homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Help, we are trapped at a bed and breakfast!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help, we are trapped at a bed and breakfast!
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted December 17, 2008 19:00      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We were trying to get home today, but a HUGE snowstorm hit Vancouver Island. It's the worst I've ever seen it here, roads closed, etc, etc... So we are stuck about 30 miles from home. Luckily we found a really nice B&B to stay at, an awesome old house and Internet access...yay!

Hopefully we can make it home tomorrow, although I doubt our road will be plowed for a few days.

[cry baby] I miss my cat!

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2008 19:07      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blah! Cry me a river!
I would do anything to be snowed in at a B&B with my honey!
I can not sympathize with you on this one Snaggs!

OTOH, I hope you left the kitty enough food [Eek!]

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted December 17, 2008 19:23      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They have another room here, I'll have them reserve it for you geekygoodness. [Smile]

edit: I just found a tray of goodies... chocolates, white chocolate almond bark, and shortbreads... oh the humanity! [Big Grin]

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2008 19:48      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'll be out in no time... but your roads won't smell this tasty.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2008 21:23      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh...yeah...I feel /so/ bad for you. [Razz]

Also, it doesn't sound quite as bad as the mess Mozilla went through this summer:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=448604

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2008 21:44      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to see you made it back to the rock. Pretty bad at this end... looks like I'll be digging out the store in the morning. Hope you are all ok and warm.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2008 22:26      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow that sounds amazing. I wish I were stuck in a snowstorm. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
CW Smith
Geek Apprentice
Member # 12150

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted December 18, 2008 05:57      Profile for CW Smith   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Careful what you wish for -- we're expecting 3" snow on top of 1/2" ice today and overnight.

--------------------
Peace,
CW

guitar, bass, percussion, Macintosh.
http://www.cwsmith.fm

Posts: 42 | From: Des Moines, IA USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2008 06:50      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only 30 miles? Why not just walk home? [Razz]

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2008 07:07      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because they have internet access and a plate full of chocolate and cookies. Duh [Smile]
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2008 14:08      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, you'll have plenty of time to work on the next installment of AY2K then? [evil]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 18, 2008 19:22      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
So, you'll have plenty of time to work on the next installment of AY2K then? [evil]

I second that, even if it's written on a napkin from the Inn's bar or something. [Razz]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
joliet_jane
Alpha Geek
Member # 818

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2008 14:57      Profile for joliet_jane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:

I second that, even if it's written on a napkin from the Inn's bar or something. [Razz]
I third that, even if it's written on a used napkin from the Inn's bar or something.

--------------------
Please Visit http://www.wideweb.com/phonetrips/
And for Phun on the Phone:
http://www.Telephone-Entertainment.com/

Posts: 330 | From: PA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2008 17:48      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Consider it your Christmas present to us [Big Grin]

</guilt>

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

neotatsu
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2008 21:24      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CW Smith:
Careful what you wish for -- we're expecting 3" snow on top of 1/2" ice today and overnight.

3 inches? We had three inches before another 4 dumped last night, and it's snowing again right now. Supposed to until Thursday.

What's worse, is at my aunts house where I'm supposed to spend christmas with my family they got 9 1/2 inches last night and it's probably snowing again there as well.

--------------------
I'm curious... About what, you ask? EVERYTHING!

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 22, 2008 08:36      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great.

My boyfriend and I are going to be driving into that shit tomorrow. Fucking fantastic.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 22, 2008 09:15      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
______________________ TheMoMan Here __ Those of you that think getting stuck in a snowstorm is neat or cool, do not know the real dangers of said storm. Caught in a car, what way is the wind from, as it may be very dangerous to run the engine. Off the road in a ravine, how long until you are found depends on how good a trip plan you left with friends. Cell coverage in some areas is very spotty.
How good is your local Search & Rescue unit, or the one in the area you are traveling through. Caught in a lodge with a snowed in parking lot, stay put as long as they have supplies.

Now since I just came in from removing the snow from our drive and the turn around, does any one want about fifty tons of snow? I will help load it for you but you must provide your own truck.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 22, 2008 11:27      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Great.

My boyfriend and I are going to be driving into that shit tomorrow. Fucking fantastic.

Please check in that you made in safe and sound if you are making that road trip.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 22, 2008 16:27      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will.

We delayed our departure by a day to sort out a pet-sitter crisis. That and we were waiting to see if/how my parents made it through. They came out this past weekend to see me walk up on a stage to get an empty diploma case all dressed up in my fine, rented doctoral robes (but I got to keep the funky, Harry-Potterish hat). Their flight home was canceled, Alaska had no idea if they'd be getting anyone out of Denver before Christmas, so they rented a car and drove. But they made it. They had to go slow through Idaho and creep over Snoqualamie Pass, but they made it. kreziserb and I are in a better car, we've made this drive before, and we've both driven in full conditions so I think we'll be okay. Nevertheless, we're taking a cell phone and survival gear. Tire chains too, just in case the winter tires aren't enough.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 23, 2008 05:00      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Canada was hit pretty hard yesterday (which meant I got a day off work -- woo hoo!) Looks like I flew back from Ontario just before the airport chaos properly ensued. The other night in Kingston we were virtually trapped in our hotel -- outside it was like a Siberian snow globe. I managed to wander two blocks to get a coffee (and a balaclava) before my eyes froze shut.

Anybody else have fun in the storm?

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 25, 2008 09:30      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Made it. Got in last night but was too tired to post. They shut the pass behind us to do avalanche control, but we made it. I-84 sucks in Eastern Oregon. Seattle's even worse once you get off the highways and arterials. Would you believe kreziserb and I got a little front-wheel drive Audi all the way over two mountain ranges (go traction tires!) and only slide three times...and all three of those slides were at low speed within one mile of my parents' front door??

Happy Holidays!

--------------------
- The Decemberists

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 25, 2008 10:11      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
___________________ Xanthine __ TheMoMan here, for snow or freezeing rain the Audi, Saab, and Volvo are probably the best at maintaining control. That said use of chains? Only sparingly to get unstuck and then remove them. The Constant Velocity joints (CVJs) in front wheel drive cars and even four wheel drive trucks and SUVs can not take the pounding of tire chains, Okay for getting unstuck but don't keep going on them unless you want big repair bills some time later.

Now hopefully it will not be as bad going back.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 25, 2008 10:35      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We didn't use chains at all. [Big Grin]

I hate chains. I grew up using them to go snowboarding 'cuz I was too broke for winter tires and my parents too cheap. Aside from the issues you mentioned (fortunately, I never messed up my car), putting them on was misery. I had the kind that went on easy, but still, I had to strip down to either thin gloves or no gloves to handle them and then the race was on: would Xanthine get her tire chains on before she lost feeling in her fingers or after?

We'll see for the return. The storm systems are supposed to keep on coming.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted December 25, 2008 10:54      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
whoa, glad you made it safe Xan!

Nitro, Nitrokitty, and I did the Snoqualmie Pass in June (i90), and that was bad enough. Last week, after our hair-raising adventure, Nitro bought some chains.

macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 25, 2008 12:32      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to see ya made it home safe X. Merry christmas an all.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture