Collins. The cover was really well done.

IMO, that's the trick. You have to have a great song to start with and then do a cover track. A truly great song can be covered by anyone, and still sound kick ass. I also heard a cover of "Creeping Death" by Bullet for My Valentine, original by Metallica. Both of them are great songs in their own right, and to have another band do it justice is fantastic.

Posts: 24 | From: CA, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2009 17:59      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose I may be inviting ridicule here, as but that creaky old roué Rod Stewart was also a sensitive and compelling interpreter of other people's songs. He even had a go at a couple of Dylan songs which takes some chutzpah, and made a fair fist of them. Actually there is no reason why a singer should also be a song writer anyway.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2009 04:51      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I suppose I may be inviting ridicule here, as but that creaky old roué Rod Stewart was also a sensitive and compelling interpreter of other people's songs. He even had a go at a couple of Dylan songs which takes some chutzpah, and made a fair fist of them. Actually there is no reason why a singer should also be a song writer anyway.

Shamefully, I've always liked his voice, if not his leopard-skin wardrobe. I heard somewhere that Tom Waits earned more royalties from Rod Stewart covering his songs than he ever made singing them himself.

--------------------

littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2009 05:32      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe it's because I live in Scotland, but there is no shame in liking Rod Stewarts voice.

If it was the wardrobe however, that would be a different matter.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
skylar
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2009 07:59      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Jeff Buckley does an awesome Hallelujah. So does Rufus Wainwright for that matter. But perhaps this is unfair because while Leonard Cohen writes great songs his voice is meh.

I have been reliably informed by a friend still living in the UK that over the Christmas period, Jeff Buckley's posthumously re-released version of 'Hallelujah' made it to number two in the pop charts [thumbsup]

Unfortunately, Jeff was kept from the top spot by a reality show winner's cover version of the same song. While this in itself makes me wince, it wouldn't be so bad if her version wasn't such groan-inducingly cookie cutter RnB, complete with an overabundance of pointless vocal showboating [thumbsdown]

*sigh*... this is why I stopped taping the chart show off the radio when I was twelve [Razz]

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2009 08:01      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:

*sigh*... this is why I stopped taping the chart show off the radio when I was twelve [Razz]

I used to do that... I even pirated "Do They Know It's Christmas" off the radio... which I'll probably go to Hell for... [Smile]

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture