homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Happy Third Day of Christmas.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Happy Third Day of Christmas.
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2008 09:36      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_____________________ Hi Everybody, well we awoke to no power (electricity). So I stumbled around and made my way to the barn to start the generator set. Attempted to call the power company about the problem and the automated system was down, waiting for an operator would take thirty minutes. Got the generator started and banked into the load center, then I had to turn off the water heater, it draws too much power for this genset. So at various times today I have attempted to find out a restoration time, but because I had reported low voltage last week all I get is "your power has been restored".

So three different times today I have attempted to report the outage with the website, I don't think they are looking at that means, as of yet.

So at this time we are tossing the empties into the truck and getting ready to go to town and get more fuel, we use about a gallon an hour to run the furnace and refridgerator plus lights we had enough hot water for our morning showers but tomorrow looks iffy.

This morning I could see the sky shine at town from the street lights so I hope that the gas station has power.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2008 13:28      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lordy - that sounds too much like a real winter experience for me!

I hope you can keep on fetching generator fuel until the power comes back on.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 29, 2008 02:09      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
__________________ Hi Everybody, well all is normal here on the hill-top we got back with the extra 32 gallons of fuel, topped off the tank and prepared to go to bed. About three hours after sundown the neighbor's farm lit up, as I scanned the horizon it appeared that the power company had restored service. So out to the barn to shut down the genset and put the equipment away. So sixteen hours on the genset, at a gallon an hour vs fifteen cents when on the grid.

Today I am going to get smaller heaters for the water heater so I do not have to shut it off when we are on emergency power.

The Gust front that went through at 5:00AM or 10:00GMT or zulu for those that like that. Contained winds in excess of sixty miles per hour then sustained wind about forty miles per hour.

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. Sunday, December 28, 2008

Approximately 91,000 Local Power CO. electric customers are without service due to the high winds that swept across the state earlier today. Since early this morning, more than 183,000 customers have been affected by weather related outages.

The approximate numbers of Local Power Co. electric customers remaining without service in the following counties are as follows: Alcona (2,700); Allegan (1,800); Antrim (300); Arenac (3,000); Barry (1,800); Bay (4,700); Branch (600); Calhoun (3,200); Cheboygan (2,000); Clare (2,500); Clinton (1,600); Eaton (1,200); Emmet (450); Genesee (5,500); Gladwin (2,800); Grand Traverse (200); Gratiot (700); Hillsdale (700); Ingham (1,400); Ionia (3,300); Iosco (3,500); Isabella (1,700); Jackson (2,300); Kalamazoo (2,500); Kent (9,500); Lenawee (400); Livingston (1,600); Mecosta (300); Midland (7,500); Missaukee (600); Montcalm (3,200); Muskegon (50); Newaygo (175); Ogemaw (3,000); Oscoda (1,400); Ottawa (1,700); Roscommon (400); Saginaw (4,000); Van Buren (1,100); Washtenaw (800) and Wexford (1,300).

So I think that we got off lucky this time, my antennas are still up, and nothing was damaged. The extra gas will be used to run the snowblower and or plow.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2008 03:17      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad they got you back on so fast, still sucks that fuel costs so much.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 29, 2008 05:34      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:

The younger druidling was playing around with the 'world weather' app on the Wii today...

Druidling: "Dad, where's Yellowknife?"

Me: "It's where Cap'n Vic lives, in Canada"

Druidling: "Well, it's -31C there today"

Now that's too much like a real winter experience for this geek.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 29, 2008 06:09      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't suffer any damage, but let me tell you that driving a Smart in those winds can be a bit crazy. I made it home safe, but I saw some losing some parts. (An roof container got opened about 100 m. in front of me while passing over wider part of the St-Lawrence river. The unlucky guys lost some of the content into the water. I hope there's nothing that can't be replaced.)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 29, 2008 10:25      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stereo: If you're adequately bundled up, you might try putting all your windows down to reduce your surface area for the crosswinds. It won't be comfortable, but you might feel less like a toy being batted around by a cat. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2008 03:44      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_____________________ Well All Here it is the Fifth day of Christmas and we are in for Another Winter Storm. It is supposed to start at noon and end at 11:00AM tomorrow, Oh Joy. Any snow in excess of 1 & 1/2 inches (37MM) will will put us in record territory, for a Dec. Well I am going to have to put the plow in the barn today so I can put the heater under the engine, it starts much easier that way. less load on the starter.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2008 03:56      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was rumor that we'd have winds up to 20 m/s today, but that doesn't seem to be materializing.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2008 05:13      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
___________________ Latest update, according to one of the companies that makes and sells power in Michigan there are 4000 customers still without power from the Sat. storm. Since we have not heard from CP Me wonders if he is one of the affected?

It does appear that the reporting Station at Tawas point will establish a record for Dec. I am glad, I don't want to think that all this happy white stuff I shoveled was only second place.

Later still update.

Update 12/31/08 9:30am- The Corsair ski trails currently have about 3" of new snow on a frozen granular base of 4" to 6" with 6" to 15" of snow in the woods. As of this morning, the East Tawas NWS station reported 3.8" of new snow and a snow depth of 8". In December we received 44.8" of snow which broke the record snowfall for December of 42.2", set in 2000. The average temperature for December was 5 below normal. Gas prices in town- $1.59 to $1.65/gal. for regular.

Linky, Linky

http://www.tawasbayweather.com/

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2008 11:56      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:

The younger druidling was playing around with the 'world weather' app on the Wii today...

Druidling: "Dad, where's Yellowknife?"

Me: "It's where Cap'n Vic lives, in Canada"

Druidling: "Well, it's -31C there today"

Now that's too much like a real winter experience for this geek.

Whitehorse, my friend....Whitehorse. We're not usually as cold as Yellowknife but this year we've had an extended cold stretch. On a related note, a close friend just moved to Adelaide....whats that like? I've had a long hankering to go to Oz and with her place as a home base it may be worth while
Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2008 13:00      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
Whitehorse, my friend....Whitehorse. We're not usually as cold as Yellowknife but this year we've had an extended cold stretch.

Well, yeah, but it's gotta be close to Yellowknife, right?
I mean, how far can it be? Canada's quite a small country. [Wink]

quote:
On a related note, a close friend just moved to Adelaide....whats that like? I've had a long hankering to go to Oz and with her place as a home base it may be worth while
Adelaide's quite a nice town, my sis lived there for a while, so I know it fairly well. It's big enough (pop ~ 1 million) to have all the things you want from a city, small enough to avoid many of the problems of big city life.

The central city area has lots of parkland (which is probably looking quite parched now, long drought) and there's a river that flows through (probably nearly dry). It's close to one of the big wine-growing areas of oz, so you can drive(or take a bus tour if you're planning on getting shitfaced) from winery to winery, sampling some of Australia's finest.

It can be ridiculously hot in Summer, temperatures above 40C are not uncommon, so don't go in December-March unless you really like the heat.

Oh, and the tap water is notoriously bad, they take it from the end of a very long river that drains most of eastern Australia, by the time it gets to Adelaide, it's only theoretically fit for human consumption. Buy bottled water.

And if you pass through Melbourne, drop me a line, I'll buy you a beer.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture