homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Happy Christmas... so what did you get! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Happy Christmas... so what did you get!
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted December 25, 2008 08:35      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Merry Christmas Internet Beings!

I can't thank you folks enough for the gift you give us all year long, ... the gift of the web site visit. [Smile]

But enough of that... what did you GET??? Or give?

We haven't opened all of our gifts yet, (Nitrozac has been ill the past few days and is still zzzz,) but we opened a couple on Christmas Eve as is Nitro's family's tradition, and I received.... drum roll please... a Tim Horton's mug (awesome) and a bizarre Wii-controller shaped item containing mints (mind fsck).

Hope you had a good one... without any tears. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 25, 2008 09:31      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a spoon/scoop that weighs what is in it.

a rubik's cube (solution known and committed to memory, now working on speed.)

snowboard stuff (including a snowboard)

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 25, 2008 09:56      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____________________ TheMoMan Hi Snaggy, Well I got three rocks for my transceiver, (crystals for signal stability) as I have been informed that my signal runs up and down the band. I don't know why a transceiver built 30 years ago shouldn't be as stable as one of the new PLL models. Any way when I get through here I am taking the transceiver back out to the barn and see how these rocks perform.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 25, 2008 10:01      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got the Captain Harlock's first Arcadia! Very geeky! [thumbsup] (Also some hand-made jewelry and other things from my goddaugther. And her latest school picture.)

Oh, and I'll have a dressmaker mannequin, but I'll be buying it myself - my family will help me pay it.

I gave a lot of stuff, but the best one is a cheese knife (the kind with a little "fork" at the end) along with some traditionnal-made sausage for my would-be lumberjack of a brother.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 25, 2008 10:21      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mostly clothes. A lot of clothes, actually. And a fire-starter kit that includes magnesium for starting fires even with wet tinder... or just starting fires [devil wand]

--------------------
I'm curious... About what, you ask? EVERYTHING!

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 25, 2008 10:25      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not yet done the full on present-opening yet, but did the 'Christmas Eve' bit a la Nitrozac's family: Most important gift to open early was some coffee. [Wink] Next up, a gift certificate to the iTunes Store, as I've griped about the principle of not spending money for software updates - ultimately the second WIN, since I got the thing as a freebie. Beyond that...chocolate...mmmm...

Hope all is well for folks today, and a fine day to our Benevolent Dictators. Esp. Nitrozac - I hope you get better soon!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 25, 2008 10:29      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got an official red rider carbine action two hundred shot range model air rifle with a compass in the stock and this thing that tells time! I hope I don't shoot my eye out!!!

Think I have been watching "A Christmas story too much?"

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mac Geek
Geek-in-Training
Member # 25023

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 25, 2008 11:50      Profile for Mac Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was a Very Geeky Christmas for me (well chanuka)
Cause Santa was ME! (oy$, Oy$, oy$! Replaces Subset of of Ho$ Ho$ HO$) and Santa bought me (very narcissistic) A Canon EOS 5D Mark II camera (22mp glory!) a Canon 580 EX II Flash (with flash ring) EOS power Pack (for said above camera) so I am in piggy heaven (well Photographers piggy heaven)

Here is a link to Pictures taken with my ol' Canon Digital Rebel xti:

Flickr Portfolio

Jonathan

--------------------
Mac Geek Member # 25023
"I am not a Number, I am a FREE MAN"

Posts: 33 | From: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 25, 2008 12:04      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I didn't get nuthin', I had to pay $50 and pick up the garbage."

That's actually a fairly accurate description of this years Xmas, ah, the joys of parenthood.

I did get a set of these...

-

which sound really good.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted December 25, 2008 13:30      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A pair of socks and a L size jumper... well, got gifts before Christmas so I shouldn't complain: My new computer (at fscking last!) and VIP tickets for Duran Duran and Iron Maiden (gone to DD in November, going to Maiden on March). Again, those were not Christmas gifts, though.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 25, 2008 15:56      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I received a jar of home-made curried lentil soup mix, a book of puzzles, a pineapple, a set of state quarters and a Mr. Bento (with sporky goodness). I am told that there is also an oddly-shaped gift that will be a little late arriving.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 25, 2008 17:32      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clothes and the usual, however the topper was THE HILLARIOUS HOUSE OF FRIGHTENSTEIN!!!!!

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 25, 2008 17:46      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Drools at Mac Geek's camera*
Nice pics ya got there!!!

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 25, 2008 19:58      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me grumbles at Apple:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8684928&tstart=0

I've been burned by that...speaking as someone responsible for keeping resources operational, I'm pretty unimpressed by their inability to keep their servers going. :/ (And no, I'm not a poster in that thread, but I share the pain, and definitely feel like cursing them out.)

Here's hoping Boxing Day goes better...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Decaf Mati
Maximum Newbie
Member # 24151

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted December 25, 2008 20:24      Profile for Decaf Mati   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got to stay in the house for another year.
Posts: 10 | From: Orange County, California | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 26, 2008 01:04      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amazon gave me three great british pounds of MP3s - they'll do the same for other UK people trying the service too. (Offer valid 25/26 12 only!). (Used to be code only, now I think you need a UK credit card.)

EDIT: On second thoughts, maybe don't bother. Their MP3 downloader (which I tried to avoid) seems to have completely borked itunes. Of course YMMV. (OS 10.5.6, itunes 8.02, black macbook)

Details here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/browse.html?node=77197031

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2008 02:18      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An iTMS voucher, Eau de Cologne, single malt whisky and.....

a 4lb jar of jelly beans [Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

Also - I got a Christmas card from someone who was my best friend over 20 years ago but we lost touch a long time ago. That was nice. [Happytears]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 26, 2008 08:43      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a Go phone. After years of resisting a cell phone (Answer to a phone all day at work and like not having one), Michael said enough is enough. I think he got spooked by my black ice fender bender, which was minor, but he worries, which is nice.

My daughter got an Ariel mermaid. She went over the moon and then some. At my dad's I watched her just bubble over and glanced at my 13 year old niece. I realize the good gift stakes will be much higher in a few years. LOL

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2008 09:01      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got an LHC keychain!

-

No, I'm not just happy to see you. That really is physics in my pocket.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 26, 2008 09:31      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got beer!

-

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2008 11:55      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oooh beer!

The Sierra Nevada is pretty good. I haven't tried the other.

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 26, 2008 22:39      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now, we can only hope it was well delivered. [Wink]

And so my Apple troubles persist...but I have since gotten an awesome followup present from a friend to the north, and my evening brightened with a Christmas special that has left me peeking out from behind the couch. [Wink] [Big Grin]

P.S. fs: Awesome keychain!!!

--------------------

fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2008 17:47      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
and my evening brightened with a Christmas special that has left me peeking out from behind the couch.

It was quite good, wasn't it? I'm going to miss David Tennant. Any word yet on who "the next Doctor" will be?

--------------------

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2008 04:07      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fs - Any word yet on who "the next Doctor" will be?
After seeing the Christmas special, it seems much less likely to be David Morrisey, as was rumoured. This is a big relief.

Funny though, no-one will give me odds on the current Mayor of London, Boris Johnson. He would make a tip-top Doctor Who! [ohwell]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
stringlion
Mini Geek
Member # 4767

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2008 09:39      Profile for stringlion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fs:
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
and my evening brightened with a Christmas special that has left me peeking out from behind the couch.

It was quite good, wasn't it? I'm going to miss David Tennant. Any word yet on who "the next Doctor" will be?
I only watched half of the christmas special, as I've only seen like 3 episode of Doctor Who with David Tennant, and I didn't want to see too much. (I just started watching the show a little while ago.)
Posts: 94 | From: NYS, US | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture