homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Peek at the Peak to Peak!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Peek at the Peak to Peak!
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted December 16, 2008 21:32      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While in Whistler, Nitrozac and I took a ride on the new Peak to Peak gondola... a gorgeous ride, and so s m o o t h! Here's some snaps:

-

-

-

glass bottom view...
 -

-

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2008 08:24      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
verry sweet! too bad my sis was too afraid to ride that. I soooo wanted to ride that.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2008 17:42      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Snap" is not really a word I want to hear when it comes to vehicles suspended on a cable ;-)

Still, very nice photos! [thumbsup]

Edit: Holy shinblisters, I just read the related thread about the tower failure at Blackcomb. Now I doubly dislike that word [Frown]

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2008 00:58      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I had heard about the ride, but I still think for sheer terror the Rote Nase Télépherique at Zermatt is hard to beat. Also a peak to peak lift, with about a kilometre drop under it, and when I last took it it was with the older style cable car, the 30-40 people ones that looked a if they would fall to pieces if you sneezed to hard.

I wanted to try Whistler when I was over in Vancouver back in 1982, but even then it was 200-250 dollars for ski-hire, transport and ski-pass.
In those days a lot of Canadians used to fly to Switzerland for a couple of weeks ski-ing as it was cheaper than ski-ing in the Rockies.

I mean Zermatt costs about 80 CAN$ for a ski-pass and that is one of the most expensive I know. All right I am lucky in that I have over 200 ski-resorts within 3 hours drive.

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2008 01:11      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
200 resorts within 3 hours.... DUDE! I have to travel 3 hours to get to Mount NitroSnag... It's the only real game on the island and it opens today! I hit Whistler the day before N&S did. my first trip up.. I REALLY need to get back to Whistler, more runs, more mountains, more terrain.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2008 10:44      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well living in Geneva does have some advantages. It is the main airport for the North-Western Alps so we have the main Swiss and French resorts near. Ok some of them are 2-3 lift small villages to the 100+ lift areas like Val d'Isère - Tignes .

Also a lot of ski-areas have joined together giving total ski areas which stretch over hundreds of kilometres such as the Portes du Soleil which is about 45 minutes from me.

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2008 12:58      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beautiful pics, Snaggy! I think if I hadn't seen any of the other comments here, it would be very cool, but now I'd probably be a bit on edge about it. [Razz]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture