homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » If you saw what I ate...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: If you saw what I ate...
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 05, 2008 04:55      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so right after Thanksgiving, after I realized how yucky I felt by gorging on all the traditional holiday food, I decided to try a ten day detox to "cleanse" my body after feasting. Nothing major, just eat only fruits, veggies, and beans for ten days. This meant giving up my coffee, diet sodas, and meat. I have also been thinking of going vegetarian at the 1st of the year, so this was kinda a trial. Well, the first three days were complete hell, I was hungry, crabby, and evil, but now, day 6, I am feeling incredible. My energy is off the charts, people have asked me, why are you so peppy? But, I am noticing myself getting bored with the same foods already. I think after ten days meat may have to come back in, but I think coffee and sodas are gone forever. How do you veggies do this forever?

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 05, 2008 07:31      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't do it for forever, but for a lot of years.

Your first order of business is to get rid of any preconceived notions on how veggies should be prepared, and any on what types of food you eat.

You have to venture out and try other types of cuisine. Depending on the part of Tenn. you live in will also affect your decision. I grew up in parts of Kentucky not far from the Tenn. border and vegetarian cuisine was pretty lacking. Not sure if it still is.

But you will have to test and experiment, and even just grab stuff that you have no clue on what to do with it. Some stuff will be great, other stuff will go straight to the garbage bin, but you will start to find enough variety to keep you from getting too bored.

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted December 05, 2008 13:45      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats!

For me going veggie was easy, once I saw the love a mother cow had for her calf, and how cows from different farms called back and forth across the valley to each other. [Smile]

Get some good meat subs, and you won't miss it. Yves stuff is pretty good, their ground meat sub and their baloney.
veggie dogs good too.
http://www.yvesveggie.com/

chicken strips not so much. I prefer tofurky, especially the slices. And this other chicken sub we get, it's really good, i'll try to find the name for you.

GOGO GEEKY GOODNESS! [Applause]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted December 05, 2008 18:57      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mother has substituted meat subs for our dinners on occasion. She usually doesn't tell us till after I'm done eating because I refuse to eat them knowledgeably but I have to say, they're pretty damn good.

My brother doesn't eat eggs either and I've been tricked into eating some of those fake eggs. Tofu dogs and burgers aren't bad if done right. The bacon, well the bacon sucks.

Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted December 06, 2008 09:38      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My goodness, Geeky Goodness,

Vegetarian for a while. Hmmmm?

Just this year I returned to a more healthy cooking and eating style. While it is not totally a vegetarian diet, it certainly does have its basis in some good vegetarian cooking principles. It has helped me lose 25 pounds this year, and I'm still losing 'em.

I learned a lot from the ex-wife, who was head cook at a hippy-dippy communal camp and molecular biology student when we first met. She is now Co-Director of Cardiological Research for Pfizer and lectures around the world on the subject of heart health. If nothing else, that 18-year union gave me a balanced view of vegetarian cooking, which separated good nutrition from some vegetarian mythology.

First thing to learn: Molly Katzen, author of some wonderful books like "The Moosewood Cookbook", and "The Enchanted Broccoli Forest". Here is a link to her website:

http://www.molliekatzen.com/books.php#nutrition

Be sure to check out the recipe link while you are there. Plenty of good vegetarian recipes to keep you from getting bored!

Another thing I learned is: vegetarian meat substitutes are awful. With few exceptions forget about them. There is no substitute for a rotisserie roasted chicken with a good, dry Riesling, cedar-plank-grilled, salmon with a buttery Chard, USDA Prime Filet Mignon with a spicy Zin, or (my favorite) world-championship ribs and a cold Bud from the 17th Street Grill in Murphysboro, Illinois; the last time I went there it was like the best day of my life. And we can never have too many of those, can we?

Plus, we are omnivores, we need our B-complex vitamins, which are lacking in a pure vegetarian diet. Tiger milk, bleah!

The way I look at it, a good, daily base of vegetarian meals allows us to indulge on the shady, carnivorous side of our humanity from time to time.

In regards to meat substitutes, you can see my personal POV come through from Molly in her Vegetarian Chili recipe, found in "The Moosewood Cookbook", page 176,

"A traditional chili, except with bulgur and without ground meat. Although the concept of 'meat substitutes' is hardly compelling, the bulgur really does give a ground-beef-like texture. It also enhances the protein content"

The second sentence addresses the issue of complementing proteins, where you complement the amino acid contents of two different vegetable foods to create more complete, higher value protein in what you are eating.

While I don't like the slimy texture of tofu very much, I do find that it is an excellent substitute for eggs in an egg salad sandwich.

Another good book, "Beard on Bread" by the late, great food writer, James Beard, "the quintessential American cook". Bread (not the Wonder kind) really is the staff of life, and it is vegetarian.

Hope this helps.

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted December 06, 2008 09:55      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Darn it, I hit "quote" instead of "edit".

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted December 06, 2008 13:44      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
originally posted by geekygoddess - How do you veggies do this forever?
There are three main tactics to achieve this goal -

1) Don't fall for the common misconception that a vegetarian diet is automatically uber-healthy and uber-dull. Vegetarian junk food is some of the finest on the planet. If you need a real treat, then you can't beat a proper chip butty. White bread, lots of salty butter and home-made chips (i.e English chips - not french-fries and not crisps, but "fingers" of potato a good 0.5"x0.5" on the cross section and long as your potatoes will allow. Deep fry once in fairly cool sunflower oil until they are soft all the way through, remove from the oil, heat the oil until a cube of bread dropped in 'dances' in the hot fat and browns immediately. Then return the chips to the oil and fry again until crisp and golden. Season with plenty of salt and vinegar. When the hot chips hit the buttered bread, you should get melted butter running down to your elbows. Wash it all down with hot strong tea. Heaven.

2) Look at the great vegetarian dishes from around the world - Northern Indian, Thai, Italian etc. Learn what the classic flavour combinations are (Tomato/Basil or potato/cumin or cheese/onion etc) and then experiment. You can make wonderful veggie soups, bakes and stews for next to no money at all.

3) Decide whether or not you like fake meat. If you do, then you can eat plenty of things similar to your usual omnivorous diet. If you don't, it doesn't matter. Many veggies consider fake meat to be ideologically unsound, and so there is some kudos attached to eschewing it. Either way, you get an advantage ( and some comfort) out of your choice.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 06, 2008 14:12      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been a vegetarian since I was 14 and managed to convince my mom I wasn't going to die of kwashiorkor if she let me stop choking down the miniscule amounts of meat she was forcing me to eat (seriously, I've always hated the stuff). I'm 27 now and I don't think anyone who's followed my (mis)adventures is going to argue that I'm not (physically) healthy. It's easier than you think. Everything that ever lived contains protein. Some sources are just richer than others.

Get some recipe books. The Whole Foods cookbook has some lovely vegetarian dishes. So does the Moosewood Cookbook. And once you've got in the swing of things and have learned whole new ways of using your spice rack, you can branch out on your own and start making shit up.

You're not stuck with just beans, by the way. Lentils, nuts, mushrooms, and, of course, soy products all contain protein. Quinoa's another good one. Rinse it well and cook it like rice. The more your vary your protein sources, the easier and tastier it is to get what you need.

A word about Thai: Thai food relies heavily on fish sauce. Soy sauce works as a substitute so long as you aren't trying to fool yourself into thinking you're being authentic. Always check the ingredients before you buy anything for an Asian-inspired meal. Unless you're going for Indian. Indian cuisine is very favorable for vegetarians since most of India is under some dietary restriction or another and to help everyone get along there're lots of dishes that don't include meat. Also, if you're not sure about the ingredients list, look for a kosher stamp. The Jewish dietary laws are on your side. Anything marked as kosher dairy is, by definition, vegetarian-friendly.

ETA: if you're keeping eggs and dairy in your diet vitamin supplements are at your discretion. I do eggs, I do dairy, and I don't do vitamin pills. I get away with it and my mom thinks I'm a mutant for that. I think she's just overly nervous. However, if you're going to go all the way and be a vegan, you will need to take vitamins. B-12, for example, is something humans can ONLY get from animal sources or pills. Iron's also hard to pick up out of a purely plant-based diet, though dark leafy greens help.

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 10, 2008 04:57      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A little update if you want...

Yesterday I went to lunch with a friend, I was thinking I may want some meat, but just ordered a salad. When her food came out, the smell of the meat made me throw up a little bit in my mouth. It might have just been what she ordered, I don't know. Which made me remember a time in my twenties when I got really sick on Sambuca, now anything remotely representing licorice makes me ill, fast! Just sayin'. Ughhh!

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 10, 2008 08:43      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if the "chicken" you are thinking of is Quorn

http://www.quorn.us//cmpage.aspx?section=home

I use the frozen bags of "chicken" pieces. They aren't breaded. They just look like cut up pieces of breast meat. I like it for dinners I throw together after work.

One of my favourite Moosewood cookbooks is Sundays at Moosewood. It has a great recipe for shepherds pie and a good bake savoury tofu recipe

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture